Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NOT a deer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

NOT a deer!

Guys and gals with guns in the woods for the next couple weeks. Alot of Vt trails are out of play. A few places are still good to go. Norwich land is hunt-free. Pine Hill I imagine is too. Where else can we ride that doesn't get hunted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cady Hill, Adams Camp, and Sterling Valley are big hunting areas in Stowe. Town Loops are usually safe - but still wear orange, and avoid daybreak and dusk...

mtbr member
    Sunny Hollow and Saxon Hill are open, some adjoining land may be open to hunting, so be smart and wear orange.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A good thing to remember is that in VT, if the land isn't posted with "No Hunting" signs, there could be hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Norwich land is hunt-free.
    Does this include the high elevation singletrack?
    "Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go. We just ride." - Robert Hunter

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny View Post
    A good thing to remember is that in VT, if the land isn't posted with "No Hunting" signs, there could be hunters.

That's a really good reminder. There's also a couple of lines I've heard to describe the first week or so of rifle season. If it's brown it's down! And - Snap, Crack, Bang!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharny View Post

Most of it. The Paine Mtn. Trail is on town land, but if you take the low route and pick up the ridge trail at the saddle, as soon as you turn onto the singletrack you are on school land with technically is hunt free. The shelter and first section of singletrack, known as the goat path, are town land and hunted. There's a good chance people are hunting on the school property, but are not supposed to be. I'd feel pretty good about heading up and picking up the ridge trail from the saddle mid-day.

Tool
    Hunters have never bothered me a bit. The few irresponsible ones only seem to shoot one another.

Wear orange, make noise, and try not to think about how many times you've been blissfully unaware of being in a hunter's sights, because unless they're on the move, you're not likely to spot a good hunter.

I've never heard of a mtn biker getting shot by a hunter. Has this ever occurred?
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Hunters have never bothered me a bit. The few irresponsible ones only seem to shoot one another.

Wear orange, make noise, and try not to think about how many times you've been blissfully unaware of being in a hunter's sights, because unless they're on the move, you're not likely to spot a good hunter.

I've never heard of a mtn biker getting shot by a hunter. Has this ever occurred?
    I'm not afraid of actually getting shot. I just want to repect the fact that we recreate on land that gets hunted. They have a 2 week season to get deer and we definitly bum them out when we are out on the land they are trying to hunt on. It's hard enough for hunters, many of whom are also Mountain Bikers, to find land that is not posted. So for the 2 weeks of rifle season, it just seems only right to me to let them have the woods to put some meat in the freezer. Maybe it's just me, but if for the next 2 weeks I can limit where I ride to places they can't hunt, I'm helping them out and being a more accomodating land user. Anyone else feel this way or am I an anomoly?

Tool
    I see - that is very considerate of you! I don't think there is any shortage of hunting space here in southern NH, and I believe some of the hunters actually leverage trail traffic since it periodically flushes game away from the trails and into their sights.

think
    Jul 2008
    A hunter told something along those lines as well Pete. Said the cyclist were no problem and often helpful.

I personally never worry about getting plugged, and having almost run into a deer twice while riding and seen many more up close I figure they can't be too concerned with what I'm up to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So what your saying is Bearbrook is open!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    "repect the fact that we recreate on land that gets hunted. They have a 2 week season to get deer and we definitly bum them out when we are out on the land they are trying to hunt on."

I'm with DaveVT. We have the woods 11 months of the year, give them a break!

Some hunters can use the bike traffic to their advantage, but they are in the minority. If you had waited all year for this chance, hiked in before dark, sat for hours, freezing your ass off, heard a deer coming along that game trail you scoped out last week, only to have it spooked off by some bikers, you'd probably be pissed enough to tear down some trail signs. (not that I'm saying that's OK.)

Let's share. It's their turn.

STAB's Ascutney Sport Trails are closed from November 1st until the end of deer muzzle-loader season on December 9th. The trails are open for night use, when hunting is not permitted. But wait until dark - the hunters have until 1/2 hour past sunset, and they tend to get a little trigger happy at the end of a fruitless day.

mtbr member
    The Green Mountain Trails in Pittsfield are closed for deer hunting season.

Moderator Moderator
    Millstone's open...and if you are interested in winter riding there, please post your interest on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mills...ref=ts&fref=ts

Millstone Trails Association
    Greetings, we will be open both days this weekend from 10:00 to 3:00. This will be our last weekend for the biking season. Please wear bright colors. If you are a season's pass holder please display your pass on your dash. If not, please come in and pay the trail fee. Thanks for a great summer season. If our Board of Directors decide to have mtn. biking this winter, we will post that info on our homepage in December...the management

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pine Hill in Rutland is open and should be hunter-free.
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll with Manitou Minute Super 140mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Although probably out if the way for you, mud pond in williston is a gun-free zone.

I'm thinking night riding should be ok right? Getting dark about 5pm, and you can only shoot dawn to dusk, I think. Is that correct?

I've been digging the night rides lately. After work, nice and cold, hard packed trails and a head lamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Although probably out if the way for you, mud pond in williston is a gun-free zone.

I'm thinking night riding should be ok right? Getting dark about 5pm, and you can only shoot dawn to dusk, I think. Is that correct?

I've been digging the night rides lately. After work, nice and cold, hard packed trails and a head lamp.
    Yes, hunting is permitted until 1/2 hour past sunset, which puts it at almost 5:00 today.

Headlamp? You should be able to smell a good trail.

vermonter
    in Brattleboro all the retreat trails, hillwinds trails and the memorial park trails are leaf and hunter free...some parts of the trail up to petes are not posted and pleasant valley is open to hunters and they are usually out-of-stater's so steer clear of there in the daytime. lights are best option for hunting season riding, most deer have built in night vision and don't require lights like feeble humans....

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if for the next 2 weeks I can limit where I ride to places they can't hunt, I'm helping them out and being a more accomodating land user. Anyone else feel this way or am I an anomoly?
    This is a great way of looking at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    This is a great way of looking at it.
    He's from Vermont, he can't help it. But I totally agree, we can and should share public use lands.

mtbr member
    I prefer to be an obnoxious butt hole at saxon hill during hunting season due to the fact that the adjacent land owners have no regard for the public park.
    I see where they are coming from, but the park was there before them. -Still a punk at heart.

Tool

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    im thinking that most hunters are active early in the am and right before dusk
    maybe avoid the woods during those times.

Ive never heard a hunter complain about mtn bikers though, Yudicky has 6 or 7 active tree stands, and is virtually covered in bike trails. If the hunting was no good because of bikes I think they would move on, but since they dont and they were adding mmore stands this year I dont see any issues.

Bear brook only allows hunting in certain areas

in NH you can hunt anywhere its not posted even private property, 7 days a week
    Ma. & Maine no hunting on Sundays

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Live & Let Live

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    I guess fair is fair.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race