mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Good job! Franklin Falls Dam -today 11/16

As good as it gets today--perfect tread, 60 degrees, blue skies, a few leaves after the leaf blowing but 80+% leaf free. Very few riders for such a nice day. Spaulding woods tomorrow-should be really good on the downhills. Squirrel the Disco Donkey!
    Last edited by damnation; 11-17-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: bad spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Spaulding woods today before the heavy drizzle just before noon--about 1 1/2 hours. Ran into first timers here, from NH, they did the works and were heading for Highlands XC, next that day. There is at least 50-60 miles of dedicated MTB trails within 15 miles of Franklin, NH. And most relatively new, which means not beaten to death like KT. Lots of variety including lakeside , pondside, high hills, floodplain, old farms....all built for mountain bikers!!!....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Dam-excellent conditions--new bridge over the "Grand Canyon' - the most terrifying Plank east of the Rockies....Gone.. At least now you can fall 2 feet to your death!! See attached...this must be a span equal to rainbow bridge,,220 feet, at least 70 above the ground...
    Last edited by damnation; 11-22-2013 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It got better!!. A little colder, 20's, but frozen tread. Two inches of rain was sucked down by the Franklin sponge, and then it flash froze, leaving a surface like frozen Styrofoam. Like riding a theme park--just let it rip, don't sweat the corners...fast..!!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    The Dam-excellent conditions--new bridge over the "Grand Canyon' - the most terrifying Plank east of the Rockies....Gone.. At least now you can fall 2 feet to your death!! See attached...this must be a span equal to rainbow bridge,,220 feet, at least 70 above the ground...
    Is there a photo that is not showing up on my screen? Because I have no idea what your post means...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Radair, You are right, there is a picture missing--seems I am challenged at uploading the bridge pic. If you have been to Franklin you may remember that on Whaleback there was a PLANK- about a 10"x 4' --which spanned a small channel/stream that runs between Upper and Lower "Whaleback" ponds. Seriously only a 2 foot span, but intimidating for those not use to such a thing--hence the "grand canyon". If you did come off it was still a nasty fall and likely to hurt you and your bike. Anyway, it has been replaced by a beautiful arched span--which I am guessing is about 6' long and 14" wide. Now rising about 2 feet above the torrent! I did get a little carried away comparing it to Rainbow Bridge, but hey, you should have seen the size of that trout I caught in those rushing waters!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I meant to say

Three weekends in a row of "it doesn't get any better than this!--Frozen Styrofoam with no mud, miniscule ice, a trace of snow-almost none. I'll bet the best tread of the season!!. Of course tomorrow it will get snow, sleet, freezing rain and that might be it for me, for this year....now only 50 days of XC and Backcountry skiing to do...Happy Sledding...Santa on a Fat Bike
    ...I mean Fat Santa on A Bike!! Happy Holidays
    Last edited by damnation; 12-09-2013 at 02:18 PM.