Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Hopefully not a KT Repeat...(GPX file needed)

So, I am headed to KT for the first time, just picked up MTB again, last fall, after 15 years away. I am an intermediate rider, but am looking for a long 15-25 mile loop route with as much fast, flowy, buff singletrack as possible, with great scenery too. I realize that it's probably impossible for a large loop to be all smooth fast singletrack, and I can handle climbs and some technical stuff, but I was looking for GPX and or TCX files of some of your best long majority fast, flowy, singletrack loop so I can import to my phone and follow along. If anyone has routes that generally fit this description please help. Can't wait to get out there!

Thanks,

Luke
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 08-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I recommend just saying exactly what you just said to the very friendly folks when you purchase your pass. They will gladly highlight a loop out on the map for you, tell you about each section (tech, climbs, etc.). That's been my experience anyway and I've had a few epic rides there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IF2004 View Post
    I recommend just saying exactly what you just said to the very friendly folks when you purchase your pass. They will gladly highlight a loop out on the map for you, tell you about each section (tech, climbs, etc.). That's been my experience anyway and I've had a few epic rides there.
    Thanks, I do plan on talking to them, but as I mentioned I'm looking for a GPX or TCX route to follow along with my phone.

mtbr member

Hopefully not a KT Repeat...

When are you going? I usually try to do 20 miles or so on Friday morning, I could GPS it for you this week if you'd like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    When are you going? I usually try to do 20 miles or so on Friday morning, I could GPS it for you this week if you'd like.
    I plan on riding Saturday morning, if the weather holds up. That would be great though!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Thanks, I do plan on talking to them, but as I mentioned I'm looking for a GPX or TCX route to follow along with my phone.
    This sounds interesting, can you explain how this works and what equipment you need? Thanks

mtbr member

Some Gps apps let you email the track to yourself, and it depends on the format it is saved in for someone to be able to use it. Motionx-gps saves in GPx, I think. Easiest is to make a strava loop and share it, do you use strava?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I use strava. But any gpx or tcx file can be uploaded on mapmyride's or runtastic's or every trails's website and then viewed on the phone in the app. There are many other apps that let you view routes as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also, I mount my iPhone on my handlebar, there are a variety of quality, sturdy mounts. Additionally, I connect via Bluetooth to a heart rate and speed/cadence sensor that feeds data to my phone. The results are awesome for me all around with this approach regarding data recorded and ability to follow routes. Runtastic and mapmyride even allow you to make your own route on their websites (which you can later view on your phone) that can closely resemble other routes or do something completely on your own. I've done it a few times now, for example at Lowell Stacey state forest last weekend. Worked great.

mtbr member
    Maprika is also a good tool for mapping and sharing a ride as it overlays the ride onto the actual trail map. Can also be used live to share actual position with friends.

mtbr member

I like maprika, but sometimes, at least at KT where there are so many trails so close together, that it sometimes places you on the wrong trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maprika seems good, but i would still prefer a gpx/tcx route from someone very familiar with the trails that can provide the file containing a good route w/ the most fast, flowy, smooth singletrack...anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I like maprika, but sometimes, at least at KT where there are so many trails so close together, that it sometimes places you on the wrong trail.
    Agreed. I think the problem here is that the KT map on Maprika is from a scanned image. I have contacted KT to get an electronic copy of their trail map just for this purpose but they were non-responsive. I do not understand why they do not provide an electronic map on their website. Not having a map will not prevent poachers.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Agreed. I think the problem here is that the KT map on Maprika is from a scanned image. I have contacted KT to get an electronic copy of their trail map just for this purpose but they were non-responsive. I do not understand why they do not provide an electronic map on their website. Not having a map will not prevent poachers.
    Actually, it probably does, because people do want a map there. It's not to say that poachers can't poach, but I would say more people don't because they want a map. But for that purpose, maprika does the trick anyway.

workin' it Administrator
    If you don't have anything to contribute don't there are plenty of other threads here on mtbr to troll in. Thank you.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    If you don't have anything to contribute don't there are plenty of other threads here on mtbr to troll in. Thank you.
    OOH THE MTBR PO PO. justice has been served! heh :-*

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks rockcrusher, now back to the task at hand, gpx/tcx for ~20 mile relatively fast flowy ST in KT anyone???

Ducks for Moose
    The trails drawn on the Kingdom Trails' paper map are very generalized (aka line simplification) versions of the actual trails.

Actually getting a good GPS trace for a lot of the trails is nearly impossible due to close switchbacks and dense forest canopy. Even if you could get a decent trace you would have to zoom in so close to see the switchback and fine detail, that it would hard to tell where you are. I have yet to see a good GPS trace come out of a ride there. Most of the time the traces have self intersections all over the place which would make retracing the route very difficult.

Why would you want to stare at a phone the entire time you are riding anyway? Just follow the advice above, go to the office and get a route highlighted on the hard copy map. Pull it out when you get lost

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did you not read the most recent post by rockcrusher, no one, including myself, cares for your opinion on whether or not to use gps device or how beneficial they are. I am looking for gpx/tcx files. I have seen plenty of great GPS traces so far from strava, everytrail, and others. And, once again, anyone who has used a GPS device knows that you can use it to guide your route very easily, for example, by stopping to look at it briefly at an intersection, rather than 'Why would you want to stare at a phone the entire time you are riding anyway'. Is the MTB world really this technologically challenged that I am getting all this push back bc I asked for route files.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you not read the most recent post by rockcrusher, no one, including myself, cares for your opinion on whether or not to use gps device or how beneficial they are. I am looking for gpx/tcx files. I have seen plenty of great GPS traces so far from strava, everytrail, and others. And, once again, anyone who has used a GPS device knows that you can use it to guide your route very easily, for example, by stopping to look at it briefly at an intersection, rather than 'Why would you want to stare at a phone the entire time you are riding anyway'. Is the MTB world really this technologically challenged that I am getting all this push back bc I asked for route files.
    i'm finding myself feeling less and less guilty about messing with you.

as others have said, the fine folk at kt will draw you out a lovely map. tape it to yer bars.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    i'm finding myself feeling less and less guilty about messing with you.

as others have said, the fine folk at kt will draw you out a lovely map. tape it to yer bars.

rog
    Rog you're not messing with me, you're wasting your time going out of your way TRYING to intentionally (and unsuccessfully) bother someone. If it makes you happy to try to prevent someone from obtaining an answer to a question they've asked in a mtb forum, that is fine, but I don't even think you're successfully doing that. If you only knew how much I love arguing with people like you, you may rethink your decision to 'mess' with me. I just don't want to distract people from posting what I want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rog you're not messing with me, you're wasting your time going out of your way TRYING to intentionally (and unsuccessfully) bother someone. If it makes you happy to try to prevent someone from obtaining an answer to a question they've asked in a mtb forum, that is fine, but I don't even think you're successfully doing that. If you only knew how much I love arguing with people like you, you may rethink your decision to 'mess' with me. I just don't want to distract people from posting what I want.
    thanx for the pm, btw.

rog

Ducks for Moose
    And I was trying to tell you that you are likely not going to find what you are looking for. I have tried to record a GPS trace while riding the Kingdom Trails. What I ended up with was a mess of self intersecting lines on most of the tight single track trails. Maybe I have a crap GPS unit, or maybe I'm a backwoods hick who doesn't know how to use modern technology? Either way, you obviously don't want to hear my input because it isn't the answer you wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    thanx for the pm, btw.

rog
    you're welcome? no one else needs to hear us go back and forth...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by from_the_nek View Post
    And I was trying to tell you that you are likely not going to find what you are looking for. I have tried to record a GPS trace while riding the Kingdom Trails. What I ended up with was a mess of self intersecting lines on most of the tight single track trails. Maybe I have a crap GPS unit, or maybe I'm a backwoods hick who doesn't know how to use modern technology? Either way, you obviously don't want to hear my input because it isn't the answer you wanted.
    I appreciate input but I am specifically looking for gpx/tcx files. I use them all over NE with great success no matter how tight the trails are. I have used them in many trail networks in small areas with miles of trails. I also have already received and reviewed many KT routes that look great. With the ability to overlay a route on a trail map I have no doubt that I will be able to follow along someone's route pretty closely. Maybe it's your GPS or just a lack of familiarity with how to successfully follow a route while riding, or maybe KT is even tighter than anything I have done and it won't work as I planned. Nonetheless I am still trying to receive guidance on what trails to ride, and hoping for that guidance to be in the form of a gpx/tcx file. Trail rec's are also welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast