mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Moosalamoo - worth it?

We are thinking of camping on Lake Dunmore for a few days, and doing the 6 Gaps road ride...is Moosalamoo worth trying to squeeze in a MTB too?

mtbr member
    I am curious to hear how it is also. I was going to do it today but the weather report didnt good. I was going to park near the Minnie Baker trail and try Chandler Ridge around to Leicester Hollow. Here is some info on the area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gree...ter_hollow.pdf
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The family and I did the Minne Baker,Chandler Ridge, Falls of Lana and RT 53 back to Minnie Baker parking lot on Sunday. We ran out of time which is why we skipped Leister Hollow. I've been told there are still a few hundred yards of unrided sections due to the washout of 2008. Up Chandler Hollow was pretty good. There are a few sections that are techincal but my 11 and 14 year olds made the trip. VYCC seems to be working in sections along the trail. If you're looking for a bit of a challenge and don't mind a little primitive trail it is well worth it. Gives you a real wilderness feel as you travel along the ridge. Can't wait for it to be finished. The 9 mile loop will be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I did a ride there from Rt 125 in East Middlebury/Ripton up and over to Branbury State Park a couple of years ago, and would definitely not recommend it based on the conditions then. The trails were largely unridable and often difficult even to follow at all due to lack of use. We hike-a-biked more than half of it, and it was quite a slog. I know trail work is planned/in progress, and I'd love to check it out once it is complete, but until then I don't know if it is worth the bushwack (unless you're into that kind of thing).

mtbr member
    I did the loop yesterday. Started from the RT 53 parking lot at Silver Lake/Lana Falls. Took the forest road to Chandler Ridge and then Leicester Hollow back to the parking lot. Chandler Ridge was rough in sections but the most of it was nice. Their were two groups from VYCC out working on two different sections. When its done it will be sweet. The views are amazing!

Leicester Hollow was still in bad shape from the washout in 2008. But again there were two groups doing stone work that will be unreal when its finished. The first half was rough and a couple of stream crossings require you to carry your bike, but the further north you go the better it gets. Overall I was impressed. I didnt realize what a major project this trail system is. Kudos to Patrick Kell and VYCC for all their hard work.

Here is a map of the route I took.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43557734
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha