Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Northfield VT...

Got an email....town forest will be open to development of MTB trails. 600 ares in total, starting this month. ALSO, Norwich is in the planning stages of developing a XC recreation center and renovation of the old ski area base buildings on 600 adjoining acres....pretty stoked. Anyone interested in helping with the contruction of the town forest trails, pm me. The local VMBA chapter (Northfield Trail Assn.) will be helping the town plan the network and build the trails. The potential here is HUGE. 1200 acres that also ties into Berlin TF and Irish Hill currently being developed by the Montpelier VMBA chapter. Many hands make light work.
    dave

mtbr member
    This is awesome dave. Can't wait to help.
    We Ride,Repair,and sell bikes. Live,Love,Ride the Dream in Vermont at:http://bikeexpressvt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Put me on work party Email list. TrailnerdATgmavtDOTnet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Update after a year or so. The town conservation commision is moving very slowly. I have been to many meeting. It seems there is likely to be MTB access on the town forrest up to the summit of Paine. Their management recomendation will be passed along to the town select board soonish (this calander year?) Norwich University went ahead and hired Sinuosity out of Hinesburg to build out a 10 mile recreation trail network in and around the abandon ski hill across the street from Norwich University. There is exsisting DH trail here that Tim has been taking loving care of and with the addition of the prposed trails there will be a couple more "down" oriented trail, and an "up" that helps us mortals gain the top of the ski hill. From there there will be a loop out the back of the ski area to extend near the top of barrows rd and the far edge of the school property. Assuming the town does eventually give us permission to use exsisting trails on their parcel, that plus the trail on the adjoining Norwich land will add up to a descent amount of trail. All in all at least 15 miles. Starting at 800 and peaking out at just under 2400...pretty cool stuff unfolding. Stay tuned.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Update after a year or so. The town conservation commision is moving very slowly. I have been to many meeting. It seems there is likely to be MTB access on the town forrest up to the summit of Paine. Their management recomendation will be passed along to the town select board soonish (this calander year?) Norwich University went ahead and hired Sinuosity out of Hinesburg to build out a 10 mile recreation trail network in and around the abandon ski hill across the street from Norwich University. There is exsisting DH trail here that Tim has been taking loving care of and with the addition of the prposed trails there will be a couple more "down" oriented trail, and an "up" that helps us mortals gain the top of the ski hill. From there there will be a loop out the back of the ski area to extend near the top of barrows rd and the far edge of the school property. Assuming the town does eventually give us permission to use exsisting trails on their parcel, that plus the trail on the adjoining Norwich land will add up to a descent amount of trail. All in all at least 15 miles. Starting at 800 and peaking out at just under 2400...pretty cool stuff unfolding. Stay tuned.
    Nice work! Glad to see your persistence will be paying off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Exciting news. I live up near exit 5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plumbitup
    Exciting news. I live up near exit 5.
    yea. I live in Northfield too. With the news that Millstone will likely be purchased and designated town forrest by Barre town, which will mean free riding and a real trail work effort, and this development, CVT is getting cooler by the second.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am looking for some trails in the Northfield area, I will be graduating from norwich in June and would love to ride that week, any helpful information on trails in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Go to Millstone. And head accross the street and check out what's going on. Not a ton of stuff finished yet, but worth checking out for a quick ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for the info, is it close to Norwich?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
    thanks for the info, is it close to Norwich?
    do asearch on this site for millstone. The trails at Norwich are going in accross the street at the old ski hill.

mtbr member
    Any update on the scale and scope of this project? I know some sanctioned building has been happening but are we still talking about a 1200 acre area for the long term?

Either way, subscribed to this thread for updates and work days. I'm in Montpelier with some tools and additional recruitable labor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i've been emailing Brooke, and the school has indicated they are interested in building out the entire proposed project on their 600+ acres piece, of which about 1/3 is roughed in. The adjoining 600 acre town forrest is still waiting on a finalized management plan, but from what I've gleened from conversations witht the town forester, they are going to aprrove use on exisiting trail by MTBs, which means the Paine Mtn Trail from the old Cheney Farm where the town water works is now will be a viable climb to the summit of Paine, which will tie into singletrack at the back end of the Norwich lot. If everyhing that is getting talked about get's build it will be 12-15+ miles of multiuse/singletrack in and around the abandon ski area in Northfield.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Been working with Brooke and Jason finishing up phase 1 of the Norwich project which will be about 6 miles of trail. He has submitted a proposal for phase 2 which they are in the fund raising stage of. The trail going in as part of phase 1 is mostly 50 inch wide, buffed out, bermed out, pumpy trail with some tables and small airs. FUN to ride. Phase 2 will consist of more bike trail behind the ski area built more like modern bench cut single track and add a few more miles of trail, if it gets funded.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A teaser...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-norwichberm2resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Nice berms! How does one find a trailhead in that area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trailhead

At the old ski hill across the street from Norwich University, actually on Cresent Street. Pull in amongst the new landscaping and construction and find the dirt lot on the left. There is a map on the side of the new Outdoor Center, which is the new building just up from the lot. There is still alot of work to do on drainage on some trails so please avoid riding the wet stuff. I think of the 6 miles of trail in phase 1 about1/2 to 2/3 is 100 percent done.

beer thief
    Top notch. Is this machine built, hand finished? I'm guessing 50" means mini-ex was used?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Top notch. Is this machine built, hand finished? I'm guessing 50" means mini-ex was used?
    Yup. Mini excvavator and a ditch witch, finished with hand tools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Broke ground on new trail last week, onto the last major section of new work of phase 1. It will be machine built, generally DH specific, I think 30 inch tread. It is flagged and cleared and starts at the top of the old ski hill. Skier's right side of the old lift line. As you drop in to the Old DH MTB trail it spilts left almost immediately. Switchbacks accross the DH tral a few times, eventually crosses the lift line and connescts to the southern most DH line off of the old "StageCoach" ski trail immediately below the old big ladder drop. Eventually it feeds into the Green trail right where all the sweet berms start on that downhill section. It is rideable in it's rough form now, but watch out for some stumps and other rubble. I think this run is gonn abe pretty legit. Finger's crossed for phase 2 funding.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sin...64842803631438
    Last edited by DaveVt; 06-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Looks like some awesome work going on there! Well done.

skiing/biking is life....
    yah! looking real nice over there, great job guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Norwich Trails Map and Comments

Took Father's Day to explore what is going on in Northfield. Really enjoyed the trail construction and the climb to to the top. A few observations, much of the trail cornering construction appears to be designed more for coming down than going up. As a comparison the trails in Pittsfield ride equally well in both directions. The wooded section of the solid yellow trail (see map) could use a little attention when it comes to thumb size stumps. There a still quite a few "gothcha's" to watch out for in the wooded duffy portion of the trail. Especially if your headed in downhill. After almost busting a lung within 50 yards of the top we rode down the dotted orange (see map) . Very challenging in it's current state. Can't wait to ride the final product. All in all I really liked the area and plan to return. It's not that far from home base in Morrisville. It will be even better if/when it can get linked in with Irish Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northfield VT...-norwich_trails-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The Irish hill link is very possible. Northfield has two parcels of town forrest. One is the northern boundry of the Norwich property we are working on, the other is to the north of Turkey Hill rd. If access was given to this piece, we could almost connect directly to the class 4 section of Darling Hill rd which is part of the Irish hill ride. Last I heard, a couple years ago, the conservation comission was no recomending any uses for this piece of town forrest because of an endangered salamander. Not to say it will never happen. Hopefully as the scene grows here in town, we can get a little more organized and have that conversation.
    And be warned. This area is in the middle of construction. You will ride finished trail, partially built, leaf blown areas that will soon be trail, and old school rake-and-ride DH stuff. Be on your toes for stumps and machinery on the unfinished sections.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast