mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Hampshire 100 - any takers?

Just signed up for it, hoping it's a better (and drier) trail than last year's VT50. Am wondering if any others will ride the race this year.

I understand it's not half as popular at the VT50. Would appreciate any feedback on trail conditions.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wow! signing up early! nice thing about the 100 is that you don't have to sign up early as it doesn't fill up. the time i did it i just showed up once i saw the weather was gonna be nice. that race would suck to do in the rain. course is a mixed bag of all kinds of $hit. less climbing than vt 50 fer sure, but a bit more gritty backwoodsy feel. the 1st 20 mi or so will trick you into going out too hard. then the fun begins and many folks fall apart quickly.

will i do it this year? won't know till a week out.

rog

Made to Shred

Trail Conditions

I have not done it (considering it this year though), but know a bunch who have. I ride regularly in the area where it starts & finishes (Greenfield, NH) - my shop is just up the road from Greenfield in Lyndeborough so I can speak to that sections trail conditions.

In August the trails are in pretty good shape but really depends if the summer has been a wet one or not. One caveat is that if we do have heat & humidity... it's normally in August. Depending on how wet the summer is can dictate what the bug population is which is something to consider. For what it is worth, IMO the trails at the end where the race course has normally run are not technical in my book. But that may be a different story when you're spent and so close to the end so take that with a grain of salt! The GTA (Greenfield Trails Association) regularly maintains the trails in this area and they are well loved/maintained. That area has a lot of anaerobic type short climbs, rolling singletrack and tight twisties. My hat goes off to that group, they really put a lot of effort into their trail network and it shows when you ride the trails. I know they offer support for the event too which is great.

But speaking with friends who have ridden it, "newmarketrog" is correct: the first 20 miles will trick you that it's a sandbag route.

Good luck!
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    in 08' it was wet. wet enough that a bridge was out adding like 3 miles to the course. some of the fireroad low areas were thigh deep ponds. when yer at an aid station at mile 47 and you realize that you still have 19 miles (the length of most norba expert races) of some of the most hilly/techy left to go at race pace, you'll wish you soft pedal'd that 1st 20 miles and stopped at a few aid stations for minutes at a time. glad i did. $hit, giving secrets away

one of the better races in NE imo. those greenfield trails kick @ss. did a ride with james and crew one night and got a nice tour.

rog

Got A Lust for Life...
    I'm pretty sure I'm riding it. I hope it rains that day. And 60 degrees.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Registered for the 100mi......Can't wait

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm registered and a first timer to the Hampshire 100. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Signed up and trying it for the first time this year.

Gig'em Aggies!
    Looking to do this race as well (100k portion). Having never raced before, is this a beginner friendly race (i.e. quite a few other beginners there as well)? I will be riding a Trek Cobia 29er and have about 2 years of experience (riding in Monterey, CA). Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    curious about this event.

rigid?
    front sus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kray View Post
    Looking to do this race as well (100k portion). Having never raced before, is this a beginner friendly race (i.e. quite a few other beginners there as well)? I will be riding a Trek Cobia 29er and have about 2 years of experience (riding in Monterey, CA). Thanks for any advice.
    I don't have any personal experience with the race but I have friends who have done it a couple of times (who talked me into doing it with them this year.) They tell me that people's ability levels range from beginners to pro and that it's pretty laid back.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggledan View Post
    Signed up and trying it for the first time this year.
    Do it!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    curious about this event.

rigid?
    front sus?
    i went full rigid 29er with 8 speed setup. i ran a 34t chainring and an 11-30t cassette.

twas geared high nuff for any fast/flat sections and low nuff for most climbs without being so low that i'd go slower that if i ran some climbs, which i do much faster.

rigid's always good

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    i went full rigid 29er with 8 speed setup. i ran a 34t chainring and an 11-30t cassette.

twas geared high nuff for any fast/flat sections and low nuff for most climbs without being so low that i'd go slower that if i ran some climbs, which i do much faster.

rigid's always good

rog
    thanks.
    hmmmm...

fargo or pugs. don't think i'll talk the wife into another bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by overmodulated View Post
    Just signed up for it, hoping it's a better (and drier) trail than last year's VT50. Am wondering if any others will ride the race this year.

I understand it's not half as popular at the VT50. Would appreciate any feedback on trail conditions.

Thanks!
    Anyone have any update on the likely trail conditions, looks like it rained overnight- how bad was it? I'm traveling 250 miles for this.

Made to Shred

Trail Conditions

Greenfield is my backyard. Trails were in great shape this past week and last night's rain was not heavy. Before we got all the rain we did, it was pretty dry and most small creeks had gone dry or the larger ones were very low. The trails typically drain well in and around Greenfield with a few spots that are naturally just where the water settles (few and far between). It's slight over cast now and the sun appears to be attempting to come out. They had called for early showers with it starting to clear by the end of the day. Sunday (race day) reads about the same but the chance of rain is lower on sunday morning.

I'll be at the info/registration tent saturday ~2-6pm so swing by and say hello!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortyfour View Post
    Greenfield is my backyard. Trails were in great shape this past week and last night's rain was not heavy. Before we got all the rain we did, it was pretty dry and most small creeks had gone dry or the larger ones were very low. The trails typically drain well in and around Greenfield with a few spots that are naturally just where the water settles (few and far between). It's slight over cast now and the sun appears to be attempting to come out. They had called for early showers with it starting to clear by the end of the day. Sunday (race day) reads about the same but the chance of rain is lower on sunday morning.

I'll be at the info/registration tent saturday ~2-6pm so swing by and say hello!
    Thanks for the update, I'll be sure to say Hi.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post Fortyfour! We be coming down from Dover, NH later today to pick up my reg. packet and staying in Amherst at family overnight. Plan on getting there Sunday morning around 5:45am to sign in and begin warm-up. While working in Amherst the past couple of weeks I was able to spin out a couple 40 milers on the road up over Mt Vernon and into Weare...hope it helps me out as this is my 1st time at the 100! I have done the VT50 three times since 08, but was getting tired of dodging the runners in the latter 1/2 of the race. Really looking forward to this one, as it's been a dry summer and good lately, so the trails should be sweet. Also, they have provided an excellent breakdown and course description...should be fast but loooong...62 miles....ouch.
    Good luck to ALL!!
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

unpossibles
    Subscribed, I'd love to hear more feedback on this race from the first-timers. I'm thinking about doing the 100k next year

see me rollin, they hatin
    well, my boyfriend just did it. he said some of the climbs were so impossible that even the pros were walking them, and there was a ton of climbing. It was also slick at times, due to the earlier rain. Its grueling, so eat your wheaties
    fap

Made to Shred

Elevation Gain

The race boasts something like 8000 feet of elevation gain. The climbs are not give aways and many are not prepared for what NH is going to serve them out on the trail. The course sounded like a lot of fun and people I spoke with crossing the finish line were tired but stoked. I was busy with race support on sat. and an open shop on sunday. Like many have said though, the race is well supported and the organizers do a great job. The local trail crew (Greenfield Trail Association) are a great spirited group who have a ton of commitment to keep the trails in great shape and make the race a great event. Perhaps I'll take part in the race one of these years (there's been a lot of arm twisting lately). Thanks to all who stopped in and said hello on saturday as it was great to put many names to faces finally. I'll be there next year for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I did the 100 mile this year. Not as much climbing as other NUE series events but this race feels like the whole thing is uphill. The first 10 - 15 miles are mostly downhill on dirt so it was easy to overdo it. For a 100 mile event this has a lot of singletrack to it.

For those on the fence, do it next year. There are some fantastic sections of trail if you are into the rocky, rooty New England singletrack. The course is brutal but a lot of fun, this has become my favorite race after the Mohican 100.