Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Marshabesic....the beginning of the end.

12K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  GeorgeJr 
#1 ·
Today marks the "beginning of the end".....The 200 seasonal cottages that a developer wants to build at The Marsh, is already rearing it's ugly head. They drove a tank through there today and dug a dozen holes.....forever changing the landscape in the process. I still can't believe that they are going to pave paradise and put up freakin cottages. Some of the other amenities being offered are swimming pools, tennis courts....and the real kicker.....HIKING TRAILS.

#8 ·
bad news said:
********, sorry to hear that. Thanks for your time and efforts, I had a blast riding there.
It ain't over just yet....the "short track" is open up to the Traffic Circle. Since I think they may be done conducting maneuvers in this section, I may clean up after them and open the rest up after the rain on Monday. No doubt they will continue to do perk test in each area that the rest of the trails are located. There will be damage and things will never look the same but I can work around this. I have until May to try and stop the actual development....Things are already in the works. In the mean time....I plan to ride.

#10 ·
capt-high-pressure said:
It ain't over just yet....the "short track" is open up to the Traffic Circle. Since I think they may be done conducting maneuvers in this section, I may clean up after them and open the rest up after the rain on Monday. No doubt they will continue to do perk test in each area that the rest of the trails are located. There will be damage and things will never look the same but I can work around this. I have until May to try and stop the actual development....Things are already in the works. In the mean time....I plan to ride.
Sounds good. Let us all know if you need a hand with anything.

See you out there soon.

#19 ·
andyggg said:
Have you met with local land trusts/ conservation commissions to see it they can stop the development? Maybe they could purchase the land if it is not too late?
I attended another meeting last night concerning the proposed cottage development at The Marsh. The first step for the developer is to get the zoning changed. This will require a 2/3 majority vote by the residents of Salisbury at the May election. Our plan is to stop it dead right there. There is plenty of opposition.....now we go door to door and inform people what could be coming. We only need 1/3 of the vote plus 1 to defeat this measure.

#26 ·
Dave, we've never met but I want to thank you for what you have done out there. I'm a scant few miles away in Amesbury and tho I am a Fort Rock regular, the Marsh has become my favorite place to ride, as it is close and ridiculously fun. I have read up on the cottages and the most recent articles show the project was stalled due to the economy. I take it based on the big yellow tank in the picture that things are moving forward?

One other question ... I see there's a parcel of about 6 acres for sale right now. Sign posted right at the goshdurn trailhead. Do you know what's going on with that and/or how much it'll affect the trails?

Lastly, want to offer my services if you need help w/ anything out there - clearking, cleaning, dusting, vacuuming whatever.

-Swamp Thing

#27 ·
Swamp Thing.....The yellow tank you see in the picture has more to do with the 6 acres for sale then it does to the cottage project....which is dead. This parcel has been for sale before and was in auction as well. Nothing really happened. I would only lose a couple hundred yards of trail if in fact it gets developed. Since you show interest in helping out.....We should hook up for a ride some time and discuss some of the work I want to do out there. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.