mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Mapping Trails in Southern NH

I was wondering if there is any good one place for mountain biking trails around NH? I am into trail riding, getting more into it, plan to continue my entire life and only get into it more.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any website that maps it all, or if people do that?

I was thinking of getting a Southern NH and NE website up with ALL TRAILS on it, and I do not know much about GPS, but if you can map with a GPS then upload it, that would be cool. Can this be done?

I know there are maps thrown all over the web of each towns paths, different community forums, peoples individual attempts of mapping. But is there an accurate collaborative attempt to map all mountain biking trails?

I was thinking have different colors, one for single track, one for double track, and one for paths / rail trails.

Anyone know of such a site? Ever attempt this? can GPS do this? Is this a good idea if not done yet? Anyone up for helping me with this? I can not web design well, but have a friend who does.

The problem I run into is there are trails that I have explored in the past that are not mapped because they are not official or something like that. Like not a town forest etc. or officially maintained, but otherwise great for riding. And I KNOW more exist in all our back yards, heck, I made some trails in my back woods that I ride on, technically not my land, but I ride there, it is land locked, no one ever complained for 12 years.

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    Hey,
    So we are trying to do exactly this. We are starting in MA but are venturing out to VT, RI, CT, ME and NH when we have time. It is possible to do everything you talk about, it just takes time and resources. We would love to get more collaboration from other people to help grow the site, if you are interested please PM me. That goes for anyone that reads this. We aren't in it to make money or charge, we just want a great resources for trail maps so people can get out and ride.

So I would say if you are interested in collaborating with us, let me know. If not, and you decide to do your own thing, no worries and best of luck!

Here is our NH specific page:
    Startbiking : NH Mountain Bike Trails
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Have you looked at OpenStreetMap ?

Search for your local area, drill down on the map, you just may find that someone has already mapped your local trails.

You can also upload map databases to a garmin device from here . I found that most of my local trails were mapped and showed up on my garmin 800 oncle I downloaded the database for my region.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Have you looked at OpenStreetMap ?

Search for your local area, drill down on the map, you just may find that someone has already mapped your local trails.

You can also upload map databases to a garmin device from here . I found that most of my local trails were mapped and showed up on my garmin 800 oncle I downloaded the database for my region.

Cool thanks!

mtbr member
    A starting point for finding trail systems would be NEMBA: New England Mountain Bike Association - Places To Ride.

However the maps provided are somewhat out of date. If you search google you can usually find better PDF maps but even those can be missing some hidden gems.

Checking OpenStreetMap may help you find some unmarked local trails. I often check my rides against OpenStreet using MapMyRide or Strava on the iPhone and they are generally close to the GPS coordinates that others have recorded but there is always a slight margin for error.