Thread: The Nan Epic ?

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

The Nan Epic ?

Has anyone done this trail and is it worth doing ? NH is one of the the few states where I haven't MTBed and would love to have a reason to ride there.

What else can be recommended ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It sucks don't go. Seriously. There are way way better trails in North Conway.

beer thief
    The Nan Epic was a one-time route that incorporated part of the Nanamocomuck trail (which parallels the Kanc) and much of North Conway's west side, aka Moat network.

The Nan is not often ridden by the locals although there is some good adventure riding in the Rob Brook area. The Moat network is well worth riding and trails are marked and mapped. Check with one of the bike shops for a map or post on the WM NEMBA web site to find a local guide. Eastside Bike Guides is also a good place to get a paid guide.

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, definitely not worth riding. I camp right next to it every year with the family and I ride it because it's right there but it's pretty much some beat up fireroads with mud and roots and the occasional single track section. Don't let this dissuade you from riding in the N. Conway area though. There is some great riding up there, but you better get your climbing legs on. Lots of extended uphills followed by extended downhills. The most well known trails in that area are Red Tail Trail and Sticks and Stones, but there are tons more that are just as good.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's by no means "epic" but it's worth doing. No, it's not flowing single track, but when combined with the Rob Brook Sawyer River trail/road area it can cover a lot of terrain (30+ miles) in a nice setting with some nice views. There are muddy sections that can be avoided and a recent timber sale chewed up a small portion of the trail that will be fixed. That said other areas like the Moat would be a far better introduction to the valley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice job on pillar to quarry thus far, rob.

Rog

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've had this one on my radar from when it was designated an IMBA Epic, at least 12 years ago. Yet, I never heard anything about this trail or the N Conway proper for MTBing. I have visited N Conway 20+ times but always to hike or climb some ice.
    I have ridden in about 30 states but it is crazy that I have never ridden in NH (especially being from NJ)