Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sun Devils
    Jan 2008

New question here. Most Technical Trails in New England?

I've lived out here for about 2 years now and I've been riding DH and AM trails the entire time. Based in Boston my regular spot is Lynnwoods, like many who live here, but I also make it up to HIghland quite a bit. I got into a discussion with some other riders about what the most technical trail system around New England is, our plan for this summer is to try to venture out to new areas and get to know some of the trails that aren't directly in or around Boston.

So far I've ridden LW, The Fells, HP, Vietnam, Wompatuck, Boarderland, B&T's, School St, Beverly Farms, Greenwood and Willowdale.

Out of these I still think Lynn is the most technical system although parts of B&T's are very challenging as well.

I'm just curious what others think who have tried different trails. I've heard that Exeter is great and that's on my short list for this summer along with Kingdom Trails, The Mesh in CT, Diablo, White Face, and Sunday River.

What is your favorite technical place to ride? What else should a newcomer be sure to ride to get a good taste of New England Style riding? I love the natural features here and the rock gardens can be as gnarly as any world cup course I've seen.

Tool
    Mt. Agamenticus in York, ME is fairly technical, but you really need a guide to make the most of it. In fact, you can spend a lot of time there and never find the good stuff, so a guide is strongly recommended. I'd offer to show you around, but I've only follwed others there and would struggle or fail to find the good stuff I've been shown.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Bangor/Orono makes Lynn woods look like a bike path in my opinion. Same for HP. The difference is the consistent rooty-ness. Mile for mile, it is the most technical trail system I've ridden.

Buuuut I've only ridden;
    Lynn Woods
    Fort Rock
    Portland Trails
    Camden
    KT
    North Conway
    Bath
    Bradbury
    Western Maine
    Sunday River
    Okay, too many to list I guess.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Technical you say?

Hmmm... Fort Rock has some good technical sections.

The Quarries in Concord, NH does of good job of driving away newbies... Jezebel comes to mind, the hospital trails, and the new quarry-side descent.

Franconia ( find Big Wheel Bob) has plenty.

The descent off of the mtn above the climbing scene in Rumney, NH has gnar.

think
    Jul 2008
    The stuff in Bangor might well make Lynn look like a bike path, but if so then it's pretty much a world cup DH course. Some of the lines in Lynn are about as hard as I have ridden on a trail bike. Steep, rough, exposed, and high consequence.

Although Fort Rock has challenging sections, by and large it's not particularly hard nor dangerous, just rough at times. I love Fort Rock, it's tech, and it's super fun, but it's nowhere near the top of this list. The Marsh is harder, for starters.

Part of the issue with this discussion is that "hard" and "technical" aren't always exactly parallel. Something can be extremely tech in terms of requiring remarkable proficiency and have zero consequences (reverse nose manual down a clear grassy hill)....other things can be relatively straight forward, but high consequences make them more difficult to stomach (15 foot gap jump over a 100 foot ravine).

People who claim to have the goods that beat Lynn better be willing to give tours, because I want to ride this stuff

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Is technical riding trails that are super rooty, rocky and hard to clear let alone ride at a fast pace with breaking bike parts and destroying your body? Or is technical riding little sections with nasty hucks, steep roller lines and other things with high exposure to painful consequences?

Bangor area has a lot of super techy trails that are all ridable. Big deep roots and rocks that just keep going and going but if you has some skills and some power they are not that bad. I might be a bit complacent because I ride them all the time.

We really don't have much in the way of big hucks and some of the Lynn style stuff. I haven't ridden Lynn in many years so I am in no position to comment on the terrain there.

mtbr member
    Bangor makes Lynn look like a bike path? I both doubt that and need to see that. I don't think there are many places in America that are much more difficult and bigger featured than what is at Lynn in terms of XC/AM. Lynn has both the large slickrock features and some of the craziest rock gardens i've seen people bike, and i've seen good ines.

Is there info for Bangor for someone that wants to ride some trails there sans guide?

Ft Rock should be on your list but it still isn't nearly as tech as Lynn. Easy to get around with a map too. Millstone in VT is pretty good, but on the level of HP in terms of tech. The NYC area has some pretty nice techy trail systems if you care to venture. I can assure you Blue Mountain in Peekskill NY is awesome. I've also heard the CT trails around Trumball are great too. Ringwood NJ area has trails that could keep you busy for days.

Bear brook has some awesome sections but tough to get around. If Nembafest is out there again this year it would be worth checking out. They have nice loops all marked out.

IMO, if you want great tech riding i would skip on Mt A. There are some tech sections but too much work/distance in between them.

Bradbury Mtn in ME is primarily flowy, but the "O Trial" is a nice longer stretch of decent tech. This place is very easy to get around with if you have a map.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you want to travel to Eastern NY you can find some nasty technical trail systems.

Blue Mt in Peekskill is awesome!! Similar to Lynn Woods with a lot of rock rollers, spines, features. But it is more "in the woods" than Lynn. Lot of trees, roots, dirt, etc.

SMBA in Saratoga Springs is really nice. Extremely technical. All singletrack. Miles & Miles of rock features. Built & designed by MTB'rs. Catch is you must be, or ride with, a SMBA member. There are weekly group rides you could hook up with . Check SMBA.com

Moreau State Park (aka Spier Falls) is great. Similar to SMBA but with alot more climbing & descending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcbike View Post
    Blue Mt in Peekskill is awesome!! Similar to Lynn Woods with a lot of rock rollers, spines, features. But it is more "in the woods" than Lynn. Lot of trees, roots, dirt, etc.
    Blue Mountain really mastered the art of huge granite and flow at the same time. Lots of going up one big rock, roll down the other side and flowing right up the next rock. Lots of "woo hoo" moments in there. Like Lynn only flowier and possibly just a tad bit easier. There are also play areas scattered throughout the place where you can hit features several ways (like Lynn has).

They also have a great map and marked trails. My personal favorite trails i've ridden.

Black Lion

To the OP

Lynn Woods is nuts, anyone who doesn't think so is either not riding the right trails or is fronting. Old School Lynn was on another level Talk about high stakes lines. There is allot more to Lynn than big stupid hucks to flat. Trust me.

School Street upps the anti from Lynn Woods in my opinion. High Stakes, heavy pedaling, ect...But more polished than Lynn adding high speeds to the mix.

The stuff 'Indy is referring to up in ME is super technical but in a different way. Usually slimy off camber roots, huge chunky rocks, relentless. Huge engine needed to ride up there, I think is what adds to the tech.

Exeter is much like what you would find at GreenWood, just more polished and flowy. There are many technical sections and lines out there. Worth a trip.

Go to Sunday River as soon as possible
    HP is ripper

Take a trip out to Phoenix AZ if you want to see some tech. someday

Greg
    Voltron

think
    Jul 2008
    I have seen few places that test you in every way like Lynn...fitness, technique, even navigation haha.

"Covert" Heckler1
    Nov 2009

Cool Thread

Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Where are the tech trails that everyone mentions in Bangor? I grew up around there, but it was before i mountain biked. I now live in NH and travel there frequently to visit family. i have ridden at the Bangor City Forest and what i found was ok (but super wet in areas). I'm hoping I completely missed something good because i would love to find some good riding up there for my visits. Can someone give me the goods or point me in the direction of a trail map?

What are the trails like at UMaine in Orono?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler1 View Post
    Not too much VT in this thread yet. I will throw Perry Hill and Carse Hills into the mix. Both networks have big ups, big downs, loads of tech and lots of stunts. All of Perry applies, and The Preacher and Crucible trails at Carse Hills can get pretty hairy.

I'll be riding Lynn Woods in late July for the first time which I'm sure will be eye opening. I have been to Trumball, CT twice and even though it's small, it's tons 'o fun and should be included as a place to ride if you haven't already.
    Let me know if you need some local flavor when you ride Lynn Woods
    Voltron

"Covert" Heckler1
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    Let me know if you need some local flavor when you ride Lynn Woods
    Awesome, thanks!

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    The Mad River Valley is known for its very technical, rocky, rooty, twisty trails. I haven't ridden enough places on the lists to make good comparisons, but have yet to overly challenged when visiting other EC riding areas. In fact, many locals go to Waterbury, HTF, Millstone, and KT in order to get into the middle ring for more than a few seconds at a time.

Maybe we need to bring in an unbiased judge to decide. There is no way we will get clarity from an interweb discussion.

John

MC MasterShake
    As far as places worth visiting goes we'll start with the lifts. Diablo is pretty sweet. It has much more DH and longer trails than Highland. It's not as chill an atmosphere but it is a nice switchup from Highland. Now you want to see some super sketchy techy DH go to Plattekill. That place has some seriously steep sketchy lines with loose shale all over the place. Killer stuff! Never been to Whiteface as it's a freaking haul from here. Bromont is also a haul but everyone who I've ever met who has ridden it says it blows away Highland and Diablo and any place on the east coast.

Kingdom Trails is a great experience. The mountain side from the top has some killer rugged riding. It's more highspeed than most places I've ridden. But, it has to be dry or it will be closed. The lifts at KT only have 3 trails right now. 1 of them is a sick jump trail that I could ride all day long. The other side is really fun all-day XC riding. Definitely worth a trip.

Waterbury is a pretty sweet place to check out. It's not a huge area but definitely some amazing riding. We combined it last year with going to Stowe. Lots of sick riding there.

Exeter is OK but I've never been overly impressed. Good riding but there's better stuff around Boston. I put it on par with Millstone.

N. Conway has some great riding. I've only hit a few of the spots there and I was impressed. I need to go back and get a tour.

I noticed Harold Parker was missing. That's a fun local place to ride.

As far as the most techy goes Lynn Woods, B&T, Vietnam, other NS stuff is the toughest in my book. I've ridden the rooty stuff in ME and sure the roots are crazy techy but not in a fun way. I'd much rather be slamming up and down rock faces and hitting trials level stunts vs. slipping and sliding up and down rooty hills.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    The Wapack trail is hard both in climbing and tech,make-or-break type of terrain.I've always run it from Temple mtn to Watatic.North to south 16 miles.
    Old school Lynn has always been my bench mark for tech riding.A good day at Lynn made you feel invincible,a bad one battered and bruised.

think
    Jul 2008
    Woodyak, have you ridden Exeter with locals, or just picked your way around? Let me know if you want a tour. Maybe I can improve your impression of the place.

Greg, if you don't mind me asking what's the story with School Street? (Or drop me a PM if you don't want to talk about it here).

mtbr member

I like Perry - been there a few times. It's a blast and very challenging. But Lynn was another level compared to anything else I've ridden. It's just insane, and it goes on and on and on and on.

Have fun!

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post

Take a trip out to Phoenix AZ if you want to see some tech. someday

Greg
    Greg- I think I may know you from the JRA shop, I'm the guy from Phoenix that comes in all the time. I agree Phoenix is very tech but in different ways, Lynn has more consistent challenge after challenge than the most difficult trails around Phoenix. But they are much higher speed in AZ because you've spent 60 minutes or so pedaling up to get to the down.

I like it all, I go back on a regular basis, but this time of the year is not friendly for Phoenix visits. Plus this is my home now. I'm more than satisfied with the riding around Boston but wanted to get an idea from people in VT, ME and NH what is going on up there.

It sounds like Exeter is high on the list and if I can find someone to show me around these bigger trail systems in Maine I'm all for it.

The more riding the better.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008

I'm always at Lynn so if you need some guidance PM me. That's my regular spot, as for what Perry and Carse I'd like to check those out. What part of VT are they in? I'm completely okay with earning my tech sections with long climbs, some people out East hate climbing, but that's what I'm used to from AZ.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post
    The Mad River Valley is known for its very technical, rocky, rooty, twisty trails. I haven't ridden enough places on the lists to make good comparisons, but have yet to overly challenged when visiting other EC riding areas. In fact, many locals go to Waterbury, HTF, Millstone, and KT in order to get into the middle ring for more than a few seconds at a time.

Maybe we need to bring in an unbiased judge to decide. There is no way we will get clarity from an interweb discussion.

John
    Good point! To be honest I'm not really trying to award one place #1, I doubt you can ever come to that consensus, then you'd have to start narrowing down by trail too... I'm really just wondering what people really love to ride in Northern New England so I can check out some different stuff. I go to VT, NH and ME all the time but other than highland it's never for riding. I stare at these huge swaths of open land and the largest mountains I've seen on the EC wondering what's in there to ride. So I appreciate getting the feedback, is this the same Mad River as the ski resort? It has quite the reputation for skiing.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    The Wapack trail is hard both in climbing and tech,make-or-break type of terrain.I've always run it from Temple mtn to Watatic.North to south 16 miles.
    Old school Lynn has always been my bench mark for tech riding.A good day at Lynn made you feel invincible,a bad one battered and bruised.
    Where do I find Wapack trail?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    As far as places worth visiting goes we'll start with the lifts. Diablo is pretty sweet. It has much more DH and longer trails than Highland. It's not as chill an atmosphere but it is a nice switchup from Highland. Now you want to see some super sketchy techy DH go to Plattekill. That place has some seriously steep sketchy lines with loose shale all over the place. Killer stuff! Never been to Whiteface as it's a freaking haul from here. Bromont is also a haul but everyone who I've ever met who has ridden it says it blows away Highland and Diablo and any place on the east coast.

Kingdom Trails is a great experience. The mountain side from the top has some killer rugged riding. It's more highspeed than most places I've ridden. But, it has to be dry or it will be closed. The lifts at KT only have 3 trails right now. 1 of them is a sick jump trail that I could ride all day long. The other side is really fun all-day XC riding. Definitely worth a trip.

Waterbury is a pretty sweet place to check out. It's not a huge area but definitely some amazing riding. We combined it last year with going to Stowe. Lots of sick riding there.

Exeter is OK but I've never been overly impressed. Good riding but there's better stuff around Boston. I put it on par with Millstone.

N. Conway has some great riding. I've only hit a few of the spots there and I was impressed. I need to go back and get a tour.

I noticed Harold Parker was missing. That's a fun local place to ride.

As far as the most techy goes Lynn Woods, B&T, Vietnam, other NS stuff is the toughest in my book. I've ridden the rooty stuff in ME and sure the roots are crazy techy but not in a fun way. I'd much rather be slamming up and down rock faces and hitting trials level stunts vs. slipping and sliding up and down rooty hills.
    Good to hear about the other DH parks. I go to Highland a lot, I think I went there about 33 times last summer. I like the atmosphere a lot but there's not a lot of full bore DH trails there, I'm not by any means complaining since in AZ we had only one DH park about 5.5 hours from Phoenix, but I do want to see the others. Bromont, Plattekill, Diablo, and KT are on the list. The jump trail at KT sounds sweet! There was a really cool one at Northstar that I loved, hopefully it's an EC version of that one.

Just curious do you ride a full DH setup or more of a Free Ride build? I ride a Demo 8 at Highland but I'm always wishing I had something along the lines of a SX trail for NE Style and Hellion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast