Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Maine fall riding

Yesterday, we had the best fall riding ever.
    Carrabassett vally NEMBA has done (is doing) a great job at the Sugarloaf X-country center. Combined with the Hut-to-Hut trail system, I'd say KT has a real challenger for the best trails in New England.

Stop in at the bike shop and talk to Bob. Great trail info and maps available there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Rode with Josh down here in VT while he was visiting Hardy and checking out Sustainable Trail Works projects. Sounds like the CV is on the short list for ride/fish family vay-cay.
    A day in the life of a trail builder on Vimeo

mtbr member
    I rode up there years ago and it was basically just the XC ski trails and the old rail trail along the river. I guess it is time to check them out again.

We had a nice ride at Bradbury yesterday. Heading to KT in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    CV has some good trails! Wish i was a bit closer though.

In Bethel, there is a new piece of single track being developed on a parcel of land that was donated to the town recently. Pretty good chunk of land off the back side of Sunday River between North Road. 2 miles of single track just got done. There is a lot more work to be done there.

I am looking forward to the day when riders could bike from town to the new parcel, do a nice loop there and ride back into town and rip around the Gould Academy xc loop 1 time for a fun ride!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    We have ridden a pile of trails around New England. Bradbury, KT, NH, Rangeley, etc.. The trails around CV are developing into some of the best. The trail crew is doing a fantastic job and the Sugarloaf Vally is pushing it's development.

A visit with Bob at the bike shop is a must. He can show you the new stuff that hasn't made it onto the maps yet.

beer thief
    I helped out with Maine Huts & Trails project at the Stratton Brook Hut one weekend in June and rode up there a couple weekends. The hut to hut trail system is not well-suited for bikes at this point, but they are working on it

I agree that the CV partners have a lot of momentum going and are creating some great trails, but I think they have a long way to go. The quality of what they are doing is excellent, the quantity (from what we saw) is somewhat limited.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I helped out with Maine Huts & Trails project at the Stratton Brook Hut one weekend in June and rode up there a couple weekends. The hut to hut trail system is not well-suited for bikes at this point, but they are working on it

I agree that the CV partners have a lot of momentum going and are creating some great trails, but I think they have a long way to go. The quality of what they are doing is excellent, the quantity (from what we saw) is somewhat limited.
    It's true. Josh felt that by then end of next summer they would be getting to a point where folks might really start making the trip up. How cool is it that the TOWN employs a trail crew?!?

mtbr member
    Wow. Awesome stuff here. I skied the Hut Trail and keep up-to-date on trail work via here, NEMBA, google etc. I always sort of envisioned a cool set of trails being put it, like one said "almost" to rival KT.

As a young guy who loves recreation (beyond just MTB) I think the stuff going on is awesome. Almost makes me want to quit the boring cubicle job and head north...

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Most of the riding we do (wife and I) is back country stuff. Throw in the trips to KT, NH, and the other trails "systems" around Maine, and we sample all kinds of riding. CVNEMBA has been building a great mix of trails. We gravitate to the more remote stuff, but the trails being built rival the x-country riding anywhere we have been.
    With the community and landowners in the valley behind mtn. biking....the sky is the limit!

mtbr member
    Love hearing that. May try the Backcountry Challenge next year, long for some "out there" stuff. I love hearing about communities embracing recreation (especially MTB). Would love to live in a place like that.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you became more involved in trail advocacy and helped drive trial development in your area you COULD live in a place like that! It takes time, it's hard work, but even one person can make things happen.

mtbr member
    Oh I know you aren't fishbum. And trust me I am. I live in an area where NEMBA is starting to get more active. I want to be more active. But I find it difficult when so many people have "competing interests" (egos). And I do believe the community support is a large help.

I think you're absolutely right. The other large part of why I am NOT doing that? I'm a young buck who won't be settling into one place too soon. So wherever I am I want to offer what I can.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Understood - too often I hear people say they wish their trails were better but they do nothing to help... Or they say "when you get those trails done let us know so we can ride them". Yeah, OK, I'll put a reminder on my calender!
    I keep thinking that if everyone that rides gave up one ride (or one morning) to help with trails, things would happen much quicker and benefit all!

mtbr member
    Agreed 100% fish, sent a PM by the way.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Dear Fish...don't assume. Please.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Dear Fish...don't assume. Please.
    Where is the assumption?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    That the poster has not been involved in trail work. i know you typed "not trying to be a di@k, but"

damn...I assumed you were talking about me! jees, talk about assuming.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    No problem, I was careful in my wording - Ice said he would love to live in a place like that, so I responded with suggesting he became more involved... which implies he is already involved! We all could do more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    That the poster has not been involved in trail work. i know you typed "not trying to be a di@k, but"

damn...I assumed you were talking about me! jees, talk about assuming.
    Yeah 1spd that was to me haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Had fun riding this weekend in the Bethel area. Got to ride 1 day at the mountain. Got to watch some high school mtn bike racing at Gould Academy after I ripped around the course, and then checked out some new singletrack in the area. I love fall riding in Maine, beautiful outside with all of the colors and crisp air.