-Fly you fools!-

Perry Hill Question...

Hey guys,

I'm from New Jersey and will be going up to Smugglers Notch over the next couple days and am planning to bring a bike to ride. Based on some research, I'm thinking I'm gonna ride Perry Hill in Waterbury but I was wondering what bike is good for there. I have a Santa Cruz Nomad and a 26" hard tail, and I was wondering what would be better suited?

Also, I was wondering if there are any good trail maps or at least recommended routes for riding there. My understanding of the place is you climb right from the start and then downhill pretty much the whole way back, but I was wondering if there are certain spots I should hit?

Thanks for any help.

Scott D.
    '08 SC Nomad w/ DHX-C 5.0 & Lyrik U-turn

Planet Bike - East Brunswick, NJ - http://planetbikenj.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nomad

yes, people do ride it on hardtails, rigid, singlespeed, etc., but this is really the kind of place the Nomad was built for.

mtbr member
    use your nomand if it is your first time.

best route...follow green arrow to top. follow that trail down then onto the blue loop. If you still have enough gas after climbing out of the end of the blue loop, follow the red loop back up and ride that down to the yellow loop and then back to the parking lot. you do a big climb to start and then most of the climb again to get back up to the red trail. lots of fun down in between.
    Get out and Ride!!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I have a SS 29er and it does pretty good but if I had Nomad, id take the Nomad everytime to perry hill

trail magician
    Just rode almost 15 miles there today. Legs are feelin' it! Thanks to the SMBC for maintaining this nice network!

trail magician
    Scotty, not that you won't have tons of fun at Perry Hill, but Smuggs is a little closer to Saxon Hill in Essex, which is very fun but not as technical as Perry. There are also some fun trails in Stowe.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnRider View Post
    Scotty, not that you won't have tons of fun at Perry Hill, but Smuggs is a little closer to Saxon Hill in Essex, which is very fun but not as technical as Perry. There are also some fun trails in Stowe.
    Lots of trails also north of the notch...

but if i wanted to sample the best trailof VT in one day with a nomad: Waterbury would be it!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    I'm going out on a limb here - Nomad.

I've ridden Waterbury on an old Enduro, a Pitch and a Niner RIP9. Full suspension all the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    HTs are fine for Waterbury. Nothing too gnar for a good All Mountain Hard Tail.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    HTs are fine for Waterbury. Nothing too gnar for a good All Mountain Hard Tail.
    ...and having DaveVT's skills helps as well...

i've done Waterbury on the rigid SS... loved it... but as a first timer, i know i would enjoy it way more on the squishy!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Thinking about riding Perry Hill tomorrow and have a couple quick questions. I'm under the impression that the different colored loops are fairly well marked, is this so? I've read mention of a kiosk in a few threads, does this have a map of any kind? I found a gps map that gives a general idea. Looking forward to riding there, heard and read lots of good.

mtbr member
    If you have a mp from online along with th trail markings you will be able to find our way around easily. There is not a map at the Kiosk at this time. There is a little information about the routes and ride time will very depending on how hard you want to go. You can also find additional information in this forum with suggested routes.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    I have a GPS map, no GPS though. It's marked with routes, but there is no indication as to what's what. I'll figure something out.