Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tool

FOMBA Slalom? [oo]<

FOMBA Slalom from Pete Burant on Vimeo.

Does anyone have any info on Dave Saliba? He is the man for whom there is a memorial on this trail. I wasn't able to find anything with a casual google search, but I'd really like to know the story.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Go Bruins!
    Hey Pete, The last couple of videos are nice. I just found all those trails out there on either side of depot road. There must be four brand new trails at least that I found. Tick, Ape and a couple others are still soft and new, but getting better. There's still more out there that I don't know about. I have to find the rest out there soon.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure I've hit all the new stuff out there, that slalom is after tick an dumps you back onto.... shoot, can't remember the road by the swamp an then you take a right a 100ft down back onto the trail by the gate. some are REALLY soft.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Black Lion
    another good one
    Voltron

the train keeps rollin
    take it from G, he has Rep Power!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. gonna have to keep an eye out for the new trails now

Tool
    Thanks, All!

Dave, if you know about 4-mile Trail, then you might be aware of everything I know out there. If you think the trails are soft now, you should have been on them back in early May when I first found them!
    Last edited by Pedalphile; 06-23-2011 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    yeah, that's the exact loop I did in the rain a couple weeks ago, those trails would be alot more fun when dry. Not the best trails out there, but for fomba it's about as good as it gets.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by fda47; 06-24-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Heeding the STFU :)

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

beer thief
    Nice vid & info but if these trails are not authorized spraying about them on the 'net is a bad idea. Maybe they're all legit but if not STFU.

Tool
    Good point, Rob. Info removed. I'm unsure of the status of the trails; I just know I'm enjoying them and am grateful to the strangers who pointed me towards them this spring.

the train keeps rollin
    delete
    Last edited by snowdrifter; 06-29-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    As an FYI for people that have always lived in the area; there are places in america where mountain bikers are much more friendly about sharing trail info. Moving here has been eye opening in that regard. I obide by your rules, but don't like the feel of it.

The largest effect of not sharing info on the web is to prevent strangers from going to your trails and experiencing them for themselves. This should not be anyones goal.

I know the stated reasons are to not cause trouble with local authorities or whistle blowers, but i don't buy that being the main reason people are hush hush.

If saying that makes me a jerk; well someday you will meet me in person and you won't think i'm a jerk. And then you'll maybe get to know me, and think i'm a jerk again.

Until then, enjoy your trails.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post

I know the stated reasons are to not cause trouble with local authorities or whistle blowers, but i don't buy that being the main reason people are hush hush.

So what is the reason then?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    So what is the reason then?
    What i think is that people want "their" trails to themselves and their group of peers and they don't want them "ruined" by outsiders. Not describing to random people how to get to the goods and offering tours only is another form of control. I'm sure people that do tours of secret trails get some sort of self gratification, which may or may not be the real intention.

I feel that if you feel this way you should just not say anything. What is annoying for others is hearing or reading about something and then a bunch of people sweeping it under the carpet.

I don't want to start a flame war. I'm merely saying what it appears like to me having lived and been a part of a mtb community elsewhere.

I don't sense an overall friendly vibe from the boards here. From my limited knowledge of biking and trails in the area i will help people with info if i can. It would be nice if that was the vibe of the boards.

Black Lion
    What i think is that people want "their" trails to themselves and their group of peers and they don't want them "ruined" by outsiders. Not describing to random people how to get to the goods and offering tours only is another form of control. I'm sure people that do tours of secret trails get some sort of self gratification, which may or may not be the real intention.

I feel that if you feel this way you should just not say anything. What is annoying for others is hearing or reading about something and then a bunch of people sweeping it under the carpet.

I don't want to start a flame war. I'm merely saying what it appears like to me having lived and been a part of a mtb community elsewhere.

I don't sense an overall friendly vibe from the boards here. From my limited knowledge of biking and trails in the area i will help people with info if i can. It would be nice if that was the vibe of the boards.
    well put.
    I call it trail hoarding and hate it too, but its not going to change around here.
    Voltron

the train keeps rollin
    If you ride an area enough, you will find the goods.

The UPS guy showed me the 4 mile trail.

YoG finds every new slice at LW & HP, he's there more than the buttbumpers.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks sweet... I will have to go find this...

Tool
    I hope I can help change that perception (at least a little). As you can see from this thread, I had at one point provided full info for finding all the lesser-known trails in the area. I removed the info based on Rob's advice because I know Rob is involved with NEMBA and he has insights as to how these things work. These are NOT secret trails - their entrances are not hidden in any way and are all off of well known trails. As far as I can tell, these are not authorized trails, but they appear to be on public land and thus there are no private land issues at play here. What is in play is that once something is posted for the public to see, it can be easily forwarded to the wrong people and thus the opportunity for negative consequences (MWW could mark this entire area No Tresspassing, or just not allow mtn bikes if they get ticked off enough).

So, while not posting the info could appear to be an attempt to keep people off the trails, it's actually a move intended to assure that everyone who is interested will be able to continue to enjoy the trails.

That having been said, if you need the info for these particular trails, shoot me a PM and ye shall receive. Since these are local to me and are still breaking in, the more traffic the better from my perspective. I don't think it's possible for these trails to get any negative attention from too many (responsible) riders since the entire area is sanctioned for bike use, however, with perception always trumping reality, public postings about these types of trails could create the perception in the minds of the wrong people that 'something must be done about this'.

In a more general sense, I have been invited to enjoy some trails in places that happen to be on private land. The owners allow bike use, but with a few rules (rules made up by the landowner, not the guy seemingly wanting to keep secrets). For the most part, as long as people are not taking large groups out there, the owners allow riders to share the trails with others so long as it's by word of mouth and not public postings. It gets a little dicey shring this type of info with strangers because you are not sure if you can trust them to respect the landowners' rules or not. This is the type of situation where someone with the knowledge may be more willing to give you a tour than provide directions - it's a lot easier to put trust in a face and a handshake than it is to throw caution to the wind and hope this stranger that you armed with info will be responsible with that info.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    If you ride an area enough, you will find the goods.

The UPS guy showed me the 4 mile trail.

YoG finds every new slice at LW & HP, he's there more than the buttbumpers.

The buttbumpers, man that is classic NT
    Voltron

beer thief
    What i think is that people want "their" trails to themselves and their group of peers and they don't want them "ruined" by outsiders. Not describing to random people how to get to the goods and offering tours only is another form of control. I'm sure people that do tours of secret trails get some sort of self gratification, which may or may not be the real intention....
    No, Brian, you are wrong about this. Greg, this has nothing to do with trail hoarding. These trails are 2+ hours away from me, I have never ridden them and chances are I may never (but I copied Pete's directions just in case). Maybe they are totally legit, I don't know. Bootleg, social, or unauthorized trails are all over the place; sometimes they are no problem, sometimes they are located on various pieces of private land where posting about them on open forums can have negative consequences. While we might like to think this is our own private club the fact is anyone can and will read these boards. There have been previous issues with MWW in the past, and I would hate to see the local MTB association go through more trouble with them or have closures. If this land is owned by a municipal utility they have no obligation to let anyone use it for recreation; consider it a gift what they have allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    .... What is in play is that once something is posted for the public to see, it can be easily forwarded to the wrong people and thus the opportunity for negative consequences (MWW could mark this entire area No Tresspassing, or just not allow mtn bikes if they get ticked off enough).

So, while not posting the info could appear to be an attempt to keep people off the trails, it's actually a move intended to assure that everyone who is interested will be able to continue to enjoy the trails...
    Well put, Pete.

mtbr member
    There is a lot of secret trail talk, and avoiding gviving directions to legit trail talk on these boards. It might not be obvious if you've always lived here and this is all you know. But i've lived in places where this isn't the case. Then again i haven't lived in many places so maybe the attitude i sense here is more common amongst MTBers as a whole; also dissapointing.

You can't even get an idea from asking or searching the web about how to get around on some awesome trails a ways up into Maine. It makes me not even care about going up there at all, which may be the goal. I look forward to the Maine huts trails that have been discussed on the boards. A mapped out destination. I like going to places like that and meeting random mtb people.

Who would have thought that NJ, and Metro NYC would have a friendlier MTB communities than here?

I only get this feeling from the local forums though. People i meet in person always seem cool. However being someone that has moved three times to areas where i don't know anybody, i rely on forums a lot.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    No, Brian, you are wrong about this. Greg, this has nothing to do with trail hoarding. These trails are 2+ hours away from me, I have never ridden them and chances are I may never (but I copied Pete's directions just in case). Maybe they are totally legit, I don't know. Bootleg, social, or unauthorized trails are all over the place; sometimes they are no problem, sometimes they are located on various pieces of private land where posting about them on open forums can have negative consequences. While we might like to think this is our own private club the fact is anyone can and will read these boards. There have been previous issues with MWW in the past, and I would hate to see the local MTB association go through more trouble with them or have closures. If this land is owned by a municipal utility they have no obligation to let anyone use it for recreation; consider it a gift what they have allowed.

Well put, Pete.
    no sarcasm intended.....Rob, do you really think civilians are logging onto the MTBR board to read threads?
    Voltron

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg View Post
    no sarcasm intended.....Rob, do you really think civilians are logging onto the MTBR board to read threads?
    I know wackos like Vandeman do monitor MTB forums and anyone can end up here as a result of a Google search. The MWW could type in F-O-M-B-A and find things they might not be aware of, with a possible result of closing down trails or restricting access; there has been similar trouble there in years past. I know the Forest Service (who has an active enforcement division that works behind the scenes) and The Nature Conservancy both have heightened awareness of bootleg trails. What better place for biking opponents to get inside info?

There is a lot of secret trail talk, and avoiding gviving directions to legit trail talk on these boards... You can't even get an idea from asking or searching the web about how to get around on some awesome trails a ways up into Maine. It makes me not even care about going up there at all, which may be the goal. I look forward to the Maine huts trails that have been discussed on the boards. A mapped out destination. I like going to places like that and meeting random mtb people.

Who would have thought that NJ, and Metro NYC would have a friendlier MTB communities than here?

I only get this feeling from the local forums though. People i meet in person always seem cool. However being someone that has moved three times to areas where i don't know anybody, i rely on forums a lot.
    The issue, and I think Toddski's point was totally missed in the Mt. A thread, is that many of our networks are mazes of unsigned trails. Lynn Woods is a good example; having a great guide like Greg is the only way to ride all the prime trails in the best direction unless you live nearby and have the time to explore trial & error style. I could spell out a good ride for you in a legit area of Conway, even send you a map, but the reality is when you get in the woods the map stops making sense at the first unmapped trail intersection, and even the mapped ones have no signage (we're working on this). Often times the best one can do is provide a recommended parking location, which may not be the best place because of private property concerns.

I've given countless tours, even fed, provided a bike or a place to stay for numerous strangers met on these boards. I've been given tours in return; yogreg, Severum, Cap'n High-Pressure, Biggearss have all turned me on to great rides, same with MTBR folks in Moab, New Mexico, Colorado, California, Vancouver, Squamish, etc. I have found the 'New England attitude' prevalent in most of these places - people will show you everything, but ask about them on the 'net and they are justifiably concerned about jeopardizing their local area. Do you want a tour of North Conway's best trails? Just let me know when you'll be here.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I know wackos like Vandeman do monitor MTB forums and anyone can end up here as a result of a Google search. The MWW could type in F-O-M-B-A and find things they might not be aware of, with a possible result of closing down trails or restricting access; there has been similar trouble there in years past. I know the Forest Service (who has an active enforcement division that works behind the scenes) and The Nature Conservancy both have heightened awareness of bootleg trails. What better place for biking opponents to get inside info?

The issue, and I think Toddski's point was totally missed in the Mt. A thread, is that many of our networks are mazes of unsigned trails. Lynn Woods is a good example; having a great guide like Greg is the only way to ride all the prime trails in the best direction unless you live nearby and have the time to explore trial & error style. I could spell out a good ride for you in a legit area of Conway, even send you a map, but the reality is when you get in the woods the map stops making sense at the first unmapped trail intersection, and even the mapped ones have no signage (we're working on this). Often times the best one can do is provide a recommended parking location, which may not be the best place because of private property concerns.

I've given countless tours, even fed, provided a bike or a place to stay for numerous strangers met on these boards. I've been given tours in return; yogreg, Severum, Cap'n High-Pressure, Biggearss have all turned me on to great rides, same with MTBR folks in Moab, New Mexico, Colorado, California, Vancouver, Squamish, etc. I have found the 'New England attitude' prevalent in most of these places - people will show you everything, but ask about them on the 'net and they are justifiably concerned about jeopardizing their local area. Do you want a tour of North Conway's best trails? Just let me know when you'll be here.
    Rob,
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify your point.

Greg
    Voltron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast