Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manchester NH area

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gravitylover 
#1 ·
I'm looking into a potential job opportunity in Manchester that would mean moving the whole family up there. Basic home needs are three bedrooms plus an in law apt preferably with decent garage space. If you had a pair of 9th graders what school system would you consider to be good? Which towns have reasonable property/school taxes? Which zones offer a better quality of life than others? Personally I prefer a bit of solitude but the wife likes to have a bit more of a neighborhood setting and easy access to basic shopping needs. I'd like to have access to good (mtb) riding without having to load the bikes on the car. I would like to also be able to have a reasonable bike commute (of course weather dependent) so that probably means within about 20-30 minute drive but needs to be on bike friendly roads.

Whatcha got?

#2 ·
I'm in Auburn 20 min drive from Manch-vegas, 10 min from Pinkerton H.S. in Derry, 40 min from Pawtuckaway or Bear Brook or too many places to list. Auburn is very quiet and safe and cheap. There's a rail-trail that leads into Manch-unpaved. Lots of trails, tho FOMBA's overused and beaten-down and widened-out, and remember You can't swim in the lake. Thanks for reminding Me how lucky I am! Do some research and check back in. I know Derry, Londonderry, Manchester, and Auburn pretty well.

#3 ·
I would consider Merrimack, NH.
Lots of great riding in town and all around nearby.
Great school system, good access to services, airport and shopping, next to Manchester.
THeir are other more affluent (by reputation) also such as Bedford, Amherst and such.
Milford is also a good choice as is Mt. Vernon.
Pretty much any of the towns west of Manchester.
East is Candia and Auburn.
Pretty much all of these towns meet your criteria, but I would first look at Merrimack.
IF you find a property without in-law quarters, I'll build it for you.
PM if you need help.

#4 ·
dude- Does that rail trail run both north and south of Manchester? Which lake is no swimming?
edit; google maps answered my questions.

Settertude- Yup, Merrimack keeps popping up on my radar.

It looks like there is a bike trail running west out of Manchester just about to Goffstown, is that right?

#7 ·
Londonderry is another good choice depending on where in Manchester your potential job is. It has an exceptional school system but you'll pay for it with property taxes. I live in Londonderry and here's what I ride on a regular basis...

Musquash Conservation Area, Londonderry - 12 miles of single track - 5 minute drive or 10 minute bike ride
Derry Rail Trail, Derry - Paved rail trail with about 5 miles of single track off it - 10 minute drive
FOMBA, Auburn - 15 miles of twisty single track - 20 minute drive
Horse Hill Nature Preserve, Merrimack - 10 miles of single track - 30 minute drive
Hampstead Conservation Area, Hampstead - 12 miles of single track - 30 minute drive
Lowell Dracut Town Forest, Lowell MA - 15 miles of single track - 40 minute drive
Rockingham Recreational Rail Trail, Auburn - 18+ mile dirt rail trail - 25 minute drive
Harold Parker State Forest, Andover MA - 25 miles of single track - 45 minute drive
Bear Brook State Park, Allenstown - 30+ miles of single track - 50 minute drive

Local bike clubs host weeknight rides at many of these locations. I get my riding done before work so I'll hit close places like Musquash, Horse Hill, and Hampstead during the week and when I have time for longer rides Bear Brook is worth the drive.

Londonderry also has plenty of shopping. Home Depot, super markets, etc, within 5 minutes. Walmart is right over the border in Derry. You would also be a 15 minute drive on back roads to the Mall of New Hampshire and every big-box store you can think of. Plus you have easy access to I-93 or Route 3.

The only caveat I would add if you start looking into Londonderry is to pay attention to the proximity of the houses you look at and the airport. Planes land and take off along a flight plan that goes straight up High Range Road / Harvey Road. The closer you are to the airport the louder they are. That runway is restricted to daytime use...but anything North of Litchfield Road makes it hard to ignore the FedEx planes coming and going.

#10 ·
Thanx for the info guys. We're gonna take a ride up there Labor Day weekend and look around. Heh, property taxes. Try the NY metro area... Funny you mention "next door to Bear Brook" because two of the listings I spotted that I liked back up to it. I was thinking when I saw that how cool it would be to just be able to roll out from the backyard to the trails on my own little pirate trail. What's the deal with the Deerfield or Allenstown schools?

#12 ·
Not sure about the schools but Bear Brook is simply the best single-track riding in Southern New Hampshire.
agreed. what really separates it from many places that try to pack a ton of short trails in small acreage, is the size and large big loop wilderness feel rides you can do there all in one park.

looking forward to the NEMBA fun ride day in early october!

rog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.