2OFME
    Sep 2006

Maine North Woods/Aroostook Mtn Biking?

So, it says directly on the Maine North Woods website that bicycling is not allowed
    BICYCLES, MOTORCYCLES, ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES AND HORSES

"No bicycles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles or horses are allowed at any time of year in the North Maine Woods area. This is necessary for logging road safety and to reduce the possibility for forest fires in hard to reach locations"

Yet within the same website there is a comment about steadily declining visitors.....Seems they have an untapped potential with all the dirt roads up there.....

Anyways...does anyone know of anything up in the vicinity of say the Allagash lakes area that you could do some multi-day bikepacking? Remote roads, "ninja" camping in the woods, etc?

Thanks,
    -Pete

mtbr member
    Having spent a significant amount of time in the NMW, I can say it's a cyclists dream to be able to cruise along some of those roads. There are some pretty special places up there, in fact I'm headed in in a week for a long weekend of driving and paddling. Sadly it's true though, you can't even bring in a bicycle past the check points, plus the Game Wardens would be all over you if they saw you up there. The closest you can get that is legal to ride a bike is probably Baxter State Park on the Tote road. That would make a nice little tour.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    I started doing some research on ATV trails in Maine too. It looks like I may be able to get some pretty long days on ATV trails with not much in the way of roads or towns. I need to do some more research, but this may be an alternative to the Maine North Woods.
    I even went out and bought the DeLorme atlas of Maine which is pretty sweet.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber25 View Post
    ... The closest you can get that is legal to ride a bike is probably Baxter State Park on the Tote road. That would make a nice little tour.
    'Tis true...my Baxter tour almost a year ago...
    My first bikepacking adventure

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden in the Elliotsville Plantation area on the Katahdin Woods and Waters land and along the East Branch of the Penobscot River?? I am planning a N to S ride through Baxter State Park and have been discovering this area and decommissioned logging roads that are open to riding and a route that would take you North from Millinocket to Matagamon in the huge parcel of land east of BSP. I have also snowmobiled in the area pretty extensively, but have never been in summer on a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know its not quite the NMW and not exactly single track bombing but what about the Bangor-Aroostook Trail?

State Parks and Public Lands: Maine ACF - Search Results
    Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have ridden my CX bike through a bunch of the KWW land. If you are Going up or down through Baxter, you can ride dirt down from Mattagammon gate following the East Branch of the Penobscot. You can ride out into Sherman or ride down all the Way to Rt 11 which will take you back to Millinocket. Have fun and Enjoy the Views.