mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT

All-

I'd like to introduce you to Hard'ack Inc. Recreation Area and encourage you to visit with your mountain bikes. http://www.hardack.org/

Hard'ack is public land that includes a small ski hill and well over 100 acres of land. The all-volunteer Hard'ack board is encouraging the use of mountain biking on their existing and new trails. New mountain bike trails are being built as I write. It is located in St. Albans off Exit 19.

The area includes flats and a hill with 200+ feet of vertical drop. Existing trails include wide single track that's been there 100 years, skinny single track and brand new single track. Trails vary from fast and flowy to very techincal with roots, rocks and exposed bedrock and difficult climbs. Views of the northern Champlain Valley and the City of St. Albans below can be seen on the west side. There are enough trails to keep you busy for hours. Actual mileage is guestimated at 10-15+ miles.

There is talk of the creation of a VMBA club in the area and the interest and momentum is only increasing. There is no trail map at this time but it is in the works. A visit would simply include exploring the well-defined trails. Biking has been ongoing here for many, many years but in the last few years the trails have flourished.

If you want to visit, take Exit 19 off I-89, take a right onto VT 104. Travel straight through the next stoplight. Just after the State Police Barracks is Congress Street on your left. Turn onto Congress and the entrance to Hard'ack is right there. I recommend that you park outside the gate and ride in. Access the trails via the ski hill: on the left under the rope tow, at the very top of the ski slope or the right side of the ski slope.

As I said, many miles are in front of you. Some trails go behind people's homes. Please be respectful of the neighbors.

The St. Albans Recreation Department is currently holding Monday night time trials at Hard'ack. I attended for the first time last week. It was a great opportunity to ride at a race pace in a friendly environment. I suggest that racers and non-racers alike participate to put on some miles and also see what Hard'ack is all about. Drive right in during events as the gate will remain open.

Hard'ack, Inc. is actively encouraging the development of a great mountain bike area among other uses. The volunteers have created some fantastic trails. Access is free. It is a great spot to bike and with more interest it can only get better.

I am not affiliated with Hard'ack Inc, but have permission to post this message. Please reply to this post or PM me for more info.

NW_Vermont
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hope to see you out there soon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great place to ride. We used to push our Stingray's up and bomb them back down. Still have the scars to show for it.

There is another access off of High St next to the old Warner Home but there is no parking there. This access gets you to the trails without having to hump up the ski trail.

There are a few unofficial accesses too but those shall remain secret.

Awesome resource for kids of all ages in the St Albans area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here are a few photos from this mornings ride at Hard'ack. Didn't get any snaps of the new trails on the lower east side where the time trials take place. I know NW_Vt has some nice snaps of the views on one of his posts. It might not be KT but the trailhead is right outside my door>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa180009.jpg  

Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa180012.jpg  

Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa180010.jpg  

Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa180011.jpg  

Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa180014.jpg  

Hard'ack Recreation Area, St. Albans, VT-pa190027.jpg  

Last edited by Fat & Hairy; 10-19-2009 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice!
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    I gotta go just for the view.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The new Franklin County Mountain Bike Club is holding their first annual Mountain Bike Festival this coming Saturday, June 23rd. This would be an excellent opportunity for anybody to come see what Hard'ack has to offer!

FCMTBC has a Facebook page and a website. Look them up!
    2004 GF Cake 2DLX

mtbr member
    Good to know! My wife is from St Albans and her mother is now living in Swanton. If I am not golfing wouldn't mind giving this a try. Just have to figure how I am gong to bring the bike up! Very nice!!!

mtbr member
    Any updates on this area? New trails? Looks great!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This past summer Hard'ack added a pump track designed and built by Brooke Schatchard of Sinuosity Designs. You can find a video on You Tube under Hardack Pump Track uploaded by Bikes on Snow. Unfortunately MTBR won't allow us to post a link because we have a post count of less than 10

mtbr member
    Here's the link to my video. Hardack Vermont Pump Track - YouTube

They've got a good thing going up there. Just need more riders to get involved.

Brooke
    In the summer I build trails: www.sinuosity.net
    In the winter I build these: www.fatbikeskis.com

Members who have read this thread: 0