mtbr member

Maine snow biking

Anyone know of any trails that have been packed out in southern Maine?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Southern Maine...is that Northern Mass?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Midcoast Maine is in pretty good shape

Hope is Hip and so is my Surly - Snowbikin, Hope Maine from JSA on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    With the freeze that is coming down right now any trail that was packed before the thaw should be pretty mint riding. Wicked stoked to get out on the local snowmobile trails!
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltDH View Post
    With the freeze that is coming down right now any trail that was packed before the thaw should be pretty mint riding. Wicked stoked to get out on the local snowmobile trails!
    Hmmm, new snow and possible rain is not helping. Hopefully the sleds will be out the rest of the week and we get a good freeze before Saturday.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    What part of southern Maine? The singletrack at Libby hill in Gray is pretty nice right now but you'll need studs because it is getting icy (fast). Snowmobile trails around the area are hit or miss. I had a miss this morning. How was your commute today?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Maine has a vast snowmobile trail network. Try there. Or powerline trails where ATV's like to go ought to be packed ok too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    What part of southern Maine? The singletrack at Libby hill in Gray is pretty nice right now but you'll need studs because it is getting icy (fast). Snowmobile trails around the area are hit or miss. I had a miss this morning. How was your commute today?
    Portland. Where is Libby hill? I have never ridden there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockville View Post
    Midcoast Maine is in pretty good shape

Hope is Hip and so is my Surly - Snowbikin, Hope Maine from JSA on Vimeo.

Hey John great video, I have to get a fat bike, the trails look great. Smitty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Portland. Where is Libby hill? I have never ridden there.
    In gray, right off 26 behind fire station. Maps on line

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Actually, it is 1 street down from the fire station behind the schools. Libby Hill Website There are a few miles of single track that is running pretty fast right now. In the summer the whole place is available to bike but in the winter the wide trails are groomed and reserved for skiing. The singletrack gets packed by snowshoes and is in good shape right now. Donations are requested but not required.

Trail Map

Otherwise, some of the snowmobile trails in this area are in good shape.

mtbr member
    I passed on Libby hill yesterday because I wanted to ride with my dog. I heard there are some trail Nazis over there photographing people who do not leash their dogs. We went to Bradbury instead and had a great ride. The trails that have been ridden/walked/snow shoed are mostly in good shape. Packed snow with slick surface. A little bumpy from hikers. We did fine with no studs but could have ridden faster with them. Snow mobile trails were packed and fast. We rode Knight's Woods, Snowmobile trail, Link trail, Lanzo, Island, Old Tuttle road, Ginn, Fox West and Link back to parking area.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive 29/700c studded tire? Amazon has the conti nordic spike on sale for $55. Is this tire any good? Must be better than no studs. How about the Kenda Klondike?

And thank to Kevin who gave me the tube out of his bike so I did not have to drive all the way back to Beans after the valve on my tube broke and the valve in my spare also broke. Not sure why they are breaking so easily.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Ahem, I haven't taken any pictures but I am on of those trail Nazis . I'm on the Libby Hill board and also help build the bridges and maintain the trails there. I also have a dog and understand your frustration though. There have been a few people with overzealous unleashed dogs up there that have knocked over cross country skiers more than once. They have pretty much ruined it for everybody. Give LH a try on a dog free ride. It's relatively small as a destination for a day long ride.

It sounds like you found a good place to ride anyway. It sounds like perfect winter riding. Thanks for the trail update although it's all going to change this week.

As far as studded tires go, I'd stick with Nokian or Schwalbe because they have carbide studs and last significantly longer than the plain steel studs. I have 2 pair of Nokian Extremes (26" & 29") and a pair of Nokian Mount & Ground (26", better for the road). I hear the Schawalbe Ice Spikers are better but quite a bit pricier and the Nokian Extremes let you do 95% of what the ice spikers do. What kind of bike are they going on?

mtbr member
    Bedwards, no offense to you but I do take exception to having my photo taken for a leash violation. What is the point of taking a photo? I understand the rules and how some have ruined it for everyone but if my dog is not welcome I am very unlikely to ride there. My dog has a very good mental leash and he does exactly what I say. I know not all dogs are like that.

Maybe there can be a compromise where well mannered dogs can be allowed on the singletrack and away from the ski trails.

I am riding a 2011 Trek Hifi 29er. Found a deal for Nokian Extreme 294 for $170/set. We only ride trails so no street wear on the studs. Does the Carbon make that big a difference if you are only riding trails? I only need these tires to last 2 more winters. Maybe the Nokians on the front and someting a little less aggressive on the rear.

And thank you for your involvement in the Libby trails.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    No offense taken. From the outside looking in I'm sure we look pretty rigid. If fact we are all volunteers trying to keep the peace. Since there is really no method of enforcement pictures are the only deterrent we have for repeat offenders. Our goal is to make compromises to keep the trails as inviting as possible to everybody that wants to use them. I'll bring up your suggestion at the next meeting and see what happens.

I'm not sure about how all steel would hold up on trail only, probably pretty good. The Nokian's will last for many seasons. The rear wears faster so I'd put the long wear studs on the rear. $160/pair

I'd avoid the 700C sizes because when the snow gets softer you want all the width you can get. If you really only need them for 2 seasons you can probably buy the Nokians and then sell them for 75% of what you bought them for.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip at ebikestop.com. That is the best price so far. They also have free shipping > $75 but they get you on a $12 oversize item fee. Not sure how a tire is considered oversize. Still cheaper than the other deal I found.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    FYI, bikeman.com will price match most things and the shipping from Bath, ME ends up being 1 day. Free shipping over $159. Supports your "local" shop, cheap price, fast shipping...

mtbr member
    I have bought stuff from Bikeman before. I actually bought a Gary Fisher from the store back in '97. But the last couple of orders took them a week to process. Shipping was one day though.

BTW, cool blog. Looks like you and your wife like to compete. Although we both love mountain biking, my wife and I get our competition fix on the water sailing. Easier to drink beer that way!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I actually called them when I bought a pair of tires and had them confirm that they could ship them the same day, they did!

She runs, I ride - and those paths cross occasionally. Kayaking is our beer drinking sport. I use to sail in GMORA races, that was a good way to drink beer too.

mtbr member
    We rode Bradbury on Sunday. 25, mostly cloudy and a 10mph wind. After the warm weather, rain and re-freeze, the trails were pretty good. Some were bare while others had a mixture of hard pack frozen snow and ice. Without studs we had to carefully pick our lines on some sections but overall was pretty fast. My wife and I each went down once on ice but at slow speed. New Nokians should arrive today.

I was very surprised there were not more bikers out there. Saw 2 on the trail and only 2 other cars in the parking lot with bike racks.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Nice! All the snowmobile trials are the same, just about an even mix of bare, hardpack and ice. Some of the ice is a little sketchy even for the studs. I have 2 big ice flows that I can't make it up because it is too steep but there are some smaller ones that I can and one that I should be able to make by the end of the week with some practice. I also got to go out on Sebago both days this weekend.

You will love riding with the studs. You won't think twice about riding over things you wouldn't consider without them.