Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solo24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    103

    Florida boy Coming to N.H.

    Hey people, I'm coming up on business for a few weeks. Doing a job in Keene and bringing my mountain bike. Any good trail systems in the nearby vicinty?

    spelling fixed, Thanks

    Thanks for any input
    Scott
    Last edited by solo24; 09-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Sun Devils
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299
    You'll probably get a lot of flack on here for spelling Keene wrong, but I heard Drummer Hill is decent and that's near where you'll be working. I haven't rode it personally, if you've got the time I definetly suggest you get to Highland where you'll be riding a lift up and hitting some of the best trails around on the way down.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    127
    Mt. Ascutney (AKA the STAB Trails) is your best bet within an hour's drive. 32 Miles of a full variety of cross-country riding. Here's a sample:

    5-minute video of Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney.

  4. #4
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,207
    if you're in town 3 weeks, I'd travel around a bit, lot's of quality riding 0-2hrs from Keene.
    beaver hunt

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solo24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    You'll probably get a lot of flack on here for spelling Keene wrong, but I heard Drummer Hill is decent and that's near where you'll be working. I haven't rode it personally, if you've got the time I definetly suggest you get to Highland where you'll be riding a lift up and hitting some of the best trails around on the way down.
    Do I have to take the lift? I like to climb, makes the descent so much better when you have to work for it.

    Thanks everyone

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ecwashere7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    if you're in town 3 weeks, I'd travel around a bit, lot's of quality riding 0-2hrs from Keene.
    Totally agree with this. There are several spots worth the drive from Keene in a day. I would make it a priority to head up 91 to Kingdom Trails for fast, flowy fun. If you want more technical riding, try Millstone in Barre VT.

    I've heard great things about STAB and also Charlemont (in MA).

    Check out NEMBA.org for great info on trails. I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to show you around.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    70
    I'd throw Bear Brook on that list, too. Just make sure you've got a good idea of where you're going - there's some sick loops I've been taken on!

    And yeah, make the 2 hour drive to VT for Kingdom Trails. New England's best biking.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manchvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,007
    I think alot of the suggestions are from people who haven't actually ridden drummer hill. If you like to climb, with huge rewards.. drummer hill is the shiz.. That's really all it is, is climbing and descending... here's a taste of both highland and drummer with phil kmetz... makes it look so easy...

    Phil Kmetz @ Highland Mountain/ Drummer Hill Video - Pinkbike
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

  9. #9
    JDM
    JDM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by solo24 View Post
    Do I have to take the lift? I like to climb, makes the descent so much better when you have to work for it.

    Thanks everyone
    There are plenty of long, fun, techy climbs and great descents in the area. Check out this map for some trailheads directions: bit.ly/trailheads.

    STAB, Pinnacle, Cornish Town Forest, and Boston Lot are all relatively close and tons of fun if you like rocks, roots and hills.

    If you want a break from rock/root/climby trails then head over to Franklin Falls for some buff, flowy fun.

    Bring a light if you want to hook up with weekday evening rides. We will start to need them soon.

    Trail info and maps for some of these places can be had at these links:
    Brattleboro-Keene NEMBA
    Central NH NEMBA
    Team Pinnacle
    Omer & Bobs

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: randy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I think alot of the suggestions are from people who haven't actually ridden drummer hill. If you like to climb, with huge rewards.. drummer hill is the shiz.. That's really all it is, is climbing and descending... here's a taste of both highland and drummer with phil kmetz... makes it look so easy...

    Phil Kmetz @ Highland Mountain/ Drummer Hill Video - Pinkbike
    Now that was a great video!! He maks it look so easy.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by solo24 View Post
    Do I have to take the lift? I like to climb, makes the descent so much better when you have to work for it.

    Thanks everyone

    Highlands a blast but biking up hill is a safety risk when we're all coming down hill at over 20mph! They have some cross trails too but I haven't tried them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •