Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pats Peak Mountain Bike Festival - June 14 & 15, 2014

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  newmarketrog 
#1 ·
Yellow Text Font Technology Electric blue

13th Annual Pats Peak Mountain Bike Festival
3 Events, 1 Weekend - June 14 & 15, 2014
There are lots of options to choose from including 24.12.6 Hours, Cross Country and Downhill (with many categories). Bicycle riders from all over come to PATS PEAK to participate in this exhilarating bike weekend. All the information is online at Pats Peak NH Ski Resort - Mountain Bike Festival Online Registration is OPEN!

See less See more
#6 ·
Turnout was extremely low this year. I know in general the 24hr scene is pretty much gone compared to all the options we had about 10-15 years ago, but can people post on here why they do not attend the Pat's Peak event? I do not want to see it vanish as I like the hard course, though I could deal with the climbing being broken up more, and the fact that it is only 20 minutes from my house.

#7 ·
seems like many of the endurance folks have moved on to the NUE 100K/100mi scene. I think nowadays 6/12/24hr stuff does better if they incorporate more of a festival feel like at Great Glen.

I also don't know many other endurance races that take place at a ski resort. The difficulty and climbing of those courses lend themselves pretty well to XC but maybe most just aren't that keen to lap them over and over and over particularly when there are so many more and varied endurance options now.

#8 ·
Back when I used to race, I often wondered why I paid to put myself in such pain. I love to ride and I don't mind suffering, but don't see any reason to pay to charge faster than I really want to go.

I have no experience with the Pat's race course but it seems like Enduro is all the rage. Maybe the organizers just need to offer what people are currently into.

#10 ·
Back when I used to race, I often wondered why I paid to put myself in such pain. I love to ride and I don't mind suffering, but don't see any reason to pay to charge faster than I really want to go.
racing puts you in places where you'd never go from just going out riding. pain. pleasure. pain. pleasure. suffer. recover.

plus it's makes the most grueling rides seem pretty ho hum when yer not racing or riding at race pace. racing makes you way faster too. if yer into that sort of thing.

you pay because you'd never experience those places by just going out riding for free.

but you know all of this rob.

rog

#11 ·
My wife and I have have done Pats a couple times, last time was in pissing rain and our best rider dislocated his shoulder on the first lap.......our team was DNF right from the start and throughout the day so many teams dropped out as the conditions were horrible.

The biggest reason we don't do it is that it is early in the season usually and many years the conditions are iffy.......you are riding over so much grass that any little bit of rain etc. turns that course into miles of 5" deep sqishy mess that is no fun to lap.

Don't get me wrong I like the course......hell on the legs climbing then hell on the upperbody with the decents for 24 hrs.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against mud etc. as we have done two of the nastiest years at Glen on record and they were mud-fests. Pats kept getting smaller and smaller.....

Not sure what they can really do as others have stated, the area seems to only be able to support one real 24hr/12hr race the past couple years. Then there are the 50milers etc. and a lot of people are swapping to the dirt road cyclcross kind of stuff.

#12 ·
man i wish they'd bring back the 24 hours of adrenalin at holiday farm in dalton mass. such a great course and well attended for a few+ years. such a way better course than great glen ever was or will be. did great glen in 02' in dry conditions and was mystified as to why folks would want to travel and pay to ride/race there.(shrug)

rog

#13 ·
While the course at Glen has come a long way since 2002, there are still a decent amount of carriage roads in there. Overall the course is much much better than it initially was with new singletrack added each year. That being said, the course might be a 5 or 6 on a 1-10 scale while the event is a 9......pick up the event support, management etc. and drop it on a better course and that would be an awesome event.

Never got a chance to ride Dalton, I missed it by one year, wanted to sign up and poof it was gone....

Given our heavy work schedule etc. I don't have time to train for a 24 anymore so I'm out for a while on these either way. I ride for fun now but with the new race formats coming out, I'm tempted to jump into something.....just not cyclecross.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.