Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Leicester Hollow / Chandler Ridge

Hello Vermont! My wife and I will be in the Rutland area visting family next week/weekend and I'll get to fit in some rides. I've rode Pinehill before and it's fun, also looking forward to checking out Green Mountain trails. I'd also like to try Leister Hollow but I haven't found any info on directions, trail map, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Do you think it would be worthwile to try to make it to the Millstone grind while in town also? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mark439; 08-15-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Links

The links below should provide some helpful information. I'm a big fan of the Leicester Hollow/Chandler Ridge trails.

Moosalamoo National Forest We are the first to ride it.
    Green Mountain National Forest - Silver Lake Area
    mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the great info, can't wait to ride it!

mtbr member
    I would recommend parking at the minnie baker trail head. Take a left onto chandler ridge. Then back down on hollow trail. It will be 11 or 12 mile loop. Great ride!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks again, I was wondering if 1 way flows better than the other...sounds like I may try both. Sorry about the spelling...I saw it listed both ways but Leister was in the Bicycling mag article here...go figure! 3 days and counting...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have ridden it both ways and each time was challenging yet enjoyable. If I had to choose I would say that clockwise is the more difficult way to ride the loop.

There is a short section of the Chandler Ridge trail closest to the lake that I have found unrideable due to large rocks. Let me know if you can get through it without putting a foot down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone have a GPX of Leicester Hollow and the trails that skirt Sugar Hill reservoir shown in this map?

edit, Leicester Hollow seems straight forward enough. Would love to then connect to the trails that cross over to Brooks Rd.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In my opinion, clockwise is the way to go. Leicester Hollow is mostly downhill that way and has a fast-fun flow to it. Chandler Ridge is similar going either direction, but whichever way you ride it, you can't go wrong. It's a blast.

Just wanted to give a heads up too that there is an ultra running race (1/2 marathon and 36-miler) up there this Saturday with 100 runners, so it'll be pretty congested at times.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytvt View Post
    In my opinion, clockwise is the way to go. Leicester Hollow is mostly downhill that way and has a fast-fun flow to it. Chandler Ridge is similar going either direction, but whichever way you ride it, you can't go wrong. It's a blast.

Just wanted to give a heads up too that there is an ultra running race (1/2 marathon and 36-miler) up there this Saturday with 100 runners, so it'll be pretty congested at times.

Enjoy!

ugh. ultrarunning race?
    i need to get out of burlington while dodging the usa triathlon congestion, so i routed around that. now i'll need to work around runners.

might be there around 4pm. still congested by then?
    maybe i should aim for dusk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    how steep is minnie baker? i'll be riding rigid, with gear.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey bmike. I just called the race director for the 411. They're hitting Chandler Ridge at the 23 mile mark, so the first runners will arrive there at about 11:30 AM and the slowest runners will be going through until about 4:30-5:00.

The good news though is that by mi. 23, they'll be well spread out and I don't think there will be much traffic at 4:00. They're running it counter-clockwise, so if you ride it that direction, a mtb and runner will be going about the same speed through most sections so you really shouldn't have a problem.

As far as Minnie Baker, it's quite steep and loose in a few sections but is entirely rideable with gears. If you do have to H-A-B though, it's not very long (less than a mile), and it's only a few stretches where you may have to push.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytvt View Post
    Hey bmike. I just called the race director for the 411. They're hitting Chandler Ridge at the 23 mile mark, so the first runners will arrive there at about 11:30 AM and the slowest runners will be going through until about 4:30-5:00.

The good news though is that by mi. 23, they'll be well spread out and I don't think there will be much traffic at 4:00. They're running it counter-clockwise, so if you ride it that direction, a mtb and runner will be going about the same speed through most sections so you really shouldn't have a problem.

As far as Minnie Baker, it's quite steep and loose in a few sections but is entirely rideable with gears. If you do have to H-A-B though, it's not very long (less than a mile), and it's only a few stretches where you may have to push.

Have fun!
    thanks. just figured out similar by looking at their website, and doing some math.

i'm going through, so if they are going counter clockwise, i'll ride leicester hollow and follow them in. looks like they have 50 or so registered for the 36 miler. another 30 for the half marathon.

i should have stated, i'll be riding rigid, with gears, and gear.
    hoping to camp at silver lake, although that might be dashed if there is an event nearby.
    HAB is fine, for short stretches. just don't want to push a loaded bike forever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    how steep is minnie baker? i'll be riding rigid, with gear.
    The GPS on the minnie baker climb is 1.01 miles with 231 ft gained (4.3%). Its rocky, some what washed out double track.
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol79 View Post
    The GPS on the minnie baker climb is 1.01 miles with 231 ft gained (4.3%). Its rocky, some what washed out double track.
    thanks. do you have a GPX file to share?

mtbr member
    thanks. do you have a GPX file to share?
    Unfortuantely the mapping program I was using back then does not allow you to export the GPX file. But here is a link to some of the rides I've done there.

From Lana Falls
    iMapMyRide: Jul 28, 2011 02:38 PM in Salisbury, VT | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

From Silver Lake Road
    11.00 mile Touring Bike in Brandon on Jun 14, 2012 at 01:40 pm in Salisbury, VT | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

Minnie Baker Climb
    9.50 mile Road Cycling in Brandon on Apr 2, 2012 at 01:49 pm in Goshen, VT | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

From Fay Road
    11.08 mile Mountain Bike in Brandon on Jul 3, 2012 at 03:12 pm in Brandon, VT | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol79 View Post

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    gave this ride a try, real happy we did! it has everything i love, real backcountry, ridge top trail, swim holes and probably some of the best trail work i have ever seen. started at the falls of lana trail head, climbed the forest road and then rode the loop clock wise. on the way back down we stopped at the falls and took a swim. awesome

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I did an overnight here:

Bikepacking – Silver Lake and GMNF littlecircles

Good fun, although Chandler Ridge was pretty tough going counter clockwise from the campground. Overgeared, and carrying half of my kit after I dropped the tent and the bag at Silver Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow, having just ridden this on a 6" AM bike, I am really impressed that you attempted it and completed it on a drop bar rigid bike! Hard core. Great trip report, too! It makes me want to try bikepacking, and that area would be ideal. There certainly would be plenty of discrete and comfortable spots to camp off the trail if one wanted to avoid the amenities at Silver Lake.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice! Enjoyed your report, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Had a great time in riding in VT...surprised I hardly saw any other riders. Pinehill trails are always fun. Green Mountain was enjoyable as well. Nice climbing to the top, drop down the diamonds, and repeat. Finished up coming down Fusters with a huge smile. Day three made it to Moosalamoo. Climbed up Minnie Baker and took a left on Chandler, CW around the lake to Leicester Hollow, to Minnie Baker and then rode it all CCW back to the car. I definitely preferred LH CW, but think Chandler flowed better CCW. Either way, really nice trail that I will definitely hit again on my next trip. I rode it on a geared (1x10) FS 29'er and can honestly say rigid SS never jumped in to my mind as the bike of choice for the next go around! Thanks again for all the advice. Happy trails and I'd be glad to return the favor if you make it south to NC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rode these trails with a buddy today for the first time.

Parked at Minnie Baker and did Chandler Ridge too the Silver Lake Loop and back via Leicester Hollow. GPS app gave me a total climb of 2,000' over the course of the ride. Forgot to note the distance and didn't save the log.

Overall, I was super impressed. The work on Chandler Ridge and the parts of Leicester Hollow that saw new singletrack is amazing. The trails were a bit hard to follow since the leaves were falling and despite being a beautiful morning, we saw only one other person on the trails and the trailhead parking lot was empty. These same leaves also stepped the difficulty level up a notch or two.

Bottom-line, these trails are awesome, and extremely under-utilized.

I shot some POV video along the way. I'll be sure to post it here once I get a chance to go through it.
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll with Manitou Minute Super 140mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Very stoked to be moving to Salisbury VT in August. These trails will be in my back yard.

mtbr member
    Great location! Middlebury trails to the north. Pittsfield trails to the east. And of course Pine Hill Park to the south.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    How are the trails after all the rain last month? Thinking of heading up today.

Thanks
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast