gefiltephish
    Aug 2006

(Mostly) USFS camping questions

Hey. Ari again from Downeast Maine. Thanks for the advice this spring, it's shaped up to be a good season of riding so far... Definite difference from the West: thereís no free camping (outside of very limited Natíl Forest land), which makes multi-day trips hard to pull off. State Park camping has been OK, a little crowded but you canít reserve in advance for a single night! Am I missing something or do I just gotta deal?

Couple questions:

- Camping by the Conway trails (is there USFS dispered camping)?
    - If I camp in Moose Brook State Park by Gorham, is there a larger trail network around? Other (dispered USFS) camping in the area?
    - Camping by the Green Mountain Trails? Any cool riding in the Green Mtn Natl Forest?

Thanks for the help. I may just head toward Conway with a good map and ask Red Jersey Cyclery...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by specialized2; 08-26-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: want advice

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    FYI, no available camping at Burke Mtn, Whitecap Campground, or the Brighton State Park this weekend :/

mtbr member
    There are free campsites in the GMNF a few miles up Upper Michigan Road in Pittsfield. There's a kiosk at the entrance showing exactly where they're located. Fairly easy access.

There is a mountain biking trail further up that way, Hayes Brook, but it needed major work last time I was up there.

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    Cool that's great news- camping just on the other side of Pittsfield! Not sure about when, but one of these weekends I'll def. check that out.

Anyone familiar with the Nordic Heritage Center up in Presque Isle, ME? I've been trying to contact them to ask if I can car camp (truck w topper) on their property... I imagine they've got plenty space given it's their off season?