mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New Stuff at Mt. Snow?

My fiancÚ won a free weekend at Mt. Snow so I'm headed there this weekend, bikes in tow. I used to live at Mt. Snow and was very familiar with the riding there. I haven't ridden there in 5 years or so and was wondering if there were any major updates on there downhill and XC trails. I know they've been updating their lift served riding and wanted to see if people have ridden there lately. Also, are there any new XC trails over by the Crosstown trails? Thanks.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If anyone is curious, the new trails at Mt. Snow are awesome.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Loser
    I'm heading up there in a few weeks - how tough are the new trails - do you need a DH bike? I ride a Niner RIP9 and had a blast at East Burke a few weeks ago.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'm very curious, do you have any pictures to share? How much vert are we talking? Can you give us some details on how many features and what types of trails? Are they machined or old school dh? Any drops over 10'? Jump lines? Just curious, I've heard lots of chatter about this place but never anything legitimate to go off of.

hmmm
    Jul 2012
    it seems like people need some beta on what we have in town/area.
    so let give you a run down from a locals view.

Cross Country:Trails | Dover, Vermont
    Crosstown Trails:
    depending how you ride it you can about 2 to 3 hours. there is definitely a way to ride the trails to get the best flow. you can also tie this in with the cross country loops up at the mountain via the valley trail. i never do it but if you are staying up by the mountain it allows you to connect the two areas. it is very rooty once you get into the main part of the network. you can ride it on a hardtail but it is more fun on a full squish
    Suggested Route:
    park at the new park/plaground next to the dover forge on rt 100 right next to 7-11. the parking lot is behind the dover forge(becomes important later) going up country club lane. take a left out of the parking lot and ride up country club lane. you gain about 300ft in about a half mile its pavement. the road makes two left hand turns. at the second turn there it a trail head for the valley trail you can take this get into the network but i prefer the long way. make the second left and ride by the golf clubhouse. make right on airport road and follow it all the way to the airport. ride into the airport and keep close to the hangers. between the last two hangers make left on to quail lane.make a quick right on to the fire road and now you are the fire road/ little john. take this to sherwood forest. after you go over the floating bridge make a right on friar tuck. take this up to and make a left on nottingham. at the end of this make a left back on sherwood . next make a left maid marion. quick up then a fun little downhill. make a right back onto friar tuck and take this to sherwood don't take the left back to the bridge. stay on sherwood past maid marion and nottingham and you will eventually pop out on the crosstown trail. take a left and head up to king arthur. at the fork head right up to robin hood. at robin hood make a right. take this to the next left which is crusades. when you come out make another left onto the kings wood trail. on the kingswood traill just keep taking lefts and you will hit a fun little downhill section. it easy to miss and you can end back out on the valley trail a little early. you will pop out onto the valley trail take this down to the road. make a right, then the next right onto stugger road. take this out to rt 100 and make a right. ride to the dover forge and have a beer out back on the patio.
    i do this like 3 times a week.

for more epic rides get in touch with mike purcel from the hoot toot and whistle club in wilmington.
    https://www.facebook.com/hoot.toot.whistle
    he can give you the skinney on the never ending double and single track between west dover and Wilmington.

Downhill/mount snow:
    i ride here 4 days a week. do you need full squish, no, but the amount of fun you have is somewhat proportionate to the amount of travel you have on your bike. it is very rocky and i like to be on my DH sled. i will take the trail bike sometimes when i have never evers but 170m to 203mm is how you are going to have a lot of fun. here is the break down of the trails. most importantly if you dont have pads please, please rent some. i hate seeing people rent the DH bikes and then skimp on the pads and full face helmet. just take your time getting down and have fun its not race.

trail 7:
    beginner trail. anyone can ride this take the whole family up lots of fun berms and rollers. there a few hits but you need to know where they are. please be careful as it is a beginner trail and there may be slow traffic on it. it easy to go really fast. you can lap this all day with the family

trail 5: this is the first half of my favorite tech DH run. big bike recommended/needed
    a gnarly rock chute down to some rock slabs. the a traverse over to where you pop out onto trail 7 for hot second then jump the berm and back on to the single track. jump the bridge hang a left then right down some tech roots and your at the top of trail 9.

Trail 8: this is the second half of the tech DH. big bike recommended/needed
    trail 8 actually starts on trail 9 . go down trail 9 and after the first step up hang a right and you are on 8. starts out mellow but is going to get real steep. once you are under the bluebird there is a big steep slab that goes right into a rock garden. keep your speed up and you can hit the step up and keep going down under the bluebird. there are few line choices here but they all take you back down the work road above the canyon express. or take right before the stepup and traverse over to 6. yardsale here i come. hit the rock ramp down onto 6 and you pop out by the snow making pond. shoot into the woods to the right of the snow making pipes, rooty chute then hit the rock drop onto the work road. now if you have never been down yard sale jump off the bike and walk down the trail a bit to see what your about to hit. its steep, manly steep.

trail 6: can be done on any bike
    a nice rooty single track run through the woods that eventually traverses across exhibition and down to the lift.

trail 9: step ups, berms, drops, step downs and more berms.
    while you can ride around most of the features. please do not go down this trail if you do not feel comfortable in the air. if you do and stop please , please move to the side of the trail and do it in a safe place, not right after a jump or you are going to get hit with a 40 lb bike. no fun for anyone.

trail 10: big bikes only
    this is one of the most root infested, rocky trails on the mountain. there are sections that I still get hung up on every once in awhile. there are few rock drops and a couple of ladder drops but by and large its just EC tech top to bottom with no rest.

trail 4: is closed because of new snow making pipe going in

there is probably some stuff i forgot but its late. if you have any specific questions feel ask