Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005

Hinesburg Town Forest Conditions

Does anyone know the conditions at Hinesburg Town Forest right now? Earlier in the summer FOTW posted that there were a lot of down trees and the site hasn't been updated since.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Went Sat and it was dry and actually quite tacky. A tont of roots though.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    What about down trees? There were supposedly a lot of trails blocked earlier in the summer. I haven't been there at all this season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dude if there were trees on my endeavor I would a said something.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    FWIW, I rode yesterday and came across a few down trees. There were a couple down on Back Door, although it was definitely passable by getting off your bike. Nature Boy wasn't even passable about 100m into the trail.

mtbr member
    Nature Boy is closed for good. There are no plans to clear/rebuild it. That trail was obliterated last year.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I guess that's why the new map says RIP Nature Boy. I guess I should have brought that one with me instead of an old version. Still seems like they probably want to pull down the trail sign and take it off the map altogether.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've recently ridden some trails in htf. Just this past weekend I went up backdoor from lincoln hill, I don't remember seeing any downed trees that I couldn't ride over but it was pretty wet near the top so I didn't go further. Besides the ones that were decommissioned last year, the trails have been great, I think. Passing the horizon, dragons tail, maiden missing link, sheep thrills, and back door all look good. I think Carse is riding really well too - drier for sure.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    The downed tree on Back Door was about 500 meters into the trail from the HTF side of things. It was at about head height. I suppose if you were a bit smaller you could ride under it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ah right, now I remember that one. I was able to ride under going up, but not coming back down. Small one, If I head there again soon, I'll bring my hand saw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    On the Hayden Hill side of Backdoor there is a leaner that is getting a bit to low to ride under. Another similar at the top of Passing the Horizon. Other than that, pretty clear (have not been on Boneyard in a long while however).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I haven't ridden it in a couple of weeks, but the major blowdowns from earlier this summer on maiden, sheep thrills, and passing the horizon have all been cleared. That leaner on the Hayden side of backdoor is definitely getting low, but is still possible to ride under (although it is also a great excuse to give up on that biatch of a climb and walk a few feet if the conditions are at all wet, not that I would ever do that)

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    I haven't ridden it in a couple of weeks, but the major blowdowns from earlier this summer on maiden, sheep thrills, and passing the horizon have all been cleared. That leaner on the Hayden side of backdoor is definitely getting low, but is still possible to ride under (although it is also a great excuse to give up on that biatch of a climb and walk a few feet if the conditions are at all wet, not that I would ever do that)
    Clearly you're shorter than I am if you can fit under that thing. My seat barely fit under it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    Clearly you're shorter than I am if you can fit under that thing. My seat barely fit under it.
    It's been dropping. Two weeks ago I could ride under it, not anymore.