Thread: mt monadnock

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mt monadnock

Is it possible to bike up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've seen that trail from the road and was wondering the same thing... if you need an exploring partner PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    About 25 years ago a friend and I rode up the auto road on Pack Monadnock (I know that's not the same mountain) and then down the hiking trails on the back side. It was a fun day but some of the hiking trails were crazy steep and impossible to ride on our old steel bikes. Pretty sure this would be totally illegal today but that is just one of many places we rode back then which are off limits to bikes today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mt. Monadnock is mostly in a State Park, or various conservation lands, etc. A couple of trail approaches may get you to the base of the Summit, if you are allowed to bike on them. But from there to the top, you have a chance if you are Hans Rey, otherwise hump it up , hump it down. Best bet would be trail from Dublin Lake, forget trail name but longest trail to summit-- even some "slickrock" sections... NH stylely...don't forget- it is swarming with people most of the hiking/biking? season

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    hmmm - damnation that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, sounds like you've tried before, or at least inspected on foot?

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Fairly certain that MTB's aren't allowed on the trails at mt Monadnock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's always Watatic.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Mt. Monadnock is mostly in a State Park, or various conservation lands, etc. A couple of trail approaches may get you to the base of the Summit, if you are allowed to bike on them. But from there to the top, you have a chance if you are Hans Rey, otherwise hump it up , hump it down. Best bet would be trail from Dublin Lake, forget trail name but longest trail to summit-- even some "slickrock" sections... NH stylely...don't forget- it is swarming with people most of the hiking/biking? season

I'd assume bikes are not allowed on Monadnock. Longest trail up is near Dublin lake and is the Pumpelly Trail. 9 mile round trip with some very non-ridable spots (I've only hiked it).

Pack Monadnock is part of the Wapack trail that starts in MA and ends on North Pack Monadnock. They do not allow bikes on the Wapack trail.

Frequently asked Questions - Friends of the Wapack

One of the few mountains I know of we can summit on the bikes is Black Cap mountain in Conway NH.

Where to Ride | White Mountains NEMBA

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSSinNH View Post
    ...One of the few mountains I know of we can summit on the bikes is Black Cap mountain in Conway NH.

Where to Ride | White Mountains NEMBA
    Except for the Appalachian Trail and trails in designated Wilderness areas, all other hiking trails in the White Mountain National Forest are open to mountain bikes. In the North Conway area, Kearsarge North, Chocorua, the Moat Mountains, Mt. Tremont, Bartlett Mtn and many other local peaks have been ridden. Most involve some degree of hike-a-bike and the descents tend to be steep & gnarly. Certainly not for everybody but full value for those who are up to it. Tons of peaks to bag in western Maine also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I once had a really good time riding Cardigan/Firescrew near Newfound lake. Definitely some hike a bike involved, but also some epic granite descending (and baffled hikers).

(Cardigan from Firescrew)
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Black Cap excluded, are there any other local mountains that have trails made with bikes in mind ? Not sure why I'm asking as my curiosity is clearly bigger than my legs!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I once had a really good time riding Cardigan/Firescrew near Newfound lake. Definitely some hike a bike involved, but also some epic granite descending (and baffled hikers).
    Very nice photos; that's been on my list for a while. Welch-Dickey in Waterville Valley is another of similar ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSSinNH View Post
    Black Cap excluded, are there any other local mountains that have trails made with bikes in mind ? Not sure why I'm asking as my curiosity is clearly bigger than my legs!
    Not that I can think of but there should be. And technically the very summit (above carriage road and BC Connector) of Black Cap is off limits to bikes but this is mostly ignored and not enforced. It's not like you're going to damage the granite up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Very nice photos; that's been on my list for a while. Welch-Dickey in Waterville Valley is another of similar ilk.
    I've ridden a fair amount of the stuff in that area BITD. You can (could anyway) end up connecting to the lower trails off W-D coming south from Tripoli Rd

Can also do a loop from Tripoli Rd heading north past East Pond and over the ridge to the Kanc and back over to WV via Greeley Ponds trail. No summit or anything, but nice and woodsy, and you'll earn your beers for sure.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Being a hiker turned mountain biker, I remember coming across this little trip report from a hiking blog where they ran into bikes on Welch-Dickey. I've yet to hike WD, so have no frame of reference for it.

EKP Adventures | Life as an adventure, one day at a time! | Page 13

I have hiked Cardigan, and there are some sections there that would be a bit hairy. I hiked up the west ridge trail I think it was? I'd have to go back and look.

Looking forward to this upcoming season. Dry trails can't get here fast enough!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    monadnock park is very close to arrowhead recreation area, which I've emailed and responded with
    "
    There area couple of mountain bile trails that come down from the top. A couple of guys have created them and have done some maintenance on them, don't have their names. There is no map of the trails or markings and you have walk up.

We have always wanted a group or groups to form to create, maintain, map and mark mountain bike, hiking and trail running trails, to include signs and distances, but none have come forth. "

does anyone have any info to help me in a scouting mission? Whats the way up? possibly a map lurking in some dark corner of the interwebs?

mtbr member
    Biking Welch Dicky is not for the faint of heart. I'm sure there is hike-a-bike on the way up, and you'd better be a very confident rider on the way back down because there are long very steep granite slabs that are challenging to hike let alone bike. It's been done though and I've seen the video footage. It's a popular trail so hit it mid-week to avoid hikers.