Thread: Millstone

mtbr member

Millstone

Thinking of heading over there this Saturday. I looked at the website and the trails look like a lot of fun.

I noticed that most, if not all, the trails are directional. How does this work access wise? Some of them look like mostly downhill...so just wondering what the ride is like to get to the trail heads. Any other info would be appreciated as well.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Might want to call and make sure they're open. I suspect they are (just about everything else is open around here), but it's still early around here, plus we just got some rain.

mtbr member
    The site says the opened on the 7th. Any info you can share about the trails?
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Only a few are directional. Swing in the shop and get a map (free with trail pass) some solid rides are marked on the map. We typically ride up to do z screaming demon then go over to harrington hights and ridge. then head out to the non directional trails fro the rest of the ride. finishing where began doing roller coaster for the finalle

mtbr member
    Thanks, Pitch. I'm looking forward to it!
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There's ALOT of intersections. First time there with no guide ca be hard to get a good flow. In addition to all the new stuff over by rollercoaster, I like starting at Little John, and climbing up to hit Locomotion out to boilermaker, cross the street and hit the fellowship ring, then back accross the street and headback thru the switcback/last light/winding woods area. Cross the street againto get to rollercoaster and the other directional stuff.

mtbr member
    1st was alot of figuring out. Use the map and try and pick 4 or 5 trails then pull out the map again. Davevt, This is just me but i like to hit harrington while fresh lol. thats why i do it the opposite and end up up the hill twice, start and finish. Though if there are new trails on the roller coaster hill i my have to re think things

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely grab a map and will be by myself.

Pitch - you said you like to do harrington when fresh...is that because of extensive climbing or what?
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    I wouldnt call it extensive, its pretty tech, if your tired when you get there it wont be as fun. You either make it or dont. there is no half assing it or lazy way.
    Do the long climb and do H hights then cross back over and do H ridge. Tho with out seeing the map you may not get what im saying lol

mtbr member
    Hahaaa...makes sense. I think I'll go with your method and ride that first. Sounds like there are more trails than what is listed on the site. Pretty easy to put in 3-4 hours of riding there? Just trying to plan my day a bit. Have about an hour ride to get there as well.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, we have gotten up around 26 miles in a day. When going for a big day we try to hit all the lookouts, again easier to see on the map.

mtbr member
    Pitch - would you be down to ride on Saturday? Fair warning - I'm about half way to normal riding shape lol, so I wouldn't want to slow you down or anything but it would be nice to get a tour of the place.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Not sure what my crew is up to this weekend. I live in southern nh but we have been going to milestone for 3 years now. But just trying to help. If we go soon ill hit you up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    Not sure what my crew is up to this weekend. I live in southern nh but we have been going to milestone for 3 years now. But just trying to help. If we go soon ill hit you up.
    That would be cool. I live just north of Plymouth...so if you ever want to ride in the Campton/Thornton/Waterville area lemme know.
    2011 Trance x1

Moderator Moderator
    To help with the issue of having to stop and read the map at every intersection, some loops have been marked on the trails. For example, you can follow the red arrows and not have to pull out the map unless you want to divert from the loop. They can show you this on the map when you get your pass at the trail center.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I typically ride the same route as PitchCrew. I agree that hitting Harrington while fresh is a good idea. As mentioned, it's very techy. However, that's what makes Millstone so great... there is tech everywhere. IMO, there's just a greater concentration of it in the Harrington area.
    I'm hoping to show up and ride on Saturday as well. The weather looks good, and the trails should be in great shape.

mtbr member
    Wow. That was a great day. I decided to try the Red loop on the recommendation of the guy at the shop. He said it takes about 2.5 hours...I don't think that is realistic for someone on their first ride there...alone as well. I got confused a few times , especially at the part of the loop from Harrington to fellowship. Here's what I ended up doing:

Roller coaster> abbots> rock and roll> holy roller> Harrington heights > Harrington ridge> bike path/road> fellowship ring> road back to car

That took me 3 hours. I spent a good amount of time pulling out the map. And I learned today that I am certainly out of shape for that type of riding...took multiple breaks so I could be somewhat fresh and be able to have fun. The drops and teeter totter on roller coaster were a blast! And all and all I am very impressed with that place. Harrington heights was one of the toughest trails I've ever ridden. The tech climbing moves on that trail are no joke, didn't make em all. Cleaned the decsent which was super fun.

Thanks for the tips guys. Can't wait to go back.
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Got Millstoned yesterday. I've kind of neglected that spot for the last few years but was glad to see so much work being done on the old trails. It is really helping keep them flowy. Millstone has an abundance of low speed tech. Riding from the Parking area over by little john out to fellowship and back over towards the store has alot of great trails, but after a couple hours I get kind of bored. The additions made by Pierre an the Jaques crew really help remedy this. Demon, Harrington Heights and Ridge are some of the coolest trails around. The area that Harrigton H and R are in is wicked cool. What a find and well executed. True gems and definitely on the *Must Ride* list for anyone one coming to VT looking for challenging trails. Screamin Demon and RollerCoaster have some really fast sections that keep the riding well varied overall. Well Done boys and girls! Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 05-24-2013 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for these reports, they will be very helpful when I get up there in a few weeks. I'm thinking of getting one of those map holders that attach to the handle bars for when I go to places like this for the first time, just to help reduce the number of times I have to stop at intersections. Would that be helpful in a place like this? I usually get kind of annoyed when I'm riding in places I need to pull out map every 10 mins or so. Know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF2004 View Post
    Thanks for these reports, they will be very helpful when I get up there in a few weeks. I'm thinking of getting one of those map holders that attach to the handle bars for when I go to places like this for the first time, just to help reduce the number of times I have to stop at intersections. Would that be helpful in a place like this? I usually get kind of annoyed when I'm riding in places I need to pull out map every 10 mins or so. Know what I mean?
    Honestly, with how tech this place is I wouldn't advise taking your eyes off the trail to gaze at the map LOL. Next time I go back I think I am going to focus more on the Rollercoaster/Screaming Demon/Harrington area. Fellowship Ring was cool but I enjoyed the terrain in the other area more. I'd also like to check out the other cluster of trails across the road from Fellowship.

If I had to do my first time there over again I think I would have just gone with the flow and not focused so much on staying on the course of the prescribed loop. It'd be pretty tough to actually get lost, especially with the map in your pocket.
    2011 Trance x1