mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for suggestions for my week in VT

I will be camping for a week at Little River SP outside Waterbury starting the last weekend in June. Primary focus: as much mountain biking as possible. My knowledge of the systems in that area are pretty much limited to, 1) last year's VT MTB Fest and 2) the Stowe & Waterbury MTB trail map.

I'll probably do the EFTA race on the 30th (opportunity to see some new trails). Also, another day Perry Hill riding to/from the campground is a definite.

Looking at the map, it appears I can ride from the campground (Dalley Loop, Ricker Farm, Foster Farm, Cotton Brook) and eventually make it to Pipeline/Trapps/Adams Camp with some roads. Realizing that would be one hell of a ride, I might give it a go unless someone has feedback to suggest otherwise. Thoughts?

What are the reviews on Sterling Forest - according to the map, it doesn't look expansive, but possibly a lot of climbing?

I'll probably take a day trip over to KT as well.

Anyway, I looking for any other suggestions for what to include in this trip. What are some of the other area favorites? Anyone able to get out during the week and ride, willing to guide me onto new (for me) trails?

Looking forward to it and possibly meeting some of you folks too.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You should plan a day at Millstone too, not far from Waterbury some more technical riding than KT. There is lots of stuff in the Burlington area that I'm not familiar with find FOTW, Fellowship of the Wheel online, they are the club in that area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    In the Waterbury area I'd hit Millstone, stowe, perry hill, waitsfield for sure. Waitsfield and Stowe are best done with a guide. PerryHill and Millstone are pretty easy to self navigate. Other nice spots are Hinesburg/Sleepy Hollow, Rochester, Pittsfield. What kind of riding do like?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    the trick is if you do sterling valley is to start in the town of stowe and so you get a fun singletrack decent back into stowe. To start in town climb up to peek a view while hitting all of the singletrack up in sterling forest, the decending via Tony/Tamarack which you will not find even with the bottom GPS track.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Slippery Roots and Rock Oh My near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava

Ill cya at the EFTA race which are awesome trails as well, and maybe can show you around and how to connect everything here.

Desert Seeker
    Definitely would recommend Millstone for a day. Check out the Fellowship of the Wheel web site for some details on Burlington-area trails. You can do an Epic combining Sleepy Hollow, Hinesburg & Carse. Probably best to do with someone who knows it and can help shuttle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Awesome, thanks folks. Millstone is now definitely on the list, looks sweet. DaveVT when you refer to Stowe, what areas specifically are you talking about? Stuff that's not on the map? Which I'm gathering there are a ton of trails that aren't on the map. That Strava route from Bushwacker is exactly the kind of rides I'm seeking. I know I will enjoy a day of tech in Millstone, but overall my goal is long XC rides and with ideally a lot of climbing. I'm training for a multi day event in CO in Aug. Is there an updated map that shows the trails Bushwacker referred to? Or can I just drop in the local shop and they can give me enough guidance? Let me know if anyone can play hookie...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IF2004 View Post
    Awesome, thanks folks. Millstone is now definitely on the list, looks sweet. DaveVT when you refer to Stowe, what areas specifically are you talking about? Stuff that's not on the map? Which I'm gathering there are a ton of trails that aren't on the map. That Strava route from Bushwacker is exactly the kind of rides I'm seeking. I know I will enjoy a day of tech in Millstone, but overall my goal is long XC rides and with ideally a lot of climbing. I'm training for a multi day event in CO in Aug. Is there an updated map that shows the trails Bushwacker referred to? Or can I just drop in the local shop and they can give me enough guidance? Let me know if anyone can play hookie...
    Town of Stowe is littered with trails and only a fraction are on the map. There are some great long rides. They will be nearly impossible to link without a guide. I think at last years fest, the big ride was 75 miles from Waterbury to morrisville and back. It's "easy" miles though. Some very non-tech connectors from trail to trail. Riding at Hinesburg on the other hand is all singletrack. I like parking on the Carse end and riding over to Economu rd area and back. A few to several farily stout climbs and some great long and flowing dh runs. You might want to check out the camping situation at millstone. It is more trailside then little river. You should definitely ride waitsfield as well. Stark Mtn Bike shop corner of rt 17 and100. Lots of climbing and monster loops possible. Between Stowe/waterbury/KT/Waitsfield/Millstone you will get a great taste of what Central and NVT have to offer. Add Pittsfield and Ascutney which are a bit south and you add what 75-100 miles more trail. It's just getting rediculous how much good riding there is in these hills. Then there's the stuff we're not telling you about. dpackie at hotmail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is there a map anywhere for Hinesburg? This sounds like a place I need to hit. Also, any feedback on the idea of riding there from Little River? Any trails to get me there?

I would camp at Millstone, but Little River is more accommodating for the family. Still curious if anyone knows how/if I can ride the trails from Little River to Cotton Brook and onto Pipeline/Trapps/Adams Camp?

Again, if anyone can break free during the week of the 4th, I would be stoked to ride with you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can ride from Little River to Stowe for sure. Hinesburg is a bit of a hike though and it would be pretty much all road as far as I know. You can join Fellowship of the Wheel to get access to their trail maps. I don't think non-members can get them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've done the ride from Little River up through Stowe and back many times and led the ride that Dave referred to at the VT Bike Fest last summer. It is a great tour and you can modify it from 60-80+ miles depending on what you want to add. As Dave said, there is a lot of local knowledge to piece the best single track loops. That said, with the public maps you can still put together a decent loop. What you miss are some of the key connecting "off the map" trails. But using the bike path and dirt roads, you can combine a lot.
    As far as HTF and Carse, we do a monster ride from Richmond that goes up and over Cochran's, up and over Sleepy Hollow, up and over HTF, up and over Carse, and then return up and over Cochrans for a punishing day. All those except Cochran's is publicly mapped if you join the Fellowship. To maximise what is published, I would do this:
    Park at Audubon parking lot on Main road in Huntington. Spin up Sherman Hollow Rd to Sleepy Hollow. Check in at Sleepy. Follow yellow loop clockwise to cabin. Take yoda to HTF connector. Spin the 1/4 mile to the HTF trail head. Climb Maiden to Backdoor. Continue on Backdoor down to Lincoln Hill. Cross road and enter Carse trails. Climb Henry's and descend Preacher to Pinner, Slight Return, to Voodoo child. Climb up Front door trail, up Underground railrod and descend Henry's Highland. Cross road and climb Back door. At top, take right on Dragon's tail all the way to Wolf Tree. Descend Wolf tree back to Draggon Tail over to Lost Trail. Descend Passing the Horizon. Backtrack up the Yoda trail connector and continue on the 2nd half to the yellow loop in Sleepy Hollow.
    This is a pretty punishing loop that is 98% singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    man, this all sounds sweet. I've been searching through Strava slowly trying to piece together these descriptions. It sounds like trails in Hinesburg are well marked so as long as I have a description and some sense of direction I will do OK? Regarding maps - does anyone know if I join Fellowship online will I have immediate access to downloadable maps, or is it the kind of deal where I have to buy paper versions?

How does the pay-to-ride systems work? Is there always some kind of kiosk or am I just dropping cash in to a box? What about Trapps - when I ride Pipeline/Adams Camp area, can I wonder onto Trapps? Not at all trying to dodge paying, just want to know what to expect.

Lastly (for now), how is Caddy Hill? I found a route on Strava that looks like it's mostly on the published maps other than the connection from Caddy Hill area to Pipeline - is that pretty easy to find? Also, any tips on how to do a ride similar to what Bushwackerin posted - anything to add to that, do differently? So stoked to get up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    man, this all sounds sweet. I've been searching through Strava slowly trying to piece together these descriptions. It sounds like trails in Hinesburg are well marked so as long as I have a description and some sense of direction I will do OK? Regarding maps - does anyone know if I join Fellowship online will I have immediate access to downloadable maps, or is it the kind of deal where I have to buy paper versions?

How does the pay-to-ride systems work? Is there always some kind of kiosk or am I just dropping cash in to a box? What about Trapps - when I ride Pipeline/Adams Camp area, can I wonder onto Trapps? Not at all trying to dodge paying, just want to know what to expect.

Lastly (for now), how is Caddy Hill? I found a route on Strava that looks like it's mostly on the published maps other than the connection from Caddy Hill area to Pipeline - is that pretty easy to find? Also, any tips on how to do a ride similar to what Bushwackerin posted - anything to add to that, do differently? So stoked to get up there.
    I'm pretty sure that FOTW gives instant online access to their maps. They used to anyway.

Getting from Cady Hill to Trapps is pretty straightforward - everybody goes the same way pretty much. As long as you make the turn in the right spot you should be able to find it. I'm sure some Strava tracks will cover it as well. When you get to Trapps you can buy a day pass in the outdoor center.

mtbr member
    Almost 100 percent sure FOTW access is instant. Their email is info@fotwheel.org and they are pretty quick to respond. I don't think I'd want to do Hinesburg, Carse, or, Sleepy Hollow with out maps. They are fairly well marked, but these are large parcels of land with a lot of trail intersections. If you get off intended route at Hinesburg, you can end up pretty overwhelmed. I have the 3rd and 4th off and if the Mrs. doesn't come up with a plan soon, there will be some mountain biking for sure, probably in those areas. Like Dave said, there are so many trails. Even living here, I haven't touched half the stuff I've intended the last several summers. If you're going to be at Waterbury, hit the bike shops in Stowe and let them map some routes. You will be more than pleased, spend less time traveling, and not be overwhelmed with all of the options. Just my two cents, take it for what its worth. While we aren't at altitude, there are a lot of rocky, rooted climbs that will help set you up for Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Update: Well, Tuesday (6/25) I went out for a road ride after work and felt like crap. Got home, discovered I had a 103 temp, later diagnosed with Lyme. Got on Doxycycline ASAP but still suffered badly for 3-4 days, then got my strength back and was ready to ride. Delayed our camping trip and didn't get up there until Tuesday the 2nd. Almost literally got flooded out of our site that evening, great start. Really bummed I wasn't able to get on any of the local, killer trails described above, instead road my mountain bike on area dirt roads - around camels hump, bolton notch, cotton woods, even rode my mountain bike up bolton valley access road. Did a nice road ride over smuggs on the 5th. Each evening included a huge downpour. Considering i had been diagnosed with Lyme just days before and all trails were closed, I'm still pretty happy with the riding I got in. VT is awesome rain or shine! Speaking of which, is there any chance the festival next week will get postponed? What an unbelievable spring/summer it's been for you guys up there!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Speaking of which, is there any chance the festival next week will get postponed? What an unbelievable spring/summer it's been for you guys up there!!
    The festival is on. Ascutney Trails has not been getting as much rain this summer as northern Vermont. However, last Tuesday we got a typical month's worth of rain in 2 hours. That did major damage, including wiping out 5 bridges, and taking out a parking lot. Thanks to a massive effort by members of Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin, 90% is fixed, and the rest will be done by midweek. If the T-showers miss us this week, all will be 100% open in time for the festival. Worst case scenario looks like 20% may have to be closed.