mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Horse Hill thanks you!

I'm assuming this was NEMBA, but thank you to whomever cleared most of the trails at Horse Hill in Merrimack. I ride there almost every day and I sure appreciate it! While I'm at it, thanks as well to whomever is responsible for the amazing new twisty trail (that I never would have found were it not for the leaf blowing) on Blodgett Hill!

mtbr member
    Several Southern NH NEMBA members live right in Merrimack and keep a lot of the stuff down there well manicured. Definitely some fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This seems like it was a concerted effort for a ride or something - I forgot to mention they put up green NEMBA trail marker signs around the same time but had them taken down by today.

Regardless, I really need to sign up, or at least donate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Where is this Horse Hill located--directions, advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Horse Hill has several parking lots; the one I use is 184 Amherst rd in Merrimack, which is exit 11 off RT 3. It's a 5 minutes ride from my front door so I use it almost daily, but it's also one of the best local rides I've hit IMHO. The loop trail is a nice 4 mile variation of single and double track with plenty of elevation changes and rocky rooty trails. The three trails up Horse Hill are also a nice variation of rocky and steep, though there's nothing here that's going to blow any serious/expert riders away. If you just to the loop trail I like doing it counter clockwise; when you do it in the other direction you save a longish stretch of really rocky uphill for the end of your ride.

My recommended ride - From the Amherst parking lot turn at post 2 for the Blodgett Hill Summit trail. After the foot bridge take a right for the brand new trail, which is a nice twisty route up Blotgett hill. From there go to post 16 to the ledges - I recommend the outer ledge trail - it's one of the prettiest rides and is more technical than the "inner" ledges, as well as a bit longer. Either way you come out at post 10 where you take a left, and then another left for the Twister trail, another great trail tailored to the mountain bike rider. You'll come out at post 18 and follow the loop trail until post 6 - here you would turn left, but instead go straight following the powerlines up a reasonably shallow but super rocky incline. When you reach the top of that rock (overlooking the powerlines and swamp on the other side) continue up the hill to the right back into the woods. This is Horse Hill. This path will lead you two one of two descents - I prefer staying straight to stay on the horse hill summit trail; it's a nice rocky and reasonably steep descent. At the bottom it's a hard right to pick up the Rocky Trail. The second choice is at post 15, a right that comes right after the summit - this is Horse Hill Summit East Slope, and is easily the steepest trail in the reserve, but not nearly as fun. Either way, you end up near the end of the Rocky Trail and enter a short section that used to be for dirt bikes; it's a fun little spot that has a little bit of a park feel. From there you can jump back onto the powerlines trail that will bring you back to the loop and take a left at post 6 (where you went straight before), or you can use a trail that's kind of hidden (again, thanks NEMBA) - it's right before you'd enter the powerlines area on your right, and if it isn't cleared you aren't likely to see it. The is another twisty bit of uphill single track that is ultimately more rewarding than the sandy uphill, and when it spits you out at the powerlines just ride straight across; you're now back on the loop. From here I generally just complete the loop - that's the longest ride/loop here I know of where you don't hit the same trail twice. If you want to pick up some of the loop trails you missed you can do the entire loop trail (or just go straight at post 4 to do most of it) for a 11 or so mile hero ride. Or what I'd call a hero ride, anyway.

the train keeps rollin
    Was blown clear for Halloween ride last Friday.
    beaver hunt

Tool
    NEMBA, the local chapter led by Matt Caron, is responsible for the trail maintenance and building at HH. Shawn Smith has also been helping Matt extensively. Kudos to these two and NEMBA.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Billy, Thanks for the Horse Hill trail info- on mapquest it looks like you also have riding nearby on Grater Road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    NEMBA, the local chapter led by Matt Caron, is responsible for the trail maintenance and building at HH. Shawn Smith has also been helping Matt extensively. Kudos to these two and NEMBA.

-Pete
    Thanks for the info, and a huge thanks to Shawn and Matt. I'll try to get more involved next year for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Billy, Thanks for the Horse Hill trail info- on mapquest it looks like you also have riding nearby on Grater Road.
    No sweat. Grater woods is nice, but smaller. You can actually ride straight there via the powerlines from Horse Hill, which is a nice ride in and of itself.

Edit - Scratch that - I've never been to Grater; Wasserman is the one I'm thinking of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup. Matt Caron does most of the work there but a lot of other people (including myself) contribute.

If you want to add some more miles you can take Quarry trail across Naticook road and do some of the trails there. There's a nice loop called 'Greens Pond Connector' (GPC)... and some other stuff in that area (Pipeline) that I haven't even ridden yet.

I live 15 minutes from HH. It's been getting better and better as time goes on thanks to the work people are doing there.

mtbr member
    It really is turning into a destination. Really nice to see and the hard work is sincerely appreciated by all users.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGirardin View Post
    Yup. Matt Caron does most of the work there but a lot of other people (including myself) contribute.

If you want to add some more miles you can take Quarry trail across Naticook road and do some of the trails there. There's a nice loop called 'Greens Pond Connector' (GPC)... and some other stuff in that area (Pipeline) that I haven't even ridden yet.

I live 15 minutes from HH. It's been getting better and better as time goes on thanks to the work people are doing there.
    I've hit the quarry trail, but I can't figure out the loop. It's definitely the rockiest area in the reserve, and I went about 75% OTB the only time I tried it. I'll have to explore it more at some point soon though.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    I recently added the HH trails to OpenCycleMap/OpenStreetMap and it is up to date with the latest trail work. You can view the map with your favorite smart phone app (Maprika works) while you ride to make sure you hit all the best trails. MTB trails are marked in blue but the bridle trails are fun too.
    OpenStreetMap

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Very cool, and as up-to-date a map as I've ever seen for HH. I haven't been in a while; my suspension is at Fox getting serviced. Can't wait to spend a day there, hopefully next weekend.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild