RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fort Rock singlespeeders.....

What is a good gear combo to run out here? I'm looking to pick one up and want to get the right gear combo, or close to it. I ride out here 90% of the time, so I'm looking to set it up for out here. Oh, it will be a 29'r too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Of course the final choice will depend on things like riding style and fitness level. But assuming you have a 32t chainring, then 32x20 is a great place to start. If not then use a gear calculator to find an equivalent gear. You can pick up 3 or 4 cheap cogs (Dimension is one brand and I think they are like $5) to see what you like. I ride Ft Rock a lot too and I think I started out with 32x21 then went 32x20 after I got stronger. For faster and/or less technical places 32x18 seems nice since you won't spin out so soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My 29er is a 33/20. But I find that there are some areas at FR that I can't attack with that gearing. I'm sure that is a result of a combination of the terrain and my abilities, but that gear combo works pretty well for me at most of the area trails like FOMBA, bear brook, the marsh, Mt. A.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was thinking 32/20 would be a good place to start. I want to get a white ind freewheel, but don't want to buy more than I need. They're a bit pricey.

Now surly just has to come off backorder.

think
    Jul 2008
    I used to run 32x20 on a 26" wheel in fort rock and there were very few sections I would spin out (mostly the sled trails or the far end of blt). On the other hand, I could get up anything. I would probably start with 32x20, but I wouldn't be afraid to go shorter if need be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride there with a 32x18 on my 29r, it seems pretty good. There is def. some stuff on Zilla that I walk up but it is a good compromise to not spinning out in other sections. Also, the fact is I may be walking that stuff on a geared bike.

Paste eater
    used to ride a 32-19. I think 32-20 might be better for some of the tech/rock/steep climbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    34x21. Lower than I traditionally run, but the lower gear allows for fun in the tech.

Back on the wagon
    Used to ride 32:18 on a 26er, seemed to work very well out there. In the past few years, I've gotten old and fat, and now I like my 32:19. The cool thing about a SS is that you pick a gear and adapt. Whatever you get will work out fine.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.