mtbr member
    May 2008

New question here. Maine trail advice?

Hi. My wife and I are heading to the Acadia / Winter Harbor are the week of 9/7 -9/14 and would like to hit some xc single track. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    Hey! I'm working/living at the Park for 6 months currently. I've been wondering about your question too... I think part of the issue is the National Park has no singletrack open to MTB and there's not much other public land nearby...

Biking is fun on the carriage roads in the park, but certainly not XC singletrack. There is an abandoned road, Breackneck Road, that is fairly fun. More like rocky doubletrack, but it's the only true mountain biking I've found on Mount Desert Island. Starts behind a gate off Rt 233 (by Eagle Lake), crosses Breakneck pond, and ends up by the Visitor Center / Hulls Cove area... You can take Carriage Roads from the Visitor Center, right by Aunt Beatty Pond, and hit the 2nd half down Breackneck, catching it and turn right/downhill by the Breakneck pond, where it parallels the carriage road closely...

In terms of what's nearby:
    An hour or two south on Rt 1 is Camden Hills State Park and the Camden Snow Bowl. There's a good XC loop by the Snow Bowl, and they sometimes run the chairlift for bikes. Challenging XC singletrack there. Limited singletrack open to MTB at Camden Hills State Park, but I enjoy it.

There's also some trails around Bangor (Bangor City Forest) and Orono (forget the name) that are within 2 hours of Acadia, haven't checked em out yet.

If there's nice singletrack in the downeast Maine region to close Acadia other then that, I ain't heard about it... PM me if you want to ride Breakneck this weekend, I'd be happy to show you what I know...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hey specialized2
    thanks for the info will let you know we wont be there early enough to ride saturday possiblity of sunday though will PM you asap if we can meet up for a ride

mtbr member

Serenity now!
    If you are driving up I-95, you could hit Bradbury Mountain just north of Portland.

In Augusta there is a fun system called Bond Brook next to the Augusta airport. Parking and trailhead are located in the back of the cemetery next to the airport.
    Duchess of Dab