Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fair warning - the ticks are here already

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Billy Mumphry 
#1 ·
Just an fyi - I went out for a quick reconaissance mission to find some new trails at my usual haunt in Merrimack, (Southern) NH and when I got back I had 2, count em 2 ticks on me. They both paid the iron price for their transgressions.

Just an FYI - I was in some reasonably heavy brush, but I didn't expect them to be out in full force already. It's gonna be a nasty year for them, I think.

#2 ·
Our son and some buddies were out in the woods behind our house this afternoon in the Burlington VT area and came home with a bunch on them as well. I had hoped the long, cold winter might have thinned the tick herd a bit but it doesn't look that way so far.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, the cold weather has NO affect on ticks. It seems that they are very smart( damn it HA!) and learn to bury themselves in leaves etc... Somehow, I hope that someone figures out how to protect us a bit more from these nasty creatures.:madmax:

Be careful everyone!!

#4 ·
Ticks suck. And they don't die in winter, true. In fact some stay active all winter. Being from PA though, ticks are old hat. I feel like they have caused a really over-the-top buzz in N.E, no offense to anyone. They can cause illness so look for signs and symptoms. The bullseye on the skin or fever like symptoms are a sure sign. Tall grass and sedges are an excellent area for them to hop onto their host, so avoid these areas as best you can, but if you've been there, then check for ticks. Long sleeves and pants are helpful and when checking, make sure to check the scalp and body crevasses as these are the number one place for them to hang out. My dad and my cousin both have lyme disease. It was unpleaseant for a while, but they now have zero symptoms. I'm a firm believer that these guys will continue to migrate more heavily north, so we will have to deal with them. Irratication or control probably won't be an option any time soon.

#5 ·
Call in the Foot Soldiers--When the outbreak looks immanent you have to organize the FS: walkers, hikers, joggers, runners, dog walkers-especially those with fury, slow moving wanderers on a 3 foot leash... give them a solid 4-6 hours on the trails and the tick population will be reduced by 80% +..... then Ride ON

#7 ·
I wish we could establish a colony of tick eating crocodile monitors out here...

Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about them; I always change, check and wash off after rides but I figured I'd let folks know anyway. I'd still take ticks any day over deer flies when they're at their worst.

#9 ·
That's what I meant - I'm not discounting the risk of infectious disease, I'm just very careful.

Deer flies in mid July Horse Hill are a brutal nuisance. I had a fairly nasty crash last year when one flew behind my glasses, buzzed around for a second then bit my eyelid.

But again, I understand the risk - that's why I shared with everyone. Hopefully this frost kills some of the neonates produced by their recent activity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.