Thread: FUNgus.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003

FUNgus.

Holy crap are the mushrooms prolific this year. Everywhere you look, great harvests of edibles, a few deadlies and lots of interesting ones. I've never seen so many fruiting at once.

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Conditions are prime right now for that huh...huge ones at my place. I don't know which are the "eaters" otherwise it'd be a feast!

mtbr member
    In between cutting my grass, a huge outcropping appeared in my front yard. When I went to clean it up I filled an entire kitchen sized trash bag. They were 6" inches in diameter. Must have been 30lbs of mushroom. I didn't dare eat them though...went right into the trash.

mtbr member
    Watch your puppies with these shrooms. Many cause liver failure. In laws dog had some yellow eyes and an iv last week.

stoneblender
    Sep 2003
    No doubt, dogs, kids and overly confident adults are not always discriminating enough to know the good ones. It's funny how our culture tends toward fear of fungi though, when there are many more plants that are poisonous/ deadly. We just are more familiar with plants.

The ones in your lawn may be benefitting the grass, fungi often work as symbiots and/or saprophytes, freeing nutrients for plants to grow. You can compost them really quickly too.

There are some great mushroom ID websites and several guide books. The Audubon version is my go-to one, but I have others for backup. If I am not 110% certain of the ID of a potential edible, it gets chucked. There are also edible species that I tend to avoid, because of too many or the wrong kind of look-alikes.

Nobody has ever died from looking at them and the variety right now is astounding. If you want to learn more, I lead mushroom walks and dinnners in the summer and fall at Sugarbush. Enjoy!

John

Eat More Dirt
    Yay for fungi!

This is my first fall in the NE and I have been thoroughly impressed with the fungal action.

cranktankerous Mainer
    shrooms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FUNgus.-fungus.jpg  

Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball