mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Maine Hut to Hut in Winter

Can anyone give me some information on winter biking the Maine Hut to Hut trail system? I have read in one place that it is allowed, but have I am looking for some one that has actually done it on fatbikes in the snow.

Thanks,

Glenn

The Traveling Vagabond
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Sorry no experience here but we have considered it. The one thing that keeps us from using the huts is that your dog must be kept outside. That's a deal breaker for us when biking in winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I did see that they allow camping 'off trail' which is what I intend to do. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sounds like a good trip... assuming somewhat packed trails.
    do they set tracks? or groom?

i have a friend who did a VT > ME tour this summer and stayed in one of the huts. nothing but good comments from him on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks. It looks like a great setup, I just can't find any reference to biking in the winter. I don't think it is an issue, but I would like to know. I have emailed them and will post what they say.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had a conversation with the E.D. last winter about this. At that point it was not allowed on the trails, though they were looking into it. Shoot them an e-mail, great people who love adventures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just spoke with them today and the answer is yes. It is new for them and they are a bit nervous, although optimistic that it will work. I think one of their bigger concerns is destruction of the trail by bikes on melting days, so we just all need to be conscious of this. I will be heading out in a couple of weeks for my first trial of the trails. Hopefully the snow begins to fall in the not too distant future.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn charles View Post
    I just spoke with them today and the answer is yes. It is new for them and they are a bit nervous, although optimistic that it will work. I think one of their bigger concerns is destruction of the trail by bikes on melting days, so we just all need to be conscious of this. I will be heading out in a couple of weeks for my first trial of the trails. Hopefully the snow begins to fall in the not too distant future.

Glenn
    cool.

would do the same or less damage as snowshoes or post holers in boots.
    and i can't imagine that there will be an onslaught of fat bikers any time soon. will take awhile to gain momentum with this sort of thing.

break em in slowly! you'll be a good rep for the rest of us!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Would be a great place for a New England Fat bike gathering. Hey, they have all the essentials, great trails, scenary, lodging, and they serve beer (you don't have to carry with you)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post
    Would be a great place for a New England Fat bike gathering. Hey, they have all the essentials, great trails, scenary, lodging, and they serve beer (you don't have to carry with you)
    Working on that, not in ME, somewhere closer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Either would be great. I am going to spend some time there in December and will post a write up. It would be great if there were a couple of New England Fat Bike events.

mtbr member
    Great news, the system as had some great reviews, and with the folks that I know who started the system and worked there over the last few years, I don't doubt it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep. Looking forward to getting out. I was all set to go next week, but a family issue has come up and will delay the trip. Luckily, the forecast is for snow in the next week, so here is to hoping... Would love to hook up with other NE riders in the region...

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Sorry to respond so late.
    We have done all the huts except the new Stratton Brook hut,
    The Hut people have been very excited to see fatbikers on the trails.
    Grand Falls Hut is very remote. Trail conditions are unpredictable. We attempted it three or four times and have turned back due to snow conditions. We've done Flagstaff to Poplar Stream and out to the Carrabaset many times. This year we wan to ride the new trail from West Forks to Grand Falls. 14 miles and no bailouts. Then 12 miles out to the Flagstaff trailhead, again with no chance of a bailout.
    The trail system is built for xc-sking and snowshoeing, so we have "tread"-lightly. If the conditions would lead to conflicts, we would not go. There are plenty of snowmachine trails in the area to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been in contact with them and I think they are excited about the potential that bikers offer to the system. With that said, I totally agree that trail ethics are going to be huge so that their is not a 'use' issue between the bikers and the XC ski folks. I have been unable to get out yet, but hoping to do so in the next week or two. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn charles View Post
    It would be great if there were a couple of New England Fat Bike events.
    Winterbike @ KTA in March
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maine Hut to Hut in Winter-ktawinter.jpg  

-Chris

mtbr member
    I was at Winterbike last year and was on my 29er and did just fine, conditions were super solid and I had a blast. Now that i have a fatbike I am going to try to go again this year. I am in the thinking stages of trying to get a fatbike event going here, there really aren't any in the northeast...and there should be. A Maine hut tour would be awesome-possum, but too expensive to reach the masses. I'm thinking a decent group ride, and a modest race starting around dusk, the same time as the party. Maybe. Next year.