mtbr member

Kingdom Trails vacation schedw/ kids for 7/14-7/19. Thinking of rescheduling, weather

Hey all. I was very excited to schedule my vacation time and make reservations to take my kids (12 and 15yo boys) to Kingdom Trails this year. I'm renting a cottage at Millbrook Cottages from 7/13 to 7/19. However, I live about an hour north of Philadelphia and have just been disgusted by the continued onslaught of tropical weather, both here and in VT. Now, I talked to someone at KT about it and they said the bad weather should end by then and the trails dry out quickly. I also know that it can be a fools errand to try and chase good weather in New England with your vacation. That said, my boss is cool about vacation requests and probably wouldn't care if I rescheduled my vaca a couple weeks or a month out (I get my kids week on/week off in the summer). So, for a bit there I thought this lousy weather would end this week but it seems to be doubling down on the rain and humidity. I know there's always a risk of inclement weather and 1 day of rain won't kill us but I don't want to spend the money and time if it's a week of 90% humidity, thunderstorms and mud, especially not if it can be avoided. Sorry if this seems like whining but, yes, I want this to be perfect. I would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It really does only takes a day or two for KTA to dry out. Darling Hill is one big gravel and sand pile dumped by a glacier thousands of years ago, the water just falls right through it.

mtbr member
    I am there right now and getting ready to head out for a ride. I will let you know how the trails are later.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Ducks for Moose
    ^^What Epic said. The forecast for the next several days looks to dry things out a bit with less than 40% chance of T'storms everyday from now to next Thursday. Conditions should be good by the time you get here if that forecast holds. You may still fond a muddy spot here or there but most of the rest of the trails should be good to go. The trails on the upper part of Burke Mtn may be the only questionable ones as far as being open. Those trails don't dry as quickly. I would say those have a 50-50 chance of being open by the 13th.

mtbr member
    Rode just about every trail on the Eastern side of Darling hill today(except east branch which is closed). Trails have drained well. Definitely some puddles with some water and mud but not too bad. Will likely do the western side tomorrow.

All KT trails on the mountain remain closed. I think the bike park was open today. I saw muddy bikes coming down from the mountain today.

mtbr member
    Thanks again. I'm just wondering if I would be better off putting my vac off 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    It really does only takes a day or two for KTA to dry out. Darling Hill is one big gravel and sand pile dumped by a glacier thousands of years ago, the water just falls right through it.
    Second Epic's comment......the Darling Hill side has been open in downpours on a few visits. There is good stuff to do locally if you take shorter rides.....Cabot Cheese Factory tour.....Louis Garnea Factory outlet visit......hiking above Lake Willouby....Kayaking the river. Go for it.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

backwoods and backwards
    I spent last week up there...If it's still an option I'd bump the two weeks and hope the weather changes. I might actually stay home this weekend.
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    ****. I just talked to the campground owner last night and it sounds like a front is expected for Friday which would bring cool, dry air in. This is killing me esp as I have an ex-wife to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    ****. I just talked to the campground owner last night and it sounds like a front is expected for Friday which would bring cool, dry air in. This is killing me esp as I have an ex-wife to deal with.
    What's the problem? Cool dry air is exactly what you want. This weekend and the extended forecast look great. Not sure I understand your stress.

BTW, I rode 5 days there from last wed. to Sunday. It rained at least once every day and most nights and the trails were about as good as you could expect for wet conditions. Some greasy spots and slippery roots but otherwise very nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode the bike park on Sunday and the conditions were unbelievably good. Literally one or two puddles on the entire lower burke trail system. We talked to some guys who had ridden Darling hill, and they reported that it was much better than they expected, minimal mud and mostly open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    What's the problem? Cool dry air is exactly what you want. This weekend and the extended forecast look great. Not sure I understand your stress.

BTW, I rode 5 days there from last wed. to Sunday. It rained at least once every day and most nights and the trails were about as good as you could expect for wet conditions. Some greasy spots and slippery roots but otherwise very nice.
    No, I agree with you. I looked at the forecast right after reading mojo's post and it does look really great for next week. I was just freaking out because I had decided to keep my week the way it was and then read that. I'm very, very excited. Thanks!

mtbr member

Kingdom Trails vacation schedw/ kids for 7/14-7/19. Thinking of rescheduling, w

Yup, great weather ahead!! Fingers crossed, for you and for me.

mtbr member
    I'm there right now, leaving today. We planned a week up here and focused it on KT. My kids are 7-9. It rained quite a bit but the last 2 days were beautiful. Trails are fine. Even on tbe rainy days we had a blast. The only day it was raining too much we went to Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory and the Rock of Ages granite quarry. We had a blast.

mtbr member

Staying at Lake Willoughby. Epic time!

mtbr member

Awesome spot over there. Enjoy the quiet of midweek, sooo nice midweek.

mtbr member

As a reminder I'm here with my 15 and 12 year old boys. Yesterday we did a bunch of stuff on the west side of Darling Hill Rd. Can anyone recommend anything, maybe 5-10 miles, flowy/fun on the east side? Thanks!

mtbr member

I've really been liking white school from town. Pond loops, out to the farm junk, swan dive, nose dive area.

Also just playing on the west side above vast is fun. Up Beat Bog, Sugarhouse run, leatherwood, pines. Bill magill up to heavens bench and down (left) Ridge, to Rim is good too.

mtbr member

Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Here is what I would do:

Start from town and ride up road to the VAST trail/new dirt road on left. Up Herbs and down Beat Bog. Next jump on Leatherwood. Take VAST South to Bill Magil. Take Heavens Bench to Ridge down. Vast to Culvert Cut to Vast. Next ride Jaw, Maxilla, down Cow path to East Branch. Back to Vast North to Sugar House to Kitchel. Up Herbs and do Kitchel again. Herbs back to town.

Riverwood can be fun but is very rooty.

Video of Kitchel
    YouTube

Video of Ridge
    YouTube

backwoods and backwards
    trillium-magill-moose-white school-farm junk-white school-pond loops (stay left to pete's pond and skip the gravel farm track climb) cross the street back on white school. You'll pop out of the woods just down the hill from the herbs/kitchel combo.
    Live the life you love!