Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Fall Riding Stoke

Had a good run of weather there for a bit. Rifle season means riding options get pretty limited, but I got a good shot last week, thought I'd share. New trail to me, close to home. Just so much damn riding here in Cerntral VT...just when you thought you've seen it all....you see some more.
    Post up some shots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall Riding Stoke-fallride1resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^^
    Awesome shot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How's this?

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Where is that is the better question?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is 'Stoke' one of those new smartphone apps?
    I heard some dude ran over some folks chanting 'stoke, stoke, stoke' over and over again.
    Something about posting it on some website or something.

(Image gone, in the first post, BTW)

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Where is the best question....
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Is 'Stoke' one of those new smartphone apps?
    I heard some dude ran over some folks chanting 'stoke, stoke, stoke' over and over again.
    Something about posting it on some website or something.

(Image gone, in the first post, BTW)
    OK, it took me a minute. If that is in reference to that "other" website and the discussion going on in another thread, that is way funny!!
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

Got A Lust for Life...
    Looks like someone skidded around that corner! Oh NO! That looks awesome btw.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Blueberry Lake?! Nice spot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nope. It's what I call the climb up Kimmer's (Adams Camp) in Stowe. But a buddy told me that section is called "Hardy's". In either case, I was riding up it (this is looking back down) on my 'cross bike. Wasn't me that skidded!

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Nope. It's what I call the climb up Kimmer's (Adams Camp) in Stowe. But a buddy told me that section is called "Hardy's". In either case, I was riding up it (this is looking back down) on my 'cross bike. Wasn't me that skidded!

So is the Stowe area raked out? looks sweet
    beaver hunt

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    So is the Stowe area raked out? looks sweet
    Blown, no doubt. Keep it narrow folks! Don't make it look like an ATV trail.

beer thief
    Just so you all don't think I'm a grumpy old man with no contributions to the stoke... This guy is 61 years old and acts 16.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall Riding Stoke-michael-edge10-medium-.jpg  

Fall Riding Stoke-michael-spine5-medium-.jpg  

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Blown, no doubt. Keep it narrow folks! Don't make it look like an ATV trail.
    Blown, raked, vacuumed... whatever you want to call it works for me I raked a trail at Bear Brook with a 8" (keep it narrow) rake last week, got a complaint " next time you tell me something is raked, it better not be with your boot"
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I guess the Stowe stuff got blown WIDE. Like 8 feet. Knew it was some STW work by the guidestones. It's Hardy Haul btw. It get's you up to the Haul Road in Trapps, then bypasses the Chute which is a very steep section of the road that is tough to climb. The name gives a nod to the designer and chief builder, but, as he insists, is not named after him. I like to climb Kimmers and go down Hardy Haul personally, but hey, it's all about options!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks nice!

I'm going to be in Stowe, right after Thanksgiving. Barring a snowfall, are the trails up there closed for Hunting on the weekends? Can you let me know which spots will be open so I'm not going to shot by hunters? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Had a good run of weather there for a bit. Rifle season means riding options get pretty limited, but I got a good shot last week, thought I'd share. New trail to me, close to home. Just so much damn riding here in Cerntral VT...just when you thought you've seen it all....you see some more.
    Post up some shots!
    Nice shot! Looks like an awesome trail.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Blown, raked, vacuumed... whatever you want to call it works for me I raked a trail at Bear Brook with a 8" (keep it narrow) rake last week, got a complaint " next time you tell me something is raked, it better not be with your boot"
    You did drag that boot last year on said trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    Looks nice!

I'm going to be in Stowe, right after Thanksgiving. Barring a snowfall, are the trails up there closed for Hunting on the weekends? Can you let me know which spots will be open so I'm not going to shot by hunters? Thanks.
    There's a good bit you can ride in Stowe, but not those trails, It's Adam's Camp because the Adams family has their hunting camp there. You can ride all the Cady Hill Stuff and connect to the Trapps stuff via Pipeline. Or ride the Cady Hill Stuff from Iride/AJs, then do another ride from the highschool up Pipeline and ride the traps stuff. Maps are available at the bike shops in town.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It was awesome. Underutilized rake and ride right next door. Here's one from today in Northfield.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall Riding Stoke-northfieldsniggledwightresized.jpg  

Got A Lust for Life...
    It was awesome. Underutilized rake and ride right next door. Here's one from today in Northfield.
    That is great to see. Thanks!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I guess the Stowe stuff got blown WIDE. Like 8 feet. Knew it was some STW work by the guidestones. It's Hardy Haul btw. It get's you up to the Haul Road in Trapps, then bypasses the Chute which is a very steep section of the road that is tough to climb. The name gives a nod to the designer and chief builder, but, as he insists, is not named after him. I like to climb Kimmers and go down Hardy Haul personally, but hey, it's all about options!
    Yep, I know the route well. Oddly enough, I don't often ride Adams Camp on my MTB. I mainly ride that area when I'm on a "road" ride. I usually link it up from Luce Hill to Haul Rd to Adams Camp (either way down) to 108, to Edson Hill, to Weeks Hill, and home. The week before that photo, before it was blown, I was coming down Hardy Haul, and overshot a corner... landing in a mud hole and breaking my front brake lever. Riding the rest of the way down on a 'cross bike with only a rear brake was a little harry!
    Anywho, if you ever see a giant dude (I'm 6'5") on a 'cross bike, that's probably me. Howdy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is that a complaint? Did you go up and ride it or measure it, or what? FYI - I blew that trail and lots of others. I'm guessing you talked to Hardy. I saw him while riding a trail about an hour after I finished it. Does it look wide right after I blow it? Yes, maybe it does. If I blow it narrow, it is a tunnel with walls of leaves that are almost knee high. The walls fall back down and you are back where you started. It's blown as wide as the bench cut. Go ride it a week after it's been blown and it looks like a singletrack again. Anyway, people seem to like it and I've had waaay more positive comments than negative.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Is that a complaint? Did you go up and ride it or measure it, or what? FYI - I blew that trail and lots of others. I'm guessing you talked to Hardy. I saw him while riding a trail about an hour after I finished it. Does it look wide right after I blow it? Yes, maybe it does. If I blow it narrow, it is a tunnel with walls of leaves that are almost knee high. The walls fall back down and you are back where you started. It's blown as wide as the bench cut. Go ride it a week after it's been blown and it looks like a singletrack again. Anyway, people seem to like it and I've had waaay more positive comments than negative.
    Sorry Eric. Didn't mean to insult you. Someone else mentioned to me they thought it was a bit wide. I guess I'll just defer to the sentiments expressed earlier in the thread from RadAir. I will also acknowledge that it will likely need to be reraked in the spring. Also, Charlies Trail IS 20 feet wide in places (I actually did measure) so there you only blew it half off! This side track is definitely not stoke.....take some pics of your leaf blown trail and it will count.
    Edit: Have to add a pic for that.....I'll reuse one..My old, beloved Imp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall Riding Stoke-mudcityrapidfallevilresized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Prettiest spot in Lamoille County right there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast