Results 1 to 51 of 51
  1. #1
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319

    New question here. Most Technical Trails in New England?

    I've lived out here for about 2 years now and I've been riding DH and AM trails the entire time. Based in Boston my regular spot is Lynnwoods, like many who live here, but I also make it up to HIghland quite a bit. I got into a discussion with some other riders about what the most technical trail system around New England is, our plan for this summer is to try to venture out to new areas and get to know some of the trails that aren't directly in or around Boston.

    So far I've ridden LW, The Fells, HP, Vietnam, Wompatuck, Boarderland, B&T's, School St, Beverly Farms, Greenwood and Willowdale.

    Out of these I still think Lynn is the most technical system although parts of B&T's are very challenging as well.

    I'm just curious what others think who have tried different trails. I've heard that Exeter is great and that's on my short list for this summer along with Kingdom Trails, The Mesh in CT, Diablo, White Face, and Sunday River.

    What is your favorite technical place to ride? What else should a newcomer be sure to ride to get a good taste of New England Style riding? I love the natural features here and the rock gardens can be as gnarly as any world cup course I've seen.

  2. #2
    Tool
    Reputation: Pedalphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    Mt. Agamenticus in York, ME is fairly technical, but you really need a guide to make the most of it. In fact, you can spend a lot of time there and never find the good stuff, so a guide is strongly recommended. I'd offer to show you around, but I've only follwed others there and would struggle or fail to find the good stuff I've been shown.

    -Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

  3. #3
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,971
    Bangor/Orono makes Lynn woods look like a bike path in my opinion. Same for HP. The difference is the consistent rooty-ness. Mile for mile, it is the most technical trail system I've ridden.

    Buuuut I've only ridden;
    Lynn Woods
    Fort Rock
    Portland Trails
    Camden
    KT
    North Conway
    Bath
    Bradbury
    Western Maine
    Sunday River
    Okay, too many to list I guess.
    I am immune to your disdain.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raineman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    456
    Technical you say?

    Hmmm... Fort Rock has some good technical sections.

    The Quarries in Concord, NH does of good job of driving away newbies... Jezebel comes to mind, the hospital trails, and the new quarry-side descent.

    Franconia ( find Big Wheel Bob) has plenty.

    The descent off of the mtn above the climbing scene in Rumney, NH has gnar.

  5. #5
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    The stuff in Bangor might well make Lynn look like a bike path, but if so then it's pretty much a world cup DH course. Some of the lines in Lynn are about as hard as I have ridden on a trail bike. Steep, rough, exposed, and high consequence.

    Although Fort Rock has challenging sections, by and large it's not particularly hard nor dangerous, just rough at times. I love Fort Rock, it's tech, and it's super fun, but it's nowhere near the top of this list. The Marsh is harder, for starters.

    Part of the issue with this discussion is that "hard" and "technical" aren't always exactly parallel. Something can be extremely tech in terms of requiring remarkable proficiency and have zero consequences (reverse nose manual down a clear grassy hill)....other things can be relatively straight forward, but high consequences make them more difficult to stomach (15 foot gap jump over a 100 foot ravine).

    People who claim to have the goods that beat Lynn better be willing to give tours, because I want to ride this stuff

  6. #6
    sinner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    226
    Is technical riding trails that are super rooty, rocky and hard to clear let alone ride at a fast pace with breaking bike parts and destroying your body? Or is technical riding little sections with nasty hucks, steep roller lines and other things with high exposure to painful consequences?

    Bangor area has a lot of super techy trails that are all ridable. Big deep roots and rocks that just keep going and going but if you has some skills and some power they are not that bad. I might be a bit complacent because I ride them all the time.

    We really don't have much in the way of big hucks and some of the Lynn style stuff. I haven't ridden Lynn in many years so I am in no position to comment on the terrain there.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Bangor makes Lynn look like a bike path? I both doubt that and need to see that. I don't think there are many places in America that are much more difficult and bigger featured than what is at Lynn in terms of XC/AM. Lynn has both the large slickrock features and some of the craziest rock gardens i've seen people bike, and i've seen good ines.

    Is there info for Bangor for someone that wants to ride some trails there sans guide?

    Ft Rock should be on your list but it still isn't nearly as tech as Lynn. Easy to get around with a map too. Millstone in VT is pretty good, but on the level of HP in terms of tech. The NYC area has some pretty nice techy trail systems if you care to venture. I can assure you Blue Mountain in Peekskill NY is awesome. I've also heard the CT trails around Trumball are great too. Ringwood NJ area has trails that could keep you busy for days.

    Bear brook has some awesome sections but tough to get around. If Nembafest is out there again this year it would be worth checking out. They have nice loops all marked out.

    IMO, if you want great tech riding i would skip on Mt A. There are some tech sections but too much work/distance in between them.

    Bradbury Mtn in ME is primarily flowy, but the "O Trial" is a nice longer stretch of decent tech. This place is very easy to get around with if you have a map.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    171
    If you want to travel to Eastern NY you can find some nasty technical trail systems.

    Blue Mt in Peekskill is awesome!! Similar to Lynn Woods with a lot of rock rollers, spines, features. But it is more "in the woods" than Lynn. Lot of trees, roots, dirt, etc.

    SMBA in Saratoga Springs is really nice. Extremely technical. All singletrack. Miles & Miles of rock features. Built & designed by MTB'rs. Catch is you must be, or ride with, a SMBA member. There are weekly group rides you could hook up with . Check SMBA.com

    Moreau State Park (aka Spier Falls) is great. Similar to SMBA but with alot more climbing & descending.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcbike View Post
    Blue Mt in Peekskill is awesome!! Similar to Lynn Woods with a lot of rock rollers, spines, features. But it is more "in the woods" than Lynn. Lot of trees, roots, dirt, etc.
    Blue Mountain really mastered the art of huge granite and flow at the same time. Lots of going up one big rock, roll down the other side and flowing right up the next rock. Lots of "woo hoo" moments in there. Like Lynn only flowier and possibly just a tad bit easier. There are also play areas scattered throughout the place where you can hit features several ways (like Lynn has).

    They also have a great map and marked trails. My personal favorite trails i've ridden.

  10. #10
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432

    To the OP

    Lynn Woods is nuts, anyone who doesn't think so is either not riding the right trails or is fronting. Old School Lynn was on another level Talk about high stakes lines. There is allot more to Lynn than big stupid hucks to flat. Trust me.

    School Street upps the anti from Lynn Woods in my opinion. High Stakes, heavy pedaling, ect...But more polished than Lynn adding high speeds to the mix.

    The stuff 'Indy is referring to up in ME is super technical but in a different way. Usually slimy off camber roots, huge chunky rocks, relentless. Huge engine needed to ride up there, I think is what adds to the tech.

    Exeter is much like what you would find at GreenWood, just more polished and flowy. There are many technical sections and lines out there. Worth a trip.

    Go to Sunday River as soon as possible
    HP is ripper

    Take a trip out to Phoenix AZ if you want to see some tech. someday


    Greg
    Voltron

  11. #11
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    I have seen few places that test you in every way like Lynn...fitness, technique, even navigation haha.

  12. #12
    "Covert" Heckler1
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    68

    Cool Thread

    Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

    I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    108
    Where are the tech trails that everyone mentions in Bangor? I grew up around there, but it was before i mountain biked. I now live in NH and travel there frequently to visit family. i have ridden at the Bangor City Forest and what i found was ok (but super wet in areas). I'm hoping I completely missed something good because i would love to find some good riding up there for my visits. Can someone give me the goods or point me in the direction of a trail map?

    What are the trails like at UMaine in Orono?

  14. #14
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler1 View Post
    Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

    I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.
    Let me know if you need some local flavor when you ride Lynn Woods
    Voltron

  15. #15
    "Covert" Heckler1
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    Let me know if you need some local flavor when you ride Lynn Woods
    Awesome, thanks!

  16. #16
    stoneblender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    379
    The Mad River Valley is known for its very technical, rocky, rooty, twisty trails. I haven't ridden enough places on the lists to make good comparisons, but have yet to overly challenged when visiting other EC riding areas. In fact, many locals go to Waterbury, HTF, Millstone, and KT in order to get into the middle ring for more than a few seconds at a time.

    Maybe we need to bring in an unbiased judge to decide. There is no way we will get clarity from an interweb discussion.

    John

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    As far as places worth visiting goes we'll start with the lifts. Diablo is pretty sweet. It has much more DH and longer trails than Highland. It's not as chill an atmosphere but it is a nice switchup from Highland. Now you want to see some super sketchy techy DH go to Plattekill. That place has some seriously steep sketchy lines with loose shale all over the place. Killer stuff! Never been to Whiteface as it's a freaking haul from here. Bromont is also a haul but everyone who I've ever met who has ridden it says it blows away Highland and Diablo and any place on the east coast.

    Kingdom Trails is a great experience. The mountain side from the top has some killer rugged riding. It's more highspeed than most places I've ridden. But, it has to be dry or it will be closed. The lifts at KT only have 3 trails right now. 1 of them is a sick jump trail that I could ride all day long. The other side is really fun all-day XC riding. Definitely worth a trip.

    Waterbury is a pretty sweet place to check out. It's not a huge area but definitely some amazing riding. We combined it last year with going to Stowe. Lots of sick riding there.

    Exeter is OK but I've never been overly impressed. Good riding but there's better stuff around Boston. I put it on par with Millstone.

    N. Conway has some great riding. I've only hit a few of the spots there and I was impressed. I need to go back and get a tour.

    I noticed Harold Parker was missing. That's a fun local place to ride.

    As far as the most techy goes Lynn Woods, B&T, Vietnam, other NS stuff is the toughest in my book. I've ridden the rooty stuff in ME and sure the roots are crazy techy but not in a fun way. I'd much rather be slamming up and down rock faces and hitting trials level stunts vs. slipping and sliding up and down rooty hills.

  18. #18
    memento mori
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    370
    The Wapack trail is hard both in climbing and tech,make-or-break type of terrain.I've always run it from Temple mtn to Watatic.North to south 16 miles.
    Old school Lynn has always been my bench mark for tech riding.A good day at Lynn made you feel invincible,a bad one battered and bruised.

  19. #19
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Woodyak, have you ridden Exeter with locals, or just picked your way around? Let me know if you want a tour. Maybe I can improve your impression of the place.

    Greg, if you don't mind me asking what's the story with School Street? (Or drop me a PM if you don't want to talk about it here).

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzz541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler1 View Post
    Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

    I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.
    I like Perry - been there a few times. It's a blast and very challenging. But Lynn was another level compared to anything else I've ridden. It's just insane, and it goes on and on and on and on.

    Have fun!

  21. #21
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post

    Take a trip out to Phoenix AZ if you want to see some tech. someday


    Greg
    Greg- I think I may know you from the JRA shop, I'm the guy from Phoenix that comes in all the time. I agree Phoenix is very tech but in different ways, Lynn has more consistent challenge after challenge than the most difficult trails around Phoenix. But they are much higher speed in AZ because you've spent 60 minutes or so pedaling up to get to the down.

    I like it all, I go back on a regular basis, but this time of the year is not friendly for Phoenix visits. Plus this is my home now. I'm more than satisfied with the riding around Boston but wanted to get an idea from people in VT, ME and NH what is going on up there.

    It sounds like Exeter is high on the list and if I can find someone to show me around these bigger trail systems in Maine I'm all for it.

    The more riding the better.

  22. #22
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler1 View Post
    Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

    I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.
    I'm always at Lynn so if you need some guidance PM me. That's my regular spot, as for what Perry and Carse I'd like to check those out. What part of VT are they in? I'm completely okay with earning my tech sections with long climbs, some people out East hate climbing, but that's what I'm used to from AZ.

  23. #23
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post
    The Mad River Valley is known for its very technical, rocky, rooty, twisty trails. I haven't ridden enough places on the lists to make good comparisons, but have yet to overly challenged when visiting other EC riding areas. In fact, many locals go to Waterbury, HTF, Millstone, and KT in order to get into the middle ring for more than a few seconds at a time.

    Maybe we need to bring in an unbiased judge to decide. There is no way we will get clarity from an interweb discussion.

    John
    Good point! To be honest I'm not really trying to award one place #1, I doubt you can ever come to that consensus, then you'd have to start narrowing down by trail too... I'm really just wondering what people really love to ride in Northern New England so I can check out some different stuff. I go to VT, NH and ME all the time but other than highland it's never for riding. I stare at these huge swaths of open land and the largest mountains I've seen on the EC wondering what's in there to ride. So I appreciate getting the feedback, is this the same Mad River as the ski resort? It has quite the reputation for skiing.

  24. #24
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    The Wapack trail is hard both in climbing and tech,make-or-break type of terrain.I've always run it from Temple mtn to Watatic.North to south 16 miles.
    Old school Lynn has always been my bench mark for tech riding.A good day at Lynn made you feel invincible,a bad one battered and bruised.
    Where do I find Wapack trail?

  25. #25
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    As far as places worth visiting goes we'll start with the lifts. Diablo is pretty sweet. It has much more DH and longer trails than Highland. It's not as chill an atmosphere but it is a nice switchup from Highland. Now you want to see some super sketchy techy DH go to Plattekill. That place has some seriously steep sketchy lines with loose shale all over the place. Killer stuff! Never been to Whiteface as it's a freaking haul from here. Bromont is also a haul but everyone who I've ever met who has ridden it says it blows away Highland and Diablo and any place on the east coast.

    Kingdom Trails is a great experience. The mountain side from the top has some killer rugged riding. It's more highspeed than most places I've ridden. But, it has to be dry or it will be closed. The lifts at KT only have 3 trails right now. 1 of them is a sick jump trail that I could ride all day long. The other side is really fun all-day XC riding. Definitely worth a trip.

    Waterbury is a pretty sweet place to check out. It's not a huge area but definitely some amazing riding. We combined it last year with going to Stowe. Lots of sick riding there.

    Exeter is OK but I've never been overly impressed. Good riding but there's better stuff around Boston. I put it on par with Millstone.

    N. Conway has some great riding. I've only hit a few of the spots there and I was impressed. I need to go back and get a tour.

    I noticed Harold Parker was missing. That's a fun local place to ride.

    As far as the most techy goes Lynn Woods, B&T, Vietnam, other NS stuff is the toughest in my book. I've ridden the rooty stuff in ME and sure the roots are crazy techy but not in a fun way. I'd much rather be slamming up and down rock faces and hitting trials level stunts vs. slipping and sliding up and down rooty hills.
    Good to hear about the other DH parks. I go to Highland a lot, I think I went there about 33 times last summer. I like the atmosphere a lot but there's not a lot of full bore DH trails there, I'm not by any means complaining since in AZ we had only one DH park about 5.5 hours from Phoenix, but I do want to see the others. Bromont, Plattekill, Diablo, and KT are on the list. The jump trail at KT sounds sweet! There was a really cool one at Northstar that I loved, hopefully it's an EC version of that one.

    Just curious do you ride a full DH setup or more of a Free Ride build? I ride a Demo 8 at Highland but I'm always wishing I had something along the lines of a SX trail for NE Style and Hellion.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    In general the only trails i've seen that are anything like Lynn are in Western CT and North of NYC. The riders in that area are pretty sick. You should check out bikerag.com. The guy has a cool map of trails and he takes really good pics of the places he rides, and he likes techy rides. I used to check out that site all the time to look at pics of trails and get psyched up for what's in store. The guy has been to pretty much every decent trail in the Northeast.

    If you head to Diablo i can point you to about 5 trail systems in that area that have great Tech XC. They aren't secretive about their goods there, so i can point you to some maps and routes.

  27. #27
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    Greg- I think I may know you from the JRA shop, I'm the guy from Phoenix that comes in all the time. I agree Phoenix is very tech but in different ways, Lynn has more consistent challenge after challenge than the most difficult trails around Phoenix. But they are much higher speed in AZ because you've spent 60 minutes or so pedaling up to get to the down.

    I like it all, I go back on a regular basis, but this time of the year is not friendly for Phoenix visits. Plus this is my home now. I'm more than satisfied with the riding around Boston but wanted to get an idea from people in VT, ME and NH what is going on up there.

    It sounds like Exeter is high on the list and if I can find someone to show me around these bigger trail systems in Maine I'm all for it.

    The more riding the better.

    I agree with your statement that this is NO TIME to be in AZ,February is AZ time. Referring to Holbert and Geronimo on South Mountain or Goat Camp in the White Tanks for super technical riding

    We are very lucky to have to huge variety that we have here in the NE. Pride!
    Ride it all
    Voltron

  28. #28
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    I agree with your statement that this is NO TIME to be in AZ,February is AZ time. Referring to Holbert and Geronimo on South Mountain or Goat Camp in the White Tanks for super technical riding

    We are very lucky to have to huge variety that we have here in the NE. Pride!
    Ride it all
    My regular loop in Phoenix was up National from 48th Street and down Geronimo or Holbert. Goat Camp was great too but I lived in the East Valley so that was about the same drive from my house there as it is to get from Boston to Highland here.

    I'm planning to go out sometime in February as well, I'm happy to show you around and introduce you to my AZ riding crew if were in the area at the same time.

    You should also ride 24 Street down off somo, Old Man Trail, NRA, and a few others I know of.

  29. #29
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    My regular loop in Phoenix was up National from 48th Street and down Geronimo or Holbert. Goat Camp was great too but I lived in the East Valley so that was about the same drive from my house there as it is to get from Boston to Highland here.

    I'm planning to go out sometime in February as well, I'm happy to show you around and introduce you to my AZ riding crew if were in the area at the same time.

    You should also ride 24 Street down off somo, Old Man Trail, NRA, and a few others I know of.
    very cool, I stay with my friend who lives in the foothills of SoMO. I have pretty much ridden all the routes on the mountain and it never gets old.
    I plan on going out to AZ every Feb till I either move out myself or die.
    Voltron

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    Woodyak, have you ridden Exeter with locals, or just picked your way around? Let me know if you want a tour. Maybe I can improve your impression of the place.

    Greg, if you don't mind me asking what's the story with School Street? (Or drop me a PM if you don't want to talk about it here).
    Picked around. Been there 4 times and some of the trails have become familiar. Haven't been there in awhile though. I'll have to get a tour next time to flow it properly. I felt the same way about Harold Parker until I figured the place out and now I love it.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    Good to hear about the other DH parks. I go to Highland a lot, I think I went there about 33 times last summer. I like the atmosphere a lot but there's not a lot of full bore DH trails there, I'm not by any means complaining since in AZ we had only one DH park about 5.5 hours from Phoenix, but I do want to see the others. Bromont, Plattekill, Diablo, and KT are on the list. The jump trail at KT sounds sweet! There was a really cool one at Northstar that I loved, hopefully it's an EC version of that one.

    Just curious do you ride a full DH setup or more of a Free Ride build? I ride a Demo 8 at Highland but I'm always wishing I had something along the lines of a SX trail for NE Style and Hellion.
    I ride a 7x7 with more of a Freeride/AM build. Even that seems like too much for Highland sometimes. It's the same bike I ride pretty much everything with. I may go down to a slack 6x6 as my main rig and burly up the 7x7 for more DH stuff.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    46
    Here's some of the technical trails I've ridden ranked in technical difficullty (1=most technical, 4= least technical)

    1. Lynn Woods
    2. Leominster
    3. F. Gilbert Hills
    4. Wompatuck

    I hear dogtown is so technical its basically unrideable in some spots for a lot of people.

    Leominster was prob. the most challenging for me as their singletrack is consistently technical, while in say, wompatuck, there's always an easier route.

  33. #33
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by jodebane View Post
    Here's some of the technical trails I've ridden ranked in technical difficullty (1=most technical, 4= least technical)

    1. Lynn Woods
    2. Leominster
    3. F. Gilbert Hills
    4. Wompatuck

    I hear dogtown is so technical its basically unrideable in some spots for a lot of people.

    Leominster was prob. the most challenging for me as their singletrack is consistently technical, while in say, wompatuck, there's always an easier route.
    I've only ridden 1 and 4. Based on what you said about Leominster and Dog Town I'll add those to the list. Where is F. Gilbert Hills? Do they have a decent amount of climbing?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    What is the deal with Dogtown? I see very little talk about it. Is it just a bunch of rocky trails that happen to be ok to ride, or are there trails built by mtbers for mtbing?

    Is there a local shop out there that know the trails well?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    113
    I would never really want to spend a travel day riding the most technical trail around.

    The most fun, yes absolutely. The most fun trail for me would be, first recognizing that you have to go up in order to come down. The climb would be challenging but ride-able, and getting you to the goods. The downhill would be as long as possible so there might be some short uphills mixed in. The turns would be tight and fast, brook crossings scary but doable, lots of rollers mixed in, and jump/drop options. Also great views and beautiful woods. And limitless loop options.
    We have all of that here at F.A.S.T. Franconia Area Trail System. Which is connected to E.A.T. Easton Area Trails. Which is also connected to S.H.I.T. Sugar Hill Interconnected Trails. So come to our place and you can EAT S.H.I.T FAST!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,325
    I drove through Franconia Notch on Friday and was wondering about riding there. I'd love to come EAT some **** FAST.

  37. #37
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,406
    Everyone's idea of technical is different. Personally, I didn't think Lynn woods was a location I'd see in this thread after riding there a couple times with local guides. The rocks have good grip, and there's enough of them for your wheels to stay on top of. Aside from some freeride style roll-ins/hucks, and a few "inopportune" makes, it was just another day on the trail I thought.

    Indyfab hit the nail pretty good with the Bangor area. Mile for mile, the place is alot more relentless than most spots I've ridden. It's just rooty, wet, and flat. The only speed you have is the speed you make, and the terrain does everything but offer it to you. The guys who live there and ride fast can do the same anywhere else they go. I can't say the same for visitors that go there.

    Personally, the most technical riding I've done is on my downhill bike. Speed is the defining factor in technical, which is where my idea is different than others. All the travel, tires, and geometry can't compensate for high-stakes risk and processing skills only speed can deliver. Anyone with proper handling skills can ride a bike on slow tightly cut trails, but its a healthy dose of mph's that turns a seemingly average trail into something far more technical than one that's ridden at walking pace.

  38. #38
    memento mori
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    370
    The Wapack runs from Peterborough NH to Ashburnham MA.For extra suffering it can be extended to Westminster MA via the mid-state trail.A 30 mile run that takes a solid 8 hours

  39. #39
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    I would never really want to spend a travel day riding the most technical trail around.

    The most fun, yes absolutely. The most fun trail for me would be, first recognizing that you have to go up in order to come down. The climb would be challenging but ride-able, and getting you to the goods. The downhill would be as long as possible so there might be some short uphills mixed in. The turns would be tight and fast, brook crossings scary but doable, lots of rollers mixed in, and jump/drop options. Also great views and beautiful woods. And limitless loop options.
    We have all of that here at F.A.S.T. Franconia Area Trail System. Which is connected to E.A.T. Easton Area Trails. Which is also connected to S.H.I.T. Sugar Hill Interconnected Trails. So come to our place and you can EAT S.H.I.T FAST!
    That's some funny stuff right there. Thanks for the laugh this morning, Richard.

  40. #40
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    So are tech trails simply difficult to stay up right? I thought tech had features like rollers, drops, skinny rides, rock gardens, not just a rootball. There's hundreds of hiking trails that would blow away most bike trails if difficulty to ride without dabbing is "Tech". Personally I prefer techy trails that are both fun and challenging.
    Last edited by snowdrifter; 06-27-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    beaver hunt

  41. #41
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    so are tech trails simply difficult to stay up right? I thought tech had features like rollers, drops, skinny rides, rock gardens, not just a rootball. There's hundreds of hiking trails that would blow away most bike trails if difficulty to ride without dabbing is "tech". Personally i prefer techy trails that are both fun and challenging.
    +1!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Some of the most technically challenging, yet fun, well defined and very makeable riding I've donw in NE has been North Shore Mass with Bill. There are endless miles of cobbley babyhead garden in North Jersey but that stuff just get's old. Hard? Hell yea. Fun? Only in small doses. In VT, I always feel like the faster I go, the more technical the trails are.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    Riding the Mormon Hollow trail and the Hannah Swarton Trail at Wendell State Forest contiguously (about 4 miles of continuous challenging singletrack) in either direction is as hard as an xc trail can get. Define technical anyway you like, but you'd need all the bike skills you own and a few you can borrow to clear the whole thing.

    I'll put up the Tour de Frost (with the Upper Frost included) in Petersham, MA as a very long, exceedingly challenging trail.

    The hardest stuff in Lynn Woods is very technical and very hard by anyone's estimation. Lynn has the highest percentage of gritty challenge per mile of any place I've ever ridden.

    Also on the xc-technical side of things in New England I have to give some props to Bachelor St (Holyoke Range SF in MA)-Running Entrance Exam, to Far East, to far out to way far out and back on Missing persons (and heck throw in the connectors to Pete's Wicked Trail) is about as technical as anyplace you'll ride (and that's roughly 8 miles of single track). Ride Lizard King, Jacob's Ladder, Serpent God, Yellow Brick rd, and Twister at B-street as well and you've just sampled one of the best, long technical rides available in New England, if not anywhere in the US.

    I'd also put in a plug for the STAB Ascutney Mountainside trails in West Windsor SF in VT-not overly technical, but there is something pretty 'expert' about all those rocky, feature filled, long ascents and descents carved into that steep hillside that adds up to a very challenging and worthwhile ride after about 3 hours.

    Oh, as for eastern, NY-I'm amazed Blue Mountain has gotten props but not Ninham! Ninham in Carmel Ny is one of the burliest rides anywhere in the Northeast-it's a lot less traveled than Blue, because it's a whole lot more challenging.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    What is the deal with Dogtown? I see very little talk about it. Is it just a bunch of rocky trails that happen to be ok to ride, or are there trails built by mtbers for mtbing?

    Is there a local shop out there that know the trails well?
    No one comes here because it's too far away and it's too easy to get hopelessly lost. Lots of good riding if you have a guide.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Some of the most technically challenging, yet fun, well defined and very makeable riding I've donw in NE has been North Shore Mass with Bill. There are endless miles of cobbley babyhead garden in North Jersey but that stuff just get's old. Hard? Hell yea. Fun? Only in small doses. In VT, I always feel like the faster I go, the more technical the trails are.
    Wonder when the last time you were there. Over the last 4 years it seems that mtbers in the whole Ringwood/Wawayanda area were given free reign to carve singletrack. Did the 100% singletrack Jungle Habitat even exist when you were there last? When i left there two years ago the community just received the green light on connecting the four parks that line the top of the state with trails. Can't wait to go check that out someday.

    Anyways, Ringwood NJ has some trails that rival the most techy i've seen. And the limted miled Sourland (more central NJ) is Lynn Woods hard at the top of the mountain.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Also on the xc-technical side of things in New England I have to give some props to Bachelor St (Holyoke Range SF in MA)-Running Entrance Exam, to Far East, to far out to way far out and back on Missing persons (and heck throw in the connectors to Pete's Wicked Trail) is about as technical as anyplace you'll ride (and that's roughly 8 miles of single track). Ride Lizard King, Jacob's Ladder, Serpent God, Yellow Brick rd, and Twister at B-street as well and you've just sampled one of the best, long technical rides available in New England, if not anywhere in the US.
    I've been meaning to get out and ride in this area. I think it is a pretty cool area entirely; Northampton is right up my alley as an ideal place to live.

    If one was to go camping out there and want to ride the trails, could one navigate a good loop sans guide?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    I've been meaning to get out and ride in this area. I think it is a pretty cool area entirely; Northampton is right up my alley as an ideal place to live.

    If one was to go camping out there and want to ride the trails, could one navigate a good loop sans guide?
    I don't think you can camp in the Holyoke-skinner Sf's. Yes, there is a well-known map of almost all the singletrack at B-street and Earl's available on line and it is fairly easy to self navigate by-however, guides are plentiful and eager so don't be shy.

    You might want to camp at the DAR in Goshen (about 20 minutes due west of Northampton)-nice camping and a great lake with @ 15 miles of high quality biker built single track on site (it's one of the better places to ride in the greater Pioneer Valley). The Park map shows many of the trails (but not all). From there B-Street is @ 30 minutes.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    I don't think you can camp in the Holyoke-skinner Sf's. Yes, there is a well-known map of almost all the singletrack at B-street and Earl's available on line and it is fairly easy to self navigate by-however, guides are plentiful and eager so don't be shy.

    You might want to camp at the DAR in Goshen (about 20 minutes due west of Northampton)-nice camping and a great lake with @ 15 miles of high quality biker built single track on site (it's one of the better places to ride in the greater Pioneer Valley). The Park map shows many of the trails (but not all). From there B-Street is @ 30 minutes.
    Awesome info. Thanks.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    I've been meaning to get out and ride in this area. I think it is a pretty cool area entirely; Northampton is right up my alley as an ideal place to live.

    If one was to go camping out there and want to ride the trails, could one navigate a good loop sans guide?
    Drop a PM if you'd like a guided tour of Bachelor Street. We can certainly rally the troops and show you the goods.

  50. #50
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Drop a PM if you'd like a guided tour of Bachelor Street. We can certainly rally the troops and show you the goods.
    B street has been on my list for years. Long drive from here but I understand it's quite incredible.

    Speaking of incredible, I just returned from a trip to the STAB trails in VT. Very impressive, super fun riding. Technical in places but in a fun, challenging way; some really nice rock features. Climbing Ridgeback (not on map but roughly parallel with South Ridge Run) is one of the highlights of my summer. Highly recommended, probably even more fun in the downhill direction. You need to join STAB to get the on-line maps or buy a Tyvek one at the Brownsville General Store for $6.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hado_pv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    B street has been on my list for years. Long drive from here but I understand it's quite incredible.

    Speaking of incredible, I just returned from a trip to the STAB trails in VT. Very impressive, super fun riding. Technical in places but in a fun, challenging way; some really nice rock features. Climbing Ridgeback (not on map but roughly parallel with South Ridge Run) is one of the highlights of my summer. Highly recommended, probably even more fun in the downhill direction. You need to join STAB to get the on-line maps or buy a Tyvek one at the Brownsville General Store for $6.
    Rob - come on down next weekend. Hit up Batchelor St on Saturday and then the Wendell MBAS Sunday. Plenty of room here to crash saturday night.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 01:31 AM
  2. Best bike for me? (new england trails)
    By vomitron in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 09:25 AM
  3. Google Map of New England Trails
    By woodsguy in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 06:08 AM
  5. Any MTB Technical (repair) schools in New England?
    By Shrub in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 11:15 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •