mtbr member

Looking for a ride in the Rome, Maine area

I'm from new jersey and I'm going to be in the Rome, Belgrade lakes area of Maine the first week in august. I've been there quite a few times and every time I just stare at all of the wooded land surrounding the lake and curse myself for not looking into the riding in the area and leaving my bike at home. I'm willing to go a couple of hours either way from the area but there HAS to be some riding there. Anyone who lives and rides in the area or anywhere relatively near there please hit me up or let me know who I can get in touch with to ride with or any shops in the area. Thanks.
    "When life gives you lemons, I say F@#% the lemons and bail."

mtbr member
    Hi! I live in the Rome area. Yes, there is plenty of riding! There are miles and miles of trails in the Kennebec Highlands to explore. The local mnt bike group is having a group (Central Maine NEMBA) ride there tomorrow at 5:45. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you directions. If you can't make it, I would still be happy to give you directions to trailheads and ideas on where to go. One trail head is just down the road from me. I was out there riding tonight...almost hit a deer...with my bike.

mtbr member
    I apologize to the person who PMd me, I tried to send a PM but I don't have enough posts, so it wouldn't let me. I'll just post here. Sorry!

I would be happy to help. The best place to access the Kennebec Highlands is from the Roxy Rand rd in New Sharon, which is maybe 5 minutes from Belgrade Lakes. Going north on route 27 you will cross the New Sharon town line as you are going up a steep hill. Near the top of the hill there is a left hand turn on to Roxy Rand rd. There are only 3 houses on that road. There is a small parking area across from the last house. From here you can start riding down the dirt road. If you take a right at about 2 tenths of a mile in you will be on a snowbobile trail, which gets over grown in places. That will take you to another dirt road called the county road, which is fun to explore. If you go straiht out rixy rand road it will be a semi drivable road for a while. A mile in you go through the edge of a bog. You can keep going another mile, then come to an intersection. If you go left you stay on the maine Kennebec Highlands trail. That goes for a few miles. It's rather hilly and rocky. If you bear right at that interesction you will cross a stream, pass a pond called kidder pond, and after a while come to a blueberry field. This is my favorite ride. At the end of the blueberry field take a right. This will take you to more blueberry fields, and an uninhabited house. If you take trails through the fields you will come to the top of Vienna mountain, which is absolutely stunning.

The Highlands is mostly moderately technical, no single track, just double track. I'm happy to help more if you like.

If you are around tonight and want to go on the group ride we are meeting at 5:45, unless it storms. We're meeting near the Roxy Rand road. The parking area on the Roxy Rand rd is small, and we don't want to overwhelm it. Going up route 27 just over the New Sharon town line there is this weird western looking arch that says Hampshire Ridge. We're going to park near that. We're planning about 10 miles.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply

mtbr member
    Happy that my post could find someone else a ride but I still need someone to ride with when I'm up there the first week in August. The last thing I'm gonna do is go exploring trails in Maine alone. Ayone up for a ride that week?
    "When life gives you lemons, I say F@#% the lemons and bail."

mtbr member
    You can check the Central Maine NEMBA page on facebook that week to see if they have a group ride. Otherwise, feel free to contact me. My husband and I are out several times a week, and are always happy to have someone join.