mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Kingdom Trails : How technical ?

I'll be heading down to Vermont this summer and I'm questionning tires choices and bike set-up... I would like to know how technical are the trails compare to stuff like Vancouver's north shore, the sea to sky corridor and British Columbia interior, where I used to ride.

So, if someone has been to all those places, I would love to have their input on the tech level of KT.

I heard only good things about that place, can wait to go.

MC MasterShake
    I've never been to N. Vancouver, but I am planning a trip for the fall and I'm learning a great deal about the trails. It sounds like that stuff is way more technical than what you'll get at KT.

The mountain side can be fairly technical coming from the top. Only 1 trail begs for a big bike (Freeride Trail). The rest of it can be ridden with a 6x6 quite comfortably, i.e. no big drops or rollers. The upper mountain is often closed due to wet conditions. There's only 3 trails coming down from the top but they are fairly long and chunky. Personally, it's my favorite riding.

The lower mountain has lift riding now. I think there is 5 trails now. 3 are mid level techy stuff and the other 2 are machine built with tables, berms, kickers, etc. There are a couple of other lower mountain trails that aren't part of the lift system. One of them leads to the Darling Hill system.

The Darling Hill side is mostly fast flowy XC stuff with a good amount of pedaling involved, but no major climbs to speak of. This side is more popular as there are a lot of easier buffed out trails alongside some killer high speed flow lines.

Me and the buds go to KT at least a few times a year for long weekends. We camp and eat and guzzle at the local stops. After awhile you get to know the locals and you realize what a cool scene it is. Most of us only have 1 bike and it's in the beefier 6x6 range with 2.4 single ply tires. You can easily get away with a much lesser bike, especially on the Darling Hill side. If you shuttle properly you can ride all day long and have a car waiting for you at the bottom with a cooler. Now that the lifts are pushing bikes it gives you more options.

KT is sick. You're going to love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great, thanks for jumping in. I was thinking of bringing my 6x6 bike so I can ride pretty much everything. Sounds like a set of fast rolling tires as spare set might be a good idea for Darling Hills. I usually pedal with a 1X10 setup (34t front, 11-36 back). Is that a adequate option, or should I go for the 2X10 for extra insurrance for long and steep climb ?

PM me if you need info or cues on North Van trails

I'd Huck That....
    I havent been to kt yet but from what friends have said it's not that technical, more xc type riding but still fun. Another place to ride in VT is Millstone trails in Barre, VT. Check it out on line millstonetrails.com. Im headiing up to Millstone in June.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Great, thanks for jumping in. I was thinking of bringing my 6x6 bike so I can ride pretty much everything. Sounds like a set of fast rolling tires as spare set might be a good idea for Darling Hills. I usually pedal with a 1X10 setup (34t front, 11-36 back). Is that a adequate option, or should I go for the 2X10 for extra insurrance for long and steep climb ?

PM me if you need info or cues on North Van trails
    1x10 is fine. That's what I run on all my bikes now.

PM is on it's way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So there are two kinds of pedaling at KT. First, there is Burke mountain, a downhill, lift serviced venue. Then there are all the cross country trails. Some at and around burke mt, most across the river on both sides of darling hill. I bring my dual sus Kona Dawg (5x5) and my 29er hardtail. Both work fine. Be sure to check out our NEMBA fest June 22-24. 100 plus miles of trails.

Made to Shred

If you're in Vermont...

Take a day to check out Ascutney as well. I always have fun there. Just fast, fun, singletrack. Check it out.

I was more than comfortable all day with a 1x9 setup at Kingdom, but that's just me. 1x10 IMO should be plenty if that is what you are used to at Kingdom. Good riding at Kingdom, you'll have a blast. If you don't mind camping in a tent, Oregon Brook Road Camping is a nice hidden place I found. Almost always open if / when we make last minute plans. Owner is super friendly too. Not too far of a drive from the trail head either.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

customized
    Sep 2003
    Thanks 44 for that camping resource.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I camped at Brighton State Park (20 minutes up the road from East Burke) last fall. A bit farther than some other options, but isolated and uncrowded. Can get sites on the lake or off, bathrooms and showers are brand new and maybe the cleanest I've ever seen at a campground.