Thread: Mt. Washington

mtbr member
    May 2009

Mt. Washington

Is there anything on this mountain for downhill?

Seems like the little train to the top would be a convenient shuttle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you have to go through a very rigorous certification course. once you get your certification you are limited to a fully rigid bike with mechanical disc brakes as any fluids from suspension or hydro disc breaks are harmful to the flora and fauna up there if you crash really hard and break your bike.

rog

cranktankerous Mainer
    Yeah, go ride the train, it'll take you right up there!
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

Moderator Moderator
    How are you at skinnies?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt. Washington-p8090809.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sure, if you want to walk or take the Auto Road. Plenty of hiking routes to the top, but I'm almost certain there's zero riding up there, and for good reason. Most of the year the weather up there is nuts, and it's also a fragile alpine environment. Personally, I hope they never allow bikes up there, and tear down the cog railway. The observatory serves a purpose, but they could do away with the tourist accommodations.
    To me, our highest peaks should be left as wild as possible. Plenty of smaller mountains that would be just as thrilling to ride down/up/around.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Sure, if you want to walk or take the Auto Road...
    Presidential "Wilderness" area = no bikes allowed in most of the area; map here. What trails are left show you why they call it the rockpile. I like Roger's answer better though.

Blasting down the auto road with no lights under a full moon is... I mean, would be pretty amazing.

I would love to do a winter run off the summit under bulletproof conditions, drop into Tucks or Huntington.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yea that all sounds super lame. They let Travis Pastrana rip up in a rally car. There are plenty of other mountains, just thought the tallest one would have something. No worries. Rubber side down elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    He ripped up the Auto Road. Anyone can drive that road if they pay the toll. He just did it really fast!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    He ripped up the Auto Road. Anyone can drive that road if they pay the toll. He just did it really fast!
    Yes, plus Red Bull paid a really big toll fee.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great Glen (near the auto road) is the only place I can think of that has trails for bikes. I have never ridden there and sounds more like x/c not dh. Biking | Great Glen Trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajak View Post
    Yea that all sounds super lame. They let Travis Pastrana rip up in a rally car. There are plenty of other mountains, just thought the tallest one would have something. No worries. Rubber side down elsewhere.
    I guess you havent spent much time on the presis above tree line. Its one big pile of rocks. It wouldnt be fun it would be slow and painful to ride up there plus the plants are to fragile to handle all the trampling. I am glad they dont allow bikes up there we dont have a lot of alpine zone in the eastcoast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I know people who have hiked/rode up the jewel trail, then rode the crawford path out, said it was fun, 90% rideable. Not sure if any of that is in the Wilderness area, but they didn't get into any trouble.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    ...didn't get into any trouble.
    Thats always a great reason to keep doing something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    I know people who have hiked/rode up the jewel trail, then rode the crawford path out, said it was fun, 90% rideable. Not sure if any of that is in the Wilderness area, but they didn't get into any trouble.
    Def against the rules and I personally am all set with disrespecting the oldest mainted hiking trail in the US ( crawford path)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Its only illegal if you get caught. But is always dis-respectful