Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Longest, most remote singletrack in New England?

I moved to Massachusetts from Colorado and haven't done much riding here yet.

What is the longest, most remote, uninterrupted singletrack that you can think of in New England? Are there any multi day trails around these parts?

I am willing to drive anywhere in New England to get to where I can find something like this and would appreciate any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Flagstaff lakes area???

A buddy and I were looking at doing a multi day ride up in the Flagstaff lakes area of Maine. I started to do some research (http://www.mainehuts.org/) but the plan is on hold with a knocked up wife and a dying mom.

Is anyone out there familiar with that trail system and have more info that what is on their website. Source of trail maps, camping info, etc?

mtbr member
    Remote and mtb specific is tough to come by. You either get a lot of great singletrack in a more populated or very mundane fireroads out there in the wilderness. That's the way things work in the northeast and the big difference between here and out west. That is what i actually like about it. Here you can ride in 20 different kick butt parks within 30 minutes of Boston (a major metropolitan area), within an hour probably 50 or more sets of top notch trails. Are there any within 30 minutes of Denver?

Remote, in comparison to CO, just isn't going to happen.

North Maine has tons of Jeep roads that you could get lost on for weeks. People will suggest checking out Kingdom Trails up in VT. Place has a lot of unique singletrack but is more like Ski scene with riders hanging out everywhere.

I think what you need to do is become acclimated to mountain biking in the northeast and not try to recreate the out west experience. I think there is a general misconception that the West has better trails then the NE but they don't, they just have a different style of trails. Get yourself on a bike and start hitting your local trails and take in the NE extremely technical terrain and you may be happier on a bike then ever. Also, we are just beginning Autumn and the leaves are about to change, that should be a cool scene for you to be a part of. I like riding a place before and after the leaves fall, it is pretty cool to see your daily trails take on an entirely different look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Remote and mtb specific is tough to come by. You either get a lot of great singletrack in a more populated or very mundane fireroads out there in the wilderness. That's the way things work in the northeast and the big difference between here and out west. That is what i actually like about it. Here you can ride in 20 different kick butt parks within 30 minutes of Boston (a major metropolitan area), within an hour probably 50 or more sets of top notch trails. Are there any within 30 minutes of Denver?

Remote, in comparison to CO, just isn't going to happen.

North Maine has tons of Jeep roads that you could get lost on for weeks. People will suggest checking out Kingdom Trails up in VT. Place has a lot of unique singletrack but is more like Ski scene with riders hanging out everywhere.

I think what you need to do is become acclimated to mountain biking in the northeast and not try to recreate the out west experience. I think there is a general misconception that the West has better trails then the NE but they don't, they just have a different style of trails. Get yourself on a bike and start hitting your local trails and take in the NE extremely technical terrain and you may be happier on a bike then ever. Also, we are just beginning Autumn and the leaves are about to change, that should be a cool scene for you to be a part of. I like riding a place before and after the leaves fall, it is pretty cool to see your daily trails take on an entirely different look.

defensive much?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    in the works:

http://xvtmbr.pbworks.com/

its not remote.
    its not all singletrack.
    a pair of tour divide racers from VT was working on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Multiday point to point rides are a neat idea for us New Englanders. Folks have asked about routes in the past on here. Our riding is either small networks packed tightly into a town forrest or state park, or discontinuous singletracks ducking in "behind the tree" and popping out on some other dirt road "next to the street sign", on private land and hard to connect without local knowledge. One place in VT that would be suitable for a multi day loop would be Hinesburg. From the northern tip of this network in Sleepy Hollow to the southern tip at Carse hill is not all that far, but it is laced with some great classic NE singletrack. There is lodging and maybe camping at sleepy hollow and you could definitely do a coupla days good riding there, mapped, easy to find. Some incredible woodlands. Massive sugar maples, wildlife, ect. This is New England Mountain biking. Hours and hours......and hours of it. Closer to home, the north shore of Mass offers some of the nicest, most challenging singletrack I've ridden in the East...again, hidden in plain site, and goes of for miles and miles....Look up Bill Woodson (woodyak) in the Mass forum, he's always up for a ride.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-22-2010 at 04:54 PM.

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer
    defensive much?
    Not really. I thought it was a great post.

mtbr member
    defensive much?
    That wasn't my point if that's how it came out. I have friends from CO that have learned to ride there and moved here and this is advice i've given them.

It was the OP's comments about 1) he hasn't ridden since moving here, 2) he's trying to find similar trails to those out in CO.

I'm suggesting he abandons all hope to recreate the CO experience here or he will never be happy. Last year, before moving to Maine i was heavily considering moving out west to CO or CA. I spent a good deal of time researching the MTB scene and decided that i prefer the abundance and variety of trails of NE compared to limited number of trials near Denver or Sacramento (the two places we were considering). Meanwhile the trials that are out there are amazing; you're really out there like the OP is looking for, the scenery is amazing, the many miles of uninterupted singletrack are great. The problem is you have to drive an hour + to get them, or you can live near one and have to drive an hour to get another.

If the OP tries to recreate that experience he will never be happy with the riding here and long for his old way of living. So i'm suggesting jumping right into the New England MTB scene. I don't know where he lives in particular but i'm sure he's near plenty of great trails because Mass is jam packed with trials. I know there are trails in Mass that you won't be able to find anywhere else.

Last month i had a friend visit from Boulder. He just got done traveling all over the US for a few months riding and hiking. I took him to Lynn Woods (a place i've only been a few times) and he said it was the craziest mountain bike trails he had seen during his travels.

We really don't have the type of wilderness that the OP is looking for because it doesn't even fit into the New England geography. We don't have cities and big towns in the middle of nowhere. We have big cities that are surrounded by suburbs and never ending towns beyond that. The most out there we have is up in Maine and there are no singletrack trails there because they are located so far from the people that would create them that it isn't feasible.

Obviously i'm not simply answering the OP's question. I'm trying to be real with the guy and suggest that maybe he looks at his expectations of biking differently. I'm also pointing out that while he gave up those long scenic singletracks of the West there are benefits to NE riding that he has yet to embrace. Hopefully he can.

Dude, you can actually do after work rides here and even choose where you want to do them.

Couloirman, where in Mass do you live?

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    You can do multi-day rides from south of Killington up through Pittsfield/Rochester to the Mad River Valley to Waterbury to Stowe to Morrisville and around Mansfield to the Brewster River area to Richmond to Hinesburg. It would require a lot of dirt roads to link networks. However, most of them are relatively remote, many in the Green Mountain National Forest, but this also leaves you with the option to drop into town too.

VMBA is working towards more access in the GMNF, which could include longer more remote singletracks. Keep the support up and we'll get there. Speaking of VMBA, PK will tell you that his favorite long rides in VT are in the MRV because of their remote feel.

John

p.s. I seem to remember a few trip reports from NH that featured some really long and remote trails, with hike-a-bike sections.
    Last edited by atkinson; 09-22-2010 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Not the way I took it

defensive much?
    I didn't take it that way. It was informative, but not defensive. Reading between the lines and not asking how it was meant before accusing is best. And I ought to know making that same mistake too many times to count.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    You can do multi-day rides from south of Killington up through Pittsfield/Rochester to the Mad River Valley to Waterbury to Stowe to Morrisville and around Mansfield to the Brewster River area to Richmond to Hinesburg. It would require a lot of dirt roads to link networks. However, most of them are relatively remote, many in the Green Mountain National Forest, but this also leaves you with the option to drop into town too.
    would love to see this sketched out in map form...

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    Get yourself a handy VT Gazeeter for the roads and look for map links on the individual clubs' websites. Someday, it'll all be on one map.

John

mtbr member
    [/QUOTE] People will suggest checking out Kingdom Trails up in VT. Place has a lot of unique singletrack but is more like Ski scene with riders hanging out everywhere. .[/QUOTE]

Truly one of the most irrelevant and ludicrous reviews of KT, I have ever read.

Who gives a ***** what everone else is doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave

Truly one of the most irrelevant and ludicrous reviews of KT, I have ever read.

Who gives a ***** what everone else is doing?
    I don't get why everybody is getting all uppidity about my post. The OP was looking for remote uninterrupted singletrack. KT has the singletrack, but not the remote feeling like CO riding does. You ask who cares, well i figured the OP would, seeing as it was in response to his question. I don't associate remote with hundreds of riders on the trails and around town. The fact that you some how take offense to that comment says more about you methinks.

I like KT. And i actually like that the place has a whole Apres Ski/MTB scene going on about it. I like meeting people on the trails too. So i guess i give an asterisk myself.

There are some weird people on these boards.

Black Lion
    Yikes
    rough thread.

Happy miles
    Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't get why everybody is getting all uppidity about my post. The OP was looking for remote uninterrupted singletrack. KT has the singletrack, but not the remote feeling like CO riding does. You ask who cares, well i figured the OP would, seeing as it was in response to his question. I don't associate remote with hundreds of riders on the trails and around town. The fact that you some how take offense to that comment says more about you methinks.

I like KT. And i actually like that the place has a whole Apres Ski/MTB scene going on about it. I like meeting people on the trails too. So i guess i give an asterisk myself.

There are some weird people on these boards.
    I am right with you brother. It is different types of riding here in NE, and if you don't get used to it, you won't be happy.

I think KT is awesome, but some people are very protective.

mtbr member
    This is not helpful at all, but that's never stopped me:

I was at an XC race in INDIANA one time. Kid rolls up after pre-riding, he's angry, and wants his entry fee back. Why? Kid says he's from COLORADO and we shouldn't make our courses so twisty, with small ups and downs. Why don't you make long, steady climbs like they have in COLORADO, he asks.

Uh, because INDIANA only has about 220 feet of elevation to work with, maybe. Hadn't he noticed?

Embrace what you've got to work with and life can be pretty enjoyable.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    No where did I ever talk bad about east coast riding. I was simply asking if there were any recs for long, remote rides. I in no way claimed CO superiority, and admitted that I havent even done any riding around these parts yet so I didnt know where the goods were to be had.

Just wanted to clear that up in case it wasnt clear. Thanks for the recommendations, and maybe Ill see some of you on the trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

fore-ums

hey coolyman, big hill with white awaits. we just need the white. 10k vert days to come once again. wanna join?

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13006

how'r you likin it here?

just a thought for a cool tour. the north/south trail in rhode island runs from the ocean to the mass border to the north. 75 miles of mixed terrain with some great singletrack. once in mass, connect to the m+m trail or mid state to new hampshire.

http://www.rigreenways.org/paths/nst-data.htm

rog
    Last edited by newmarketrog; 09-23-2010 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman
    No where did I ever talk bad about east coast riding. I was simply asking if there were any recs for long, remote rides. I in no way claimed CO superiority, and admitted that I havent even done any riding around these parts yet so I didnt know where the goods were to be had.

Just wanted to clear that up in case it wasnt clear. Thanks for the recommendations, and maybe Ill see some of you on the trails

In no way did come across as saying anything bad about east coast riding. I never implied you did, and i nobody else thinks you did. It was just giving you advice in an effort to make your stay more pleasant. Nothing confrontational was meant by it. If i came across another rider in your shoes at my local bar that would be the advice i would give him. I may have steered the point of the thread to a "enjoy what you got angle," but it was unintentional.

I highly suggest checking out some your local trails. Going for a ride around Boston is very easy. It's not a whole ordeal, you can pop out to about 5 different spots and get a good grueling ride in and be home in 3/4 hours. Bikerag.com has a pretty good trail review site with an interactive map so you can see what is nearby you. Most parks have maps through the park website. Other than Vancouver, i can't think of a better big city to live in for riding than Boston. The density of trails per square mile for a city environment is huge there

If you ever want to check out Southern Maine of Southeastern NH trails let me know.

mtbr member
    Not remote at all, but do people ride the bay circuit trail from park to park? Or even worse, end to end?

think
    Jul 2008
    To the OP: pm me if you want a tour of some great riding in southeastern NH.

Rog, what are you doing thursday nights? Sorry I haven't made it out with you guys. Been riding tuesday-thursday-weekend. Got ruined last night when my front tire burped mid-corner-downhill in the dark haha. Be good in a day or two.

Mar 2006
    Not remote at all, but do people ride the bay circuit trail from park to park? Or even worse, end to end?
    Would be nearly impossible, many sections of the trail are extremely overgrown. More popular sections are open but probably 50% of it is either a connector on a road through a town or a 50 ft long local cut-through.

the train keeps rollin
    OP

Here's a remote trail I've been meaning to ride The friends of wapack say no bikes, but it's been ridden many times by bikes, I doubt any trouble would come out of it. It's 20+ miles or burly trail, hike-a-bike in sections, very remote.

http://www.wapack.org/

http://kaempfer.pirate.ch/gallery/wapack08/

http://kaempfer.pirate.ch/gallery/wapack06/
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

thursday rides

Quote Originally Posted by bad news

Rog, what are you doing thursday nights? Sorry I haven't made it out with you guys. Been riding tuesday-thursday-weekend. Got ruined last night when my front tire burped mid-corner-downhill in the dark haha. Be good in a day or two.
    fort rock from a friends house in newfields at around 5pm. fun ride, quick pace. you'd dig it. ride on dirt right from his house.

come on up for the valley rally in n-con this sunday. i'll be leading 2 rides totalling close to 6 hours of riding at a quickish, but not torturous pace. 1st ride is at 9am from cranmore and will have a bunch of climbing/descending. lunch break. then a couple/few more hours on the west side at around 2pm followed by beers at the moat. we could carpool up if you wanna go.

sorry to hear about burpy tire. i still run tubes, so never have had that problem.

let me know

rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast