Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Northfield VT...

Got an email....town forest will be open to development of MTB trails. 600 ares in total, starting this month. ALSO, Norwich is in the planning stages of developing a XC recreation center and renovation of the old ski area base buildings on 600 adjoining acres....pretty stoked. Anyone interested in helping with the contruction of the town forest trails, pm me. The local VMBA chapter (Northfield Trail Assn.) will be helping the town plan the network and build the trails. The potential here is HUGE. 1200 acres that also ties into Berlin TF and Irish Hill currently being developed by the Montpelier VMBA chapter. Many hands make light work.
    dave

mtbr member
    This is awesome dave. Can't wait to help.
    We Ride,Repair,and sell bikes. Live,Love,Ride the Dream in Vermont at:http://bikeexpressvt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Put me on work party Email list. TrailnerdATgmavtDOTnet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Update after a year or so. The town conservation commision is moving very slowly. I have been to many meeting. It seems there is likely to be MTB access on the town forrest up to the summit of Paine. Their management recomendation will be passed along to the town select board soonish (this calander year?) Norwich University went ahead and hired Sinuosity out of Hinesburg to build out a 10 mile recreation trail network in and around the abandon ski hill across the street from Norwich University. There is exsisting DH trail here that Tim has been taking loving care of and with the addition of the prposed trails there will be a couple more "down" oriented trail, and an "up" that helps us mortals gain the top of the ski hill. From there there will be a loop out the back of the ski area to extend near the top of barrows rd and the far edge of the school property. Assuming the town does eventually give us permission to use exsisting trails on their parcel, that plus the trail on the adjoining Norwich land will add up to a descent amount of trail. All in all at least 15 miles. Starting at 800 and peaking out at just under 2400...pretty cool stuff unfolding. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Update after a year or so. The town conservation commision is moving very slowly. I have been to many meeting. It seems there is likely to be MTB access on the town forrest up to the summit of Paine. Their management recomendation will be passed along to the town select board soonish (this calander year?) Norwich University went ahead and hired Sinuosity out of Hinesburg to build out a 10 mile recreation trail network in and around the abandon ski hill across the street from Norwich University. There is exsisting DH trail here that Tim has been taking loving care of and with the addition of the prposed trails there will be a couple more "down" oriented trail, and an "up" that helps us mortals gain the top of the ski hill. From there there will be a loop out the back of the ski area to extend near the top of barrows rd and the far edge of the school property. Assuming the town does eventually give us permission to use exsisting trails on their parcel, that plus the trail on the adjoining Norwich land will add up to a descent amount of trail. All in all at least 15 miles. Starting at 800 and peaking out at just under 2400...pretty cool stuff unfolding. Stay tuned.
    Nice work! Glad to see your persistence will be paying off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Exciting news. I live up near exit 5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plumbitup
    Exciting news. I live up near exit 5.
    yea. I live in Northfield too. With the news that Millstone will likely be purchased and designated town forrest by Barre town, which will mean free riding and a real trail work effort, and this development, CVT is getting cooler by the second.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am looking for some trails in the Northfield area, I will be graduating from norwich in June and would love to ride that week, any helpful information on trails in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Go to Millstone. And head accross the street and check out what's going on. Not a ton of stuff finished yet, but worth checking out for a quick ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for the info, is it close to Norwich?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
    thanks for the info, is it close to Norwich?
    do asearch on this site for millstone. The trails at Norwich are going in accross the street at the old ski hill.

mtbr member
    Any update on the scale and scope of this project? I know some sanctioned building has been happening but are we still talking about a 1200 acre area for the long term?

Either way, subscribed to this thread for updates and work days. I'm in Montpelier with some tools and additional recruitable labor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i've been emailing Brooke, and the school has indicated they are interested in building out the entire proposed project on their 600+ acres piece, of which about 1/3 is roughed in. The adjoining 600 acre town forrest is still waiting on a finalized management plan, but from what I've gleened from conversations witht the town forester, they are going to aprrove use on exisiting trail by MTBs, which means the Paine Mtn Trail from the old Cheney Farm where the town water works is now will be a viable climb to the summit of Paine, which will tie into singletrack at the back end of the Norwich lot. If everyhing that is getting talked about get's build it will be 12-15+ miles of multiuse/singletrack in and around the abandon ski area in Northfield.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Been working with Brooke and Jason finishing up phase 1 of the Norwich project which will be about 6 miles of trail. He has submitted a proposal for phase 2 which they are in the fund raising stage of. The trail going in as part of phase 1 is mostly 50 inch wide, buffed out, bermed out, pumpy trail with some tables and small airs. FUN to ride. Phase 2 will consist of more bike trail behind the ski area built more like modern bench cut single track and add a few more miles of trail, if it gets funded.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A teaser...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-norwichberm2resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nice berms! How does one find a trailhead in that area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trailhead

At the old ski hill across the street from Norwich University, actually on Cresent Street. Pull in amongst the new landscaping and construction and find the dirt lot on the left. There is a map on the side of the new Outdoor Center, which is the new building just up from the lot. There is still alot of work to do on drainage on some trails so please avoid riding the wet stuff. I think of the 6 miles of trail in phase 1 about1/2 to 2/3 is 100 percent done.

beer thief
    Top notch. Is this machine built, hand finished? I'm guessing 50" means mini-ex was used?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Top notch. Is this machine built, hand finished? I'm guessing 50" means mini-ex was used?
    Yup. Mini excvavator and a ditch witch, finished with hand tools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Broke ground on new trail last week, onto the last major section of new work of phase 1. It will be machine built, generally DH specific, I think 30 inch tread. It is flagged and cleared and starts at the top of the old ski hill. Skier's right side of the old lift line. As you drop in to the Old DH MTB trail it spilts left almost immediately. Switchbacks accross the DH tral a few times, eventually crosses the lift line and connescts to the southern most DH line off of the old "StageCoach" ski trail immediately below the old big ladder drop. Eventually it feeds into the Green trail right where all the sweet berms start on that downhill section. It is rideable in it's rough form now, but watch out for some stumps and other rubble. I think this run is gonn abe pretty legit. Finger's crossed for phase 2 funding.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sin...64842803631438
    Last edited by DaveVt; 06-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Looks like some awesome work going on there! Well done.

skiing/biking is life....
    yah! looking real nice over there, great job guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Norwich Trails Map and Comments

Took Father's Day to explore what is going on in Northfield. Really enjoyed the trail construction and the climb to to the top. A few observations, much of the trail cornering construction appears to be designed more for coming down than going up. As a comparison the trails in Pittsfield ride equally well in both directions. The wooded section of the solid yellow trail (see map) could use a little attention when it comes to thumb size stumps. There a still quite a few "gothcha's" to watch out for in the wooded duffy portion of the trail. Especially if your headed in downhill. After almost busting a lung within 50 yards of the top we rode down the dotted orange (see map) . Very challenging in it's current state. Can't wait to ride the final product. All in all I really liked the area and plan to return. It's not that far from home base in Morrisville. It will be even better if/when it can get linked in with Irish Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-norwich_trails-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The Irish hill link is very possible. Northfield has two parcels of town forrest. One is the northern boundry of the Norwich property we are working on, the other is to the north of Turkey Hill rd. If access was given to this piece, we could almost connect directly to the class 4 section of Darling Hill rd which is part of the Irish hill ride. Last I heard, a couple years ago, the conservation comission was no recomending any uses for this piece of town forrest because of an endangered salamander. Not to say it will never happen. Hopefully as the scene grows here in town, we can get a little more organized and have that conversation.
    And be warned. This area is in the middle of construction. You will ride finished trail, partially built, leaf blown areas that will soon be trail, and old school rake-and-ride DH stuff. Be on your toes for stumps and machinery on the unfinished sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    during my graduation from norwich this week I had the opportunity to ride the Northfield mountain and I thought the trails were were clean and flowing coming down the mountain, the climb was tough but that is how it is supposed to be. Coming from Maine the trails were very different, not allot of technical spots but great scenery. I also had the opportunity to ride millstone and waterbury vt, both spots were great, my hats off to all that maintain the trails in northfield, I can't wait to get back.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow. I am super happy to see these developments.

I lived in Northfield and Montpelier for a few years while my wife and I taught at Norwich. Not the right academic environment for us, but we definitely dug the outdoor scene which, for us, was primarily hiking and snowshoeing. We did a TON on Paine (with an infant/toddler on my back) and I was always eyeing up the trails (and fearing the big DH drop at the top). But, I wasn't really into massive riding.

Fast forward a few years and I'm riding a ton and not doing too much hiking. Can't wait to visit that neck of the woods and hit these new NU/Northfield trails. Possibly during an August trek to Kingdom trails. Curious about the Millstone developments. Only rode there once, but it was fun. Are the land owners donating the land to Barre Town?

Not to take this too far off topic, but how are the trails north of Montpelier holding up?

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor76 View Post
    Wow. I am super happy to see these developments.

I lived in Northfield and Montpelier for a few years while my wife and I taught at Norwich. Not the right academic environment for us, but we definitely dug the outdoor scene which, for us, was primarily hiking and snowshoeing. We did a TON on Paine (with an infant/toddler on my back) and I was always eyeing up the trails (and fearing the big DH drop at the top). But, I wasn't really into massive riding.

Fast forward a few years and I'm riding a ton and not doing too much hiking. Can't wait to visit that neck of the woods and hit these new NU/Northfield trails. Possibly during an August trek to Kingdom trails. Curious about the Millstone developments. Only rode there once, but it was fun. Are the land owners donating the land to Barre Town?

Not to take this too far off topic, but how are the trails north of Montpelier holding up?

Best,
    Mark
    The town of Barre is trying to buy the Rock of Ages land that Millstone exists on as town forrest. They are in the fund raising stages. Riding in Montpelier remains much as it has been for years. Good if you know where to go. Invisible if you don't. By August most of phase one should be done here in Northfield.

mtbr member
    Dave,

Many thanks to you and your crew for all your work. Five of us had a great ride at Norwich the other day. The groomers are amazing and the winding singletrack (we rode yellow) is a blast. Yellow needs a little stump work as Oldicehouse said above, and that one corner comes up on you fast (you know the corner I'm talking about, I'm sure). But those are nitpicks at best. And I'd love to help pluck stumps the next time there's a work day.

What a resource this place is going to be, especially when everything is linked up with Irish Hill. It could rival Millstone as a destination, maybe even KT someday. Yeah, I said it.

But it's so different from either of those places, it won't be so much a competitor for their visitors, but a complement to the rest of the top-tier destinations in Vermont.

Amazing work, guys.
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Fuzz, it is my pleasure, really! It's Brooke's crew, I just work on it. His design and vision, we're just helping execute. It really is gonna be a unique ride spot. There is some primative single track out behind the ski hill that will be connected very soon. Once yellow is done, we will work our way up on orange. All of it will be machine built, all the stumps are coming out, but the orange from the top will be narrower and more technical then the yellow and green stuff. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Narrower and more technical is perfect. The sculpted bobled runs are really sweet but some more traditional New England single would be icing on the cake. Can't wait.
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Little progress update. Yellow trail south of the lift line is completed. We have about 1400 linear feet on the north side of the property to finish yellow up. More pumps, jumps and berms being shaped, then on the Orange. Should take us about a week to finish yellow completely, assuming we get a descent weather window. Also, the primative singletrack out the back of the ski area has finally been connected to the ridge trail that comes off the true summit of Paine. This is a couple/few miles of primative, raked in sniggle. It needs traffic. The climb to the lean-to is about 2 miles of double track. Goat has not been raked yet, but should be burned in enough, it's years old. The new trail starts at the height of land off the double track after you ride goat and bang a right on the double. If you start going down on the double track after making the right at the end of goat, you went too far, it's only a couple hundred yards between goat and the new trail. It needs traffic....go ride it.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 07-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    How about a berm on this "grassy knoll" leading out of the Paine Mtn. Trail into the field? My whole group almost ate it there. The n00b guy just blew through it and sailed down into the field.

Happy to lend a hand here or anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Prolly not gonna happen. That's the climb anyway fuzz.

mtbr member
    Heh, I figured. What about a 12 foot wooden berm wall? Concrete?

We went partway up there then turned around because we were short on time. I'm the fastest descender in the group, so I went first, blew out of the woods, did the slo-mo "oh...my...gawww..." and barely made the grassy, slippery off-camber corner. Three other guys skittered around and held on.

The last guy just honed straight into the tall grass. He was fine.

Good times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just GPSed the loop to the lean to and back.It's a 2.5 mile climb gaining 1500ish feet, followed by a 5 mile, mostly DH rip back to the lot. 1.5 hours maybe. Glorious out today!

mtbr member
    Is the lean-to at the left/north end of Goat? Did you climb up the old doubletrack on the left/north?

What combo of trails did you descend to make 5 miles?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541 View Post
    Is the lean-to at the left/north end of Goat? Did you climb up the old doubletrack on the left/north?

What combo of trails did you descend to make 5 miles?
    So you climb the Paine Mtn trail from the north end fo the town field (old Cheney Farm), up to the lean to at the clearing. (small house shape on my paint map) From there you hit Goat, which is a little overgrown in the field, but easy to follow once in the woods, minus a couple blow downs I need to clear...it's at the south end of the meadow the lean to is in. Ride that out to the new trail ( a short climb up the double to the right when you pop out of the singletrack) Newly raked in trail on the left at the top of the hill, if you start going down you went too far. This singletrack is rolling terrain, mostly down with a short climb or two. Eventually it puts you on some older rake and ride that connects to the back of the old ski hill where we hit the unfinished orange, to yellow to green, which is 99 percent downhill. Great loop of rake and ride and buffed....machine built. I'm pretty stoked. That connection has been years of work, mostly route finding. Finally a good loop from my house here in town!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

beer thief
    Ripping!

mtbr member
    Thanks, Dave. We'll try that loop next time we have a couple of hours and feel like a big climb/reward.

mtbr member
    Wow. We hit Dave's loop today. Observations:

The climb up the left/north end is a beast. Smooth double to rocky jeep track, with a couple of mud crossings for good measure. We took our time and eventually made it (I was the suffering sandbagger). At the lean-to, we had trouble finding Goat but I think we got the first part of it - south from the fire pit?

After that, we missed "new sniggle," got lost and wound up bushwhacking through the hardwoods down to the southern field by the VAST trails. We almost continued south. GPS saved us, and we worked our way back along VAST to the lower red connector. Not sure what we hit, but I think it was the orange dot "snowshoe" trail pictured in post 24, then back into the main section.

Holy s***. The orange bit is the gnarliest singletrack I've ridden in years. Loved it. I hope Brooke and co. keep it a little "wilder" than the rest of the hill. It makes a great "expert XC/AM" area to complement the highly groomed stuff.

The Yellow trail is now a total ripper. So fun at speed now that the tiny stumps are gone from that last section.

We also ran into Brooke and Jason (?) near the end of our ride. Can't thank you guys enough - keep up the great work. Please update this thread with big trail work dates so we can help out. I'd also like to help with flagging and signage. It's good but could be better - not that I'm complaining since I'd rather see you building and improving trail than mucking about with signs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Signage coming soonish on all parts of the loop outlined. Buffing out the Goat is my next personal project, though this week is booked, probably next week.

mtbr member
    Great. I know an underemployed 16yo kid who'd love nothing more than buffing the goat.

One more thing: I'm all for calculated risk and unsanitized adventure. But I'm amazed there's no fencing above the quarry, just a flimsy piece of webbing. That fall from just off the yellow trail would be certain death. Do you know if that's on the landowner's to do list?
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 07-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Fencing, no. Appreciate the offer. Many hands make light work.
    edit: Had a suprise day off Monday. Got the Goat cleaned up. You can now find it starting right behind the Lean-to at the top of the Paine Mtn trail. Got some trail markers goin up soon.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 07-18-2012 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This trail is very nicely burned in right now. Pick up the singletrack right behind the Shleter up on Paine. Right on the quad trail after "Goat", then in on the left after a short climb. (if you start going down, you went a few feet too far). Made the climb today no stops, no dabs. Pretty stoked.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Just got my first taste this evening, nice work Dave and Brooke. I started on the climber's right and got all the way to the old tower pad on the double track/ new stuff, then went into the woods on older sniggle with lots of rock rollers to the top of the ridge, where it looked like if I went down, I might end up on the wrong side of the mountain. Was that just a loop back to the tower pad?

The berms and jumps were sweet and I was able to clear most of the tables on first try. I met Angus M. out there, who I know from somewhere else, but can't remember where. Good guy to chat with on the way up.

The thing that got me most excited was the incredible supply of workable rock. I prefer schist for its shape-ability, but the massive piles of slate were inspiring. FYI, there were a couple turns that looked like they needed a little riprap to slow and maintain water flow.

I am so excited that there is such an enormous variety of great riding so close to home. Life is very good, and getting better, for mountain bikers here. Please support VMBA and our local pro builders!

John

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi all, new to the mountain and the trails. Today "first time" went to the top hiking ... I thought the shelter was just off of the top but I didn't see it. Can you explain if your @ the top where do you go from there, or is it off another trail, have no idea where the goat is.

Thanks, Smitty ....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    When you gain the ridge on the Paine Mtn Trail (PMT), go right at the "T". The shelter is about 100 yards out that way, the trail starts immediately on the left just before it, and loops behind it. The true summit of Paine would be a left at the "T" and up about a 1/4 mile, gaining another couple hundred vert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Dave, thanks for the information. I'm new to the area and just learned about the bike and hiking trails. The climb was/is steeper that I thought, but I wasn't going to stop

Reading the forum you may/would like some help up there. Let me know, would like to give a helping hand.

When you mean the true summit of the mountain, there is the old cement foundation for the old ski lift yes??

Smitty... aka Matt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast