Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Early October NH/ME trip?

How does this look? Oct 4th-10th.

Danbury, CT to Danbury, CT - Google Maps

Leave ******bury the 4th, main goal to hit Sunday River the 6th and 7th.
    Suggestions for what to hit the afternoon of the 4th, and the 5th before hitting SR? North Conway or otherwise? Looking to not add too much more drivetime off of 91. Beer in exchange for guide service?

I'd like to check out some of the Portland area stuff, and eat at Duck Fat the 8th. Have heard good things about the local area trails.

Then down to hit something in the Boston area the 9th - haven't ridden down there in a loooooong time. Suggestions? Harold Parker, the Fells, Lynn, Nam, Foxboro, Wompy, Otis and TOT are all places I rode a lot when living there, but I'm sure things have changed a bit since 2001...

End with something north-coastal CT with my two brothers-in-law the 10th, before coasting 1.5 hours home. Plan mostly to camp along the way, but Sunday has a nice sounding $49 bike and stay/lift ticket and cheap room package for those days.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Made to Shred
    You may want to alter the route (but like you said, you may not have time) while traveling through Southern NH so it pinches a bit. There is a ton of riding between 91 and 95. Bear Brook, Casalis, Goffstown, Greenfield, Pawtuckaway come quickly to mind. Fort Rock is near the coast-a must see if you like lots of rock as you travel south. Great trails throughout. We were riding in Harold Parker a lot while waiting for the snow to melt this past spring as well as in and around Leominster. Lowell/Dracut is great along with the connecting Willowdale and Bradley State Forests. If you are going through southern RI, Arcadia is a lot of fun too with plenty of singletrack. Those come quickly to mind from memory. Hope that helps.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lots of options within 20 minutes or so of 91 as you make your way north - a few recommended places worth spending 2-3 hours less than 15 miles from the nearest exit before you get too stiff from driving (the first 3-4 hours of your trip) - Batchelder St/Earls, Wendell, Charlemont, in Mass, Ascutney/STAB Trails in Vt.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Made to Shred
    +1 on the Ascutney / STAB trails recommendation in Vt. Good stuff.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

JDM
    mtbr member
    +1 on Ascutney / STAB. There is other really good riding along I91, but that is your best bet if you are only making one stop in the area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    STAB's Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney is only 7 miles off Route 91. Check out www.stabvt.org.

Yep, after seeing lots and lots of good stuff about STAB, that'll be it for the 4th, at the least. Up to North Conway to ride the 5th (or again at STAB if i have enough fun the first day)

Sunday River the 6th and 7th.

Portland area stuff the 8th.

Bruce and Toms outside Boston on the 9th. Or maybe Lynn. Not sure yet. Haven't been there in aloooong time.

Home the 10th.

Awesome. Got a nice little trip planned now!

MC MasterShake
    I could take a long lunch on Tuesday 10/9 and show you some trails if you're interested. Lynn Woods, Harold Parker, Willowdale, Greenwood are in my striking area for a lunch break ride. PM me if you're up for it.

Bump. BTW, TIA for any and all advice. I like techy, like long rides, and am not afraid to earn my turns. Have been to Bradbury once, for a race in like, 2000 or so.

Plan is to camp myself each day wherever I can find closest to where I just rode, other than the two days at SR. Having looked into spots yet, but shouldn't be too hard to find. I'm not above sleeping in the car and firing up my stove while in a parking lot somewhere if need be. Like to cook at camp, but also dig good local eats, and plan to sample whatever looks and sounds good when roaming around.

4th - drive up and ride STAB trails, camp.

5th - up to Millstone trails, camp.

6th - North Conway, NH area trails, camp.

7th and 8th - Sunday River - last two days for their lifts this year, and they have a $49 room and lift ticket deal. Nice. Gotta' call them about that...

9th - Bradbury SP trails, camp.

10th - B&T's, drive home.

The 4th, 5th, and 6th days - keep them split, or is one of those spots worth staying/riding for two days and giving up one of the others?
    Last edited by scrublover; 09-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.

beer thief
    Dave, you're welcome to stay at my place in Conway; plenty of room and direct trail access right from the house. You could easily spend a couple days here and not touch it all. I'll plan for a grand west side tour on 10/6 and you can decide if you want to stay/return for the other side of town.

Bill (woodyak) would be a good man to hook up with for a No. MA ride.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Dave, you're welcome to stay at my place in Conway; plenty of room and direct trail access right from the house. You could easily spend a couple days here and not touch it all. I'll plan for a grand west side tour on 10/6 and you can decide if you want to stay/return for the other side of town.

Ha. I was just in the middle of my response recommending you look up Rob (radair) for N. Conway stuff. I fully recommend a couple of days, especially with a free place to stay and thee guide for the area.

I can certainly help with N. Shore riding. Lynn Woods and B&T's are pretty fun but are both pretty similar. Lot's of big granite stuff, drops, power moves, etc. It's very slow riding in general and it works best if you have a guide as there is tons of turns everywhere. B&T's is more fun IMO but it's a smaller trail system. I might be able to guide either spot depending on the date and time.

The riding that I've found around Portland isn't great. Bradbury is probably the best in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it. Plus they close it down at any inkling of rain. I'd suggest push further south and either Fort Rock in Exeter, NH or Harold Parker in Andover, MA or 2 days in the N. Shore area.

I'll likely still camp, but thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Ha. I was just in the middle of my response recommending you look up Rob (radair) for N. Conway stuff. I fully recommend a couple of days, especially with a free place to stay and thee guide for the area.

I can certainly help with N. Shore riding. Lynn Woods and B&T's are pretty fun but are both pretty similar. Lot's of big granite stuff, drops, power moves, etc. It's very slow riding in general and it works best if you have a guide as there is tons of turns everywhere. B&T's is more fun IMO but it's a smaller trail system. I might be able to guide either spot depending on the date and time.

The riding that I've found around Portland isn't great. Bradbury is probably the best in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it. Plus they close it down at any inkling of rain. I'd suggest push further south and either Fort Rock in Exeter, NH or Harold Parker in Andover, MA or 2 days in the N. Shore area.
    B&T sounds good then - last day to ride, keep it shorter/smaller right before hopping in the car to drive home.

I'll get in touch with you both closer to then.

the train keeps rollin
    +1 on them Duckfat fries.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    In all honesty Bradbury is not the place I would choose on the Maine coast for a campout / good ride. Another 1.5 hr north of Portland you could camp at the Camden Hills state park, and ride the Snowbowl. Great views, and more trail variety than Bradbury.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    The riding that I've found around Portland isn't great. Bradbury is probably the best in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it. Plus they close it down at any inkling of rain.
    Alot has changed in Portland over the past 3 years, lots of new trails there to be considered... but most of the trails in Portland don't link up well from town to town, so you need to know how to find the trail heads and link them.

And I would not be so quick to dismiss Bradbury, especially if he has not been there since 2000. Trails have changed alot in 12 years, and GPNEMBA has worked their tail off coordinating volunteers to harden the trails so they now rarely close during the rain - unless its a prolonged deluge.

Bradbury certainly doesn't have the TTF that some trail networks have - but then again its a State Park, so the trails have to appeal to a much wider range of skill levels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
    In all honesty Bradbury is not the place I would choose on the Maine coast for a campout / good ride. Another 1.5 hr north of Portland you could camp at the Camden Hills state park, and ride the Snowbowl. Great views, and more trail variety than Bradbury.
    When is the last time you rode Bradbury? There is enought there to keep you busy for a couple of days. I never rode Camden but the trail map appears pretty limited.

More vertical at Camden but Bradbury has good flow and also a good technical trail in "O"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post
    When is the last time you rode Bradbury? There is enought there to keep you busy for a couple of days. I never rode Camden but the trail map appears pretty limited.

More vertical at Camden but Bradbury has good flow and also a good technical trail in "O"
    Last at Bradbury a couple of weeks ago. I do like Bradbury, ride there a couple of times a year, & do the 12 hr race.

If you have never been to the Snowbowl, you really should try it. The map is not going to reflect how much trail is really there. Plus, there is currently construction of a machine built trail ( it's going to be fairly long w/ big berms, rollers, tables ). I'm happy to show anyone around the Bowl. My tour will show all the goods we have up here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
    Last at Bradbury a couple of weeks ago. I do like Bradbury, ride there a couple of times a year, & do the 12 hr race.

If you have never been to the Snowbowl, you really should try it. The map is not going to reflect how much trail is really there. Plus, there is currently construction of a machine built trail ( it's going to be fairly long w/ big berms, rollers, tables ). I'm happy to show anyone around the Bowl. My tour will show all the goods we have up here.
    I do plan to get up there this fall. There is a huge potential there and it is great to see them improving. It would be nice to see Camden state park develop some biking trails. The back side could be a great place to cut some ST.

Edit: forcasts are looking worse every day. Not horrible stuff, but not sure if I'm feeling like doing all that driving just to ride and camp in rain. Any of you more local to these spots give me a condition update? How wet are things at the moment?

10/4 STAB

10/5 Millstone

10/6 North Conway area stuff

10/7-8 Sunday River lifts

10/9 lather, rinse, repeat of one of the first three days, whichever I liked the most, then home.

Not sure on exact times of course, but will be pedaling on a black Blur TRc, at the lifts on a silver Reign-X/Totem combo, camping out of a little black 5-door Kia if anyone is looking to ride/drink beer.
    Last edited by scrublover; 10-03-2012 at 03:39 AM.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I rode Moody park at lunch yesterday. It is about 20 minutes from STAB and really poorly drained. Most years it turns to a soupy mess after a brief shower. This year has been so dry that the ground soaked up the rain that we've been getting and there was no standing water or mud yesterday.

I think you'll be OK. It is looking more like occasional light showers rather than continuous, steady rain.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Edit: forcasts are looking worse every day. Not horrible stuff, but not sure if I'm feeling like doing all that driving just to ride and camp in rain. Any of you more local to these spots give me a condition update? How wet are things at the moment?
    For the most part our trails are well drained, but it's been raining off & on all week so it will be slippery. Too bad the weather went to sh!t because the whole month of September was awesome.

MC MasterShake
    For the most part our trails are well drained, but it's been raining off & on all week so it will be slippery. Too bad the weather went to sh!t because the whole month of September was awesome.
    Yeah, it's been a soaking rain for the past couple of days here in MA. It's supposed to be nice on Friday and maybe Saturday but there is more wet in the forecast. I guess it's fortunate I chose this month to be laid up with a broken shoulder.

mtbr member
    Wait, is there any reason you're leaving Kingdom Trails off the list?
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney (STAB) is in good shape. The singletrack was all built to drain well. Sunday we had 700 bikers and 500 runners on a small part of the trails. Except for a few muddy spots, you'd think it was dozen people at most.

If anything is closed, it would be posted here:
    Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney

Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    Wait, is there any reason you're leaving Kingdom Trails off the list?
    Been there, done that. Wanted to check out some new to me spots. Beer/food/book/bed at camp now, off to Millstone tomorrow.

Rode I think near all the ST @ STAB today. Wet and slippery, but fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast