mtbr member

Perry Hill, Ride it.

I rode some of Perry Hill for the first time yesterday. All I can say is this, if you haven't been there before you need to go. I was a little reluctant going in due to the lack of maps but once I got there I found it's signed pretty well. It's a little confusing because some people refer to the trails by names and others by color. I only saw one trail sign with a name.

I followed the green trail to the top. What a climb. The only other time I've done that much sustained climbing is when I rode most of the way up Burke Mountain on the toll road. Once to the top I headed right onto what I believe was the green trail. I'm not a super tech rider and I was able to ride most of the stuff out there. There is ride arounds on the harder stuff too. Lots of fun. Once to the bottom of that, which takes you about 1/2-2/3 up the the climb I headed out the red to yellow loop. This section of trail had some tech elements that were a bit much for me and I walked some of them. Still fun. I then hit the yellow the rest of the way down through the soft woods. This trail was a blast. People who know that trail must fly down through there.

I plan to go back to ride what I've missed. I used a gps map I found on here and some route suggestions from various threads. This is the map I followed. My initial route is in orange and the second part in yellow.

Is the section in black the trail that has a closed sign on it?

I rode this all on a hardtail 29er set up 2X9. There was lots of granny gear climbing for me. A couple years ago I wouldn't have made the climb though. It is definitely some of the best trails I've ridden. Worth the work to get to the top and worth the trip.

mtbr member
    yes the section in block is now closed. Glad you had a good time. The Blue trail, also known as Rasta Man, has a few interesting techincal sections that you will enjoy....just have to bone up on your technical skills for next time.
    Get out and Ride!!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    so I can stop calling the trails by colors anyone want to PM the names.

Green = Joes?
    Red = Burning Spear?

mtbr member
    There was a few things I rode up to and stopped, thinking I couldn't ride it. I'd then back track a bit and ride them. So much of it is in my head. Most of the things I skipped were steep downs that may have had some kind of drop off to them. Did more walking on the Red area than the Green though.

mtbr member
    BushwakerinPA -
    Red- Joes
    Green - Permission to burning spear
    Blue - Rasta Man
    Yellow - first Born to Camp fire

Those are the basic names you need to know for the marked trails
    Get out and Ride!!