Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maine

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Maine

This is basically a thread for anything to do with maine. So trails, photos, riding experiences, events, etcetera.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    no. Vermont only.

rog

mtbr member
    Toddski, knows Maine.

cranktankerous Mainer

Maine

Maine, it has strange road kill. Attachment 820827
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maine-squid.jpg  

Last edited by Toddski; 08-23-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    I did some gravel road riding up through Baxter this past weekend, gate to gate and back. Great ride on the cross bike with very little traffic on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maine-baxter.jpg  

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    no. Vermont only.
    You're right, we got nothin' in Maine. Please stay in VT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can I come hang out in Maine, please? Don't worry I'm not one of the Vermont weirdos :P

Trail Prospector
    Honestly, riding in Maine is good, but the goods are odd.
    Many trails on private land keep lips sealed, and online posting line has caused
    access issues, so expect limited replies. Here are some legit trails to hit,
    best to keep moving, and to slather yourself in bug dope.
    --------
    York/Wells: Mt. Agemenucus / Aggie
    K-Port: Smith Preserve
    Biddeford: Clifford Park
    Portland: Presumpscot River, Evergreen Cemetery, Fore River, Pride's Corner
    Freeport/Pownal: Bradbury State Park (busy on weekends)
    Gray: Libby Hill
    Windham: Lowell Preserve
    ------
    Other nearby stuff does exist, yet most will tell ya that "ya can't get theyuh from heyuh"!
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    I will add:

Cumberland: Greely Loop - nice flowy ST and a good climb
    Falmouth: Blackstrap Hill - Being developed by Allspeed
    Westbrook: Rocky Hill - behind Congdin school
    Cape Elizabeth: Greenbelt trails off Summit St.
    Augusta: Bond Brook - Nice flow trails being develop by MM NEMBA
    Belgrade Lakes: Kennebec land trust - Big climbs on DT, some hike-a-bike ST

The loops we ride a lot are Bradbury, Greely, Smith and Presumpscot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    CeMeNEMBA (Central Maine) maintains trails at;
    The Res - Hallowell (fast, fun, & flowey singletrack, rock quarry's, new section "The Junk Yard")
    Bond Brook - Augusta (check out "wanna-be" -mini sidewinder, also home of Tread Fest in October)
    Pine Ridge - Waterville (fun singletrack, bridges, jumps, OMG, and "the Canyon")

In addition there's good riding at;
    Androscoggin Riverlands SP - Turner (lot's of tech, and you get to climb "The Beast")
    Range Pond SP - Poland (4.5 miles of tight twisty singletrack across the road from the main entrance, noob friendly)
    Summerhaven - Augusta (our go-to spot for wet conditions, mostly bermed ATV trails but wicked fun)

Honorable mention if your in the neighborhood;
    Mt Apatite - Auburn (5k multi use trail, old quarry roads, limited singletrack but fun)
    Last edited by Onestep4me; 08-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Where do I find trail maps on all those areas? I have picked my way through bond brook but the online maps are incomplete.

Summer haven is fun but has really gotten hacked up by atvs. Used to be a great bermed trail there and some nice singletrack. Definitely better when wet. Dry sand sucks.

BTW, we used to be members on cemenemba about 15 years ago and rode with the group back then. Living in Portland now but have a camp in Belgrade so always looking to find more ST in that area.

It would be great to see those folks develop some ST in the Kennebec highlands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post

It would be great to see those folks develop some ST in the Kennebec highlands.
    Stay tuned, it's work in progress!

as for maps, well, I don't know of any but we ride Wednesday night alternating between the Res, Bond Brook, and Pine Ridge. Come join us!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    Stay tuned, it's work in progress!

as for maps, well, I don't know of any but we ride Wednesday night alternating between the Res, Bond Brook, and Pine Ridge. Come join us!
    Thanks, I would love to learn some of those other areas, but getting up there in time after work would be difficult for us. Do you ever do group rides on weekends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very cool guys. I live in Lewiston and work in Scarborough. I have to find out where to pick up the Greenbelt as they are about 5 miles from work. How are they? I like technical ST. I also would like some more details on the trails in the Augusta area, I would love some change of scenery. Bradbury and Blackstrap are good fun as is Evergreen and Presumpscot river trails for a speed ride before work. Here is a pic, anyone know where it is???

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    I know they love their Alan's coffee brandy up there in Maine real pissa.

fuggansonofahowa
    ufuggansonofahowa, stop pokin' fun of us.

I'm going riding today & tomorrow. I'm going to do some exploring. Greely sounds like it's worth hitting.

Maine Trails

Seems to be a fairly good site. I see some missing loops at Range S.P.....but the trails I frequent do match pretty well with my GPS mappings.

(am I letting the cat of the bag - I'm a bad Mainer)

mtbr member
    Greely is fun if you know the trails. I have put together a fun short loop. About 5 mi. Good for after work. Unfortunately there has been some logging near Blanchard rd.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    You live by Bruce Hill? I do. The logging damage is minimal, I only saw that one singletrack get thrashed in a couple places, but please don't work on fixing any sections of trail yet, NEMBA (specifically me) is involved with the Land Trust to coordinate fixing this once logging is complete...!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I use the Maine Snowmobile maps as a guide. This is the Maine ITS map with links to local snowmobile trails. MapRoom: Maine Snowmobile Trails Some sections of snowmobile trails get closed in the summer because they are too wet or are being used as farmland but most of them are still open and ride-able. You always have the argument that the land owner must have given consent for trail use. Some get posted "NO ATVs" which is fine by me because ATV riders don't seem to be happy unless they are destroying trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    You live by Bruce Hill? I do. The logging damage is minimal, I only saw that one singletrack get thrashed in a couple places, but please don't work on fixing any sections of trail yet, NEMBA (specifically me) is involved with the Land Trust to coordinate fixing this once logging is complete...!
    Yes. The section I am talking about is the ST that is between Greely ext and Blanchard rd. Good to know that it is being addressed. We always start at the end of Greely rd. and use that loop as a warm up before riding the ST on Bruce hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    CeMeNEMBA (Central Maine) maintains trails at;
    The Res - Hallowell (fast, fun, & flowey singletrack, rock quarry's, new section "The Junk Yard")
    Bond Brook - Augusta (check out "wanna-be" -mini sidewinder, also home of Tread Fest in October)
    Pine Ridge - Waterville (fun singletrack, bridges, jumps, OMG, and "the Canyon")

In addition there's good riding at;
    Androscoggin Riverlands SP - Turner (lot's of tech, and you get to climb "The Beast")
    Range Pond SP - Poland (4.5 miles of tight twisty singletrack across the road from the main entrance, noob friendly)
    Summerhaven - Augusta (our go-to spot for wet conditions, mostly bermed ATV trails but wicked fun)

Honorable mention if your in the neighborhood;
    Mt Apatite - Auburn (5k multi use trail, old quarry roads, limited singletrack but fun)

This pine ridge in Waterville sounds interesting, can you give any more details?

Such as, with a novice girlfriend would the hour or so drive north from Portland be worth it? And location obviously.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    Fishbum, I rode Bruce Hill last night and the ST by Blanchard road looks great. Thanks for the effort.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you happen to have an "open mind" there are thousands upon thousands of miles of places to ride in Maine. Some may not be officila bike trails, but like others, I ride snowmobile trails a good part of the time... I'm lucky to live in an area where there are over a 2000 miles of trails/gravel roads, so am open to whatever the weather conditions permit. (western Maine)

Does anyone here Fatbike? Just bought one myself, so an anxious to see/feel the difference.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Find a good spot to hang up your other mtn. bikes. Once you fatbike (verb), you will realize those Alaskans built Fatbikes for us here in Maine!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast