mtbr member

New to mtb, new to kingdom trails

(moving this from Beginner's Corner to VT/NH/ME Forum)

Hi all,

First post. Glad I found this place. Quick question for those of you willing to help out a new(er) rider. If you're in the Northeast Region, even better.

FYI, my mountain biking background is minimal, although I have done it before (nothing very technical). Iím headed up with some close family to Kingdom Trails in VT to ride in mid-October and wanted to see if my bike would be up to the challenge, or if I should rent. I have a Trek 3500 - from what I can tell itís your basic, run of the mill, entry level mountain bike. I mostly use it for commuting and the occasional town-and-country ride with family or friends. I keep it in pretty good condition. Iíve never used it for mtn biking (the broad sense of the word). For Kingdom Trails - will I be OK with this rig? I figure Iím not going to get into anything crazy. See basic specs here: Trek Bicycle .

My next question - what should I be wearing? Iíd rather not drop unnecessary $ on gear that I wonít use again until next spring. Shorts? Shirt? Shoes? Again, I donít ride all that much (which I hope to change).

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    That bike will be fine. they can point you to some fun easier trails when you buy your trail pass. I prefer chamois shorts under regular or "baggy" shorts, but they are not a necessity. You could get some chilly weather, just bring a few (not too heavy) layers so you can adjust, Maybe a T, longsleeve, and windbreaker, and MTB or lightweight gloves. If it's too cold for shorts, any athletic type pants will work, preferably narrow legs to stay out of the chain. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That bike will be fine. they can point you to some fun easier trails when you buy your trail pass. I prefer chamois shorts under regular or "baggy" shorts, but they are not a necessity. You could get some chilly weather, just bring a few (not too heavy) layers so you can adjust, Maybe a T, longsleeve, and windbreaker, and MTB or lightweight gloves. If it's too cold for shorts, any athletic type pants will work, preferably narrow legs to stay out of the chain. Have fun!
    Thanks! I think I will pick up a pair of chamois shorts.

Another question, a bit unrelated to my first post: if I had a sudden itch to upgrade bike components, what would folks recommend as being useful, cost-effective upgrades? When I say cost effective, nothing over a couple hundred $ total. I don't necessarily need huge performance upgrades (i.e. disc brakes - regardless, from my understanding it would't be worth it, especially for my bike).

Any other tips? Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd recommend just riding that bike as is for as long as it takes to get bitten by the MTB bug. If that happens, you'll probably find yourself wanting something more trail worthy (and expensive), but by then you'll be starting to get a better sense about what you like about your current ride and what you wish was better. There are tons of choices out there. For the first few dozen rides, just try to be comfortable, push yourself a little bit, and have fun!

In terms of gear, a good helmet, a camelbak or similar hydration pack, gloves, and maybe some clear glasses are all you really need to be safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    I'd recommend just riding that bike as is for as long as it takes to get bitten by the MTB bug. If that happens, you'll probably find yourself wanting something more trail worthy (and expensive), but by then you'll be starting to get a better sense about what you like about your current ride and what you wish was better. There are tons of choices out there. For the first few dozen rides, just try to be comfortable, push yourself a little bit, and have fun!

In terms of gear, a good helmet, a camelbak or similar hydration pack, gloves, and maybe some clear glasses are all you really need to be safe.
    +1 great advice