Go Bruins!

Hampstead Trail System

I've been poking around the Hampstead trail system and I gotta give props to the guys out there building trails. I've been about half dozen times and I keep finding new singletrack. Not all of it is easy to get to and you have to be willing to climb to find the goods in a lot of areas, but there are some nice rides out there. Found some flow between hemlock heights and governors island. Found some technical and some climbing and a mini mighty chicken run across west road near rt 111. There is a lot more in the logged conservation area as well. A fun place to explore.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Sounds like u are finding your way to the goods..we put alot of time out there working, when we r not riding... a few of us are always up for giving a tour.
    wed night under the lights till it snows
    i do have maps, but kinda takes the old school adventure out of it haha
    pm me with any questions

Go Bruins!
    Yeah, good stuff out there. I have to meet for a ride sometime,but I don't have a light yet for night rides. I'd like to learn what I missed and figure out the proper flow for that place. That spot near 111 with some newer lines has some killer climbs. Thanks for the hard work you guys do. With that place having so little traffic(compared to say fort rock), all the track is so nice and and thin.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    SOunds fun...is there enough trail to warrant a drive there from portsmouth on a precious and rare day off (bypassing exeter, bear brook, willowdale etc)? Love exploring new stuff.
    I saw the "Hampstead conseration trails" review in the trail review section is that the right area? Thanks a bunch, Andy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcandy View Post
    SOunds fun...is there enough trail to warrant a drive there from portsmouth on a precious and rare day off (bypassing exeter, bear brook, willowdale etc)? Love exploring new stuff.
    I saw the "Hampstead conseration trails" review in the trail review section is that the right area? Thanks a bunch, Andy
    yes it's the right area, but there are 2 different areas, western and eastern.the section we are refering to is western, off of the west rd. parking lot. there are maps avaliable by going to hampstead conservations web site. the problem with the map, although accurate, is that it shows everything, old logging roads,overgrown unused trails, and because of recent logging some trails are not passable. the trails are not clearly marked with names, blazes, ect. recent leaf fall will make hard to find and follow some of trails. so to answer your question, without someone to show you around you may feel that you have wasted your time. we ride wed night at 6:00, but i am available to ride just about any time.pm me or pitch crew. happy to show you around

see me rollin, they hatin
    i've been there multiple times, but i'm always following somebody. are there any good maps out there? there's no way i could go alone at this point

mtbr member
    nicole i have maps, and we'd never make ya go alone haha
    im biased but id say plenty of trail for you, we regularly do 10- 12 miles but have done as much as 17 without hitting everything. its pretty rugged,as in no place to just spin and add mileage
    almost all trails are made to ride in both directions so every ride we can change things up, the technical side over by 111 there are prefered ways up and down
    Last edited by PitchCrew; 10-20-2011 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    @PitchCrew: are the trails here similar to Fomba?

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fda47 View Post
    @PitchCrew: are the trails here similar to Fomba?
    no..closer to fort rock minus the rock but the climbs are often more sustained imo
    if we can lets get a noob (to hampstead) ride going for a nice dry weekend. by the looks of things sunday should be good or the following weekend. ill get some ppl and we can do the tour

mtbr member
    Fort Rock minus the rocks sounds good.

A noob ride next weekend would be awesome. Taking advantage of the nice weather this weekend so heading up to KT or if not, to the charity ride at Robinson SP.

The mtb club at my son's school (Pinkerton in Derry) has been to the Hampstead trails but we missed it so hopefully we can ride with the group to see the goods

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i've been there multiple times, but i'm always following somebody. are there any good maps out there? there's no way i could go alone at this point
    you can get maps if you google hampstead conservation trails. there are a couple of pdf's. one from the town of hampstead and one from stonestructures.org. [wont let me post direct links because i dont have 10 posts] stonestrucures shows you how to get to the 111 side from the parking area on west rd.still you are better off riding with someone that knows the trails.

see me rollin, they hatin
    seems like i stumble upon newish trails now and then (there was that new one that drops super steep for a second, then blasts back up steep) that i cant imagine has made it onto a map yet. maybe i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    not all trails are on the maps. dont know if talking about the one close to shop pond or the one near the 111 side, but no some of the trails are brand new and not on the map. none of trails near 111 are on the maps as this is in atkinson not hampstead. that area is easily figured out, only 28 acres, but has more bike specific, technical trails. keep in mind that "hampstead" trails does not work like other trail systems,formba,nemba, state parks. trails come and go, get rerouted due to logging. some are on private land and they sell and build.maps are not updated every year, not all blazes, trail signs are replaced, or ever existed. this is all part of the adventure of riding there. some trail systems have taken that aspect away. the maps are a good starting point to show you the different sections, roads, ect. if you dont have the time to explore or get "lost",[hard to get really lost] myself or pitch crew will be more than happy to show you or anybody around. after a few times you should be able to put in a good ride with out help.