mtbr member

Epic Rides/Backcountry/Bikepacking

I've been following some posts/blogs about guys out west doing bikepacking. I love New England riding and think we have a great selection. But I'm looking for some wilderness on an upcoming vacation.

I may do some backpacking in the Whites and/or Baxter. Do we in New England have any long/epic/out-there trails? I know I could easily put in an epic 6-hour ride at KT or any number of areas, but I'm looking for a more point-to-point, possibly bring a pack, see no one ride.

Moderator Moderator
    A bike is a great way to see Baxter, especially if you combine it with hiking and kayaking. Bikes are only allowed on the tote road, not the trails. In 2011 I spent 8 nights there, bikepacking on to a different campground every night, and then did hikes, swimming, moosewatching, etc. from that campground (or in between), exploring the lesser known trails and ponds. I had a tent, but mostly had leantos reserved, walk-in sites where possible. I brought the kayak and paddled out to stay the first night at a paddle-in cabin, then put it on the car the next day and left it parked while I bikepacked. This also let me stop at the car and more importantly the cooler for supplies halfway through the trip. At the end I stayed the last night in another cabin on another pond. I rarely saw anyone on the less popular hiking trails, but you definitely see people and cars on the tote road (narrow dirt, 15mph limit).

mtbr member
    Wow, sounds great, ana ctually am looking to go to Baxter as other vacation plans have fallen through. Sadly I'll be lucky to get a night or two in. But this is a great idea for future trips.

mtbr member
    I'm one of those lucky guys that currently gets to do a little bit of western bikepacking, but I'll be moving to ME eventually so I've been doing some research on where to go back East. So far Newfoundland, Labrador and Quebec are looking good for multiday, out of the way trips! I too would love to hear about some of the NE rides that fit the bill though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd think northern Maine would be a great for some get out there touring. Hit the Golden Road or one of the other major logging roads to start, then just get lost. I wish I had time to explore out there on a bike (done a bit on foot).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Golden Road sounded interesting, did some searches on it and it appears that bicycles/atv/motorcycles are not allowed. Does anyone in Maine have info on bicycles on the GR or has ridden the Golden Rd? Sounds like a great way to see some remote eastern country.

mtbr member

Epic Rides/Backcountry/Bikepacking

The golden road has double sized logging trucks going 50mph, and water spray trucks on it spraying just to keep the dust tolerable. Doesn't sound ideal to me, I didn't even like it in a car. Gravel road, dead flat, swampy moose land on either side for miles and miles. There's better things to see. I live in the whites, there are a few options for longish multi day tours, but without knowing the area, it would be hard for you to map one out.

mtbr member
    Good to know Schott!

Are these White tours in the WMNF? Like the forest roads?

Its sort of silly for me to post this but I was day dreaming on the job. I currently am in the process of procuring a new steed and have no bike to tour on. But its nice to dream and plan?

The feeling I've gotten is that any backcountry touring in NE will see a lot of forest road/double track.

Sheesh, its even hard for me to find a decent backpacking getaway next week where I can spend a few nights in the woods without seeing anyone else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There are plenty of spur roads that lead off the Golden Road. I've been in the 100-mile wilderness on the AT and come across plenty of well-maintained logging roads, far from the Golden Road. In fact, most of northern Maine is crossed by logging roads, some private, some probably not. As far as get lost on dirt road terrain in New England, I can't think of a more extensive region to explore.