Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dover - UNH

mtbr member

Dover - UNH

I did a quick search on the posts and nothing turned up in this area. I'm dating a girl who is going back to school at UNH. This means I'll be spending a few weekends a month up there.

Where is the riding at?

I'm running a SS hardtail with 32x18, may gear down 32x20 - recommendations?

I generally like to spin classic New England cross country. Not looking for downhill parks.

Go Bruins!
    There is Kingman Farm right in Madbury, though I've never been. There is a bunch of stuff close by like Stratham Hill, Fort Rock in Exeter, Mount Agamenticus in York, ME. Each one of those is 20-30 min away tops.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ya kingman is closest and will entertain you enough to have some fun and get a good workout in. some of the one tracks are a bit tough to spot, but are quite fun once you find em. stick with 32-18 for there. or anywhere

stratham hill park is probably yer best bang for buck coming from dover. not techy, but keeps you working if yer pushing a bit.

rog

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you do fort rock, 32-20 is a good gear out there. That's what I roll on and never have issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    If you do fort rock, 32-20 is a good gear out there. That's what I roll on and never have issues.
    32-18 works very well too and faster. more momentum. all what you get used to pushing/rolling over.

rog

mtbr member
    Patuckeway and bear brook ain't far. BB is stellar

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    mmmmmm, bb. I live a few minutes from aggy and never ride there. many places are close, but I so much more enjoy riding bb even with the 55 minute drive. may hit it up sunday morning for 2-3 hours if anyone's interested.

rog

mtbr member
    Nice. Madbury looks good if I need a quick burst. Interested in this Bear Brook.

As far as gearing, I've been out of the saddle a while and a 20T rear would sure help the hills. But I'd rather HAB then spin like madman on flats. Besides, the more I ride 18T the stronger I get, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    As far as gearing, I've been out of the saddle a while and a 20T rear would sure help the hills. But I'd rather HAB then spin like madman on flats. Besides, the more I ride 18T the stronger I get, right?
    right. ss ain't about making it easy. we have it too easy on the flats as it is. I mean I guess it is easy as you never have to think about anything or wonder what gear to be in. it sure ain't the fastest way to ride, but it sure as heck is pure fun. the only true way to really be connected with the trail is fully rigid ss. imo

rog

mtbr member
    The new setup has a fork (see our posts in the 2013 Unit thread), but I would have to say I never felt better than cruising on the old rigid SS. I do appreciate the fork though. I'm sure I'll be back on a rigid soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think everyone has mentioned the big ones. Kingman is fun as long as you're just looking to spin. It's not technical at all but if you're crunched for time its good. Ft Rock is super techy and everytime I ride it I come out feeling thrashed (battered and just exhausted). Stratham is my favorite as its technical enough to make you feel accomplished but has enough flowy sections to build momentum and make you spin. It also has some good climbs which I love. Haven't spent much time at Mt A but it's not bad. Basically, you're either going up or going down there so if you're out of shape maybe steer clear of that.

Bear brook I hear is THE premier place for XC riding but I have never been.

All these places are your classic NE riding. Tight, claustrophobic, rocky, and rooty.

mtbr member
    Still try to get back to the Gonic Trails for a quick and scenic ride along the Isinglass River. Not very long or technical but nice and flowy and good for a quick hour ride!
    The river trail along the Isinglass River is a fun singletrack run. The silver trail connecting the upper parking lot and the above the falls river trail is also a blast. Use the blue fire road to connect to the chute runs to the river. The yellow and red fireroad/doubletrack will connect you to many singletrack options.

You can access it about 1/2 way down Tolend Rd and turn onto Glen Hill Rd and follow for 1 mile to 1st parking lot. Trails have always been well maintained since I started riding them in 2000.
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Question: I'll likely be up riding Mt. A this weekend. What gearing would you recommend for a SS? I'm currently set up with 32x18 and find it pretty spot on most riding. Is there any terrible elevation I should gear down for?

Also, just a general idea of the trails? I heard they were more technical than flowy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, very techy and a lot of climbing and descending. I'm a gear head so I'm useless when it comes to what you want for your SS.

mtbr member
    I do love climbing, I suppose descending is okay too. As for gearing, looking back through the post I'll probably run what I have and assess. Its always so hard to compare technical-ness, but I'm sure its nothing out of my league.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Run whatcha brung guy. Changing gearing for different trails is much easier on a geared bike. If a trail is that steep that you can't get up on ss then that trail is probably an eroded piece o $hit. You got the right gear. Push it! Rog

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Question: I'll likely be up riding Mt. A this weekend. What gearing would you recommend for a SS? I'm currently set up with 32x18 and find it pretty spot on most riding. Is there any terrible elevation I should gear down for?

Also, just a general idea of the trails? I heard they were more technical than flowy?
    32x18 would be great for Aggy. I grew up riding there and used to run 2 to 1 on my SS (albeit before I knew better). Ironically, I now live at BB. Different strokes for different folks, but BB can't hold a candle to Aggy. No comparison, Aggy blows it away..... Oh yeah,IMO.....
    Enjoy it and if you ever want an Aggie tour, I am always lookin for excuses to go home.

mtbr member
    Reviving this with another question.

I'll be up seeing the lady this weekend and since I've taken the last three off to go riding she likely won't let me out for long (so long Wicked Ride). But, I do plan to sneak out and spin Kingman. Seems closest and I only need 1-2 hours.

I found some trail maps, looks like parking on 155 and at the Town Hall? Any tips on finding the singletrack or is it easily spotted?

Oh and rog, that Mount A ride I did about a month ago, holy hell. 32x18 killed me, but not as much as the rocks. Sick to see more SSers than I ever have but damn did those trails eat me up. When is the Yarmouth epic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Oh and rog, that Mount A ride I did about a month ago, holy hell. 32x18 killed me, but not as much as the rocks. Sick to see more SSers than I ever have but damn did those trails eat me up. When is the Yarmouth epic?
    it's all what you get used to. 32-18 is the perfect no brainer 29er ss gear. anything easier and anything but steep climbs is a unnecessary over spin fest, imo. just ride the sandwich trails in the hardest directions. aggy will seem flat. rocks are great traction. that is all

yarmouth epic? haven't heard. waiting..........

doin a cold one in kittery/York at 7am...................in 8 hours.

rog

mtbr member
    Winter question. Do people ski Kingman? Or do they ski in this area? I mean I could care less if I'm breaking new trail somewhere, but it is NH right? Oh, and is there even enough snow to bring the skinnys? I've been using them on Cape so I'd hope so...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have skied at Kingman. It can really only accommodate classic style XC. Haven't been out there this year but you'll need pretty good snowfall to get good coverage (lots of trees, rocks, roots can poke through the snow).

Also in the area, the ski teams use the fields and college woods to train. There's also the fields/river behind the Durham Boathouse on 108. Both are good for classic and skate skiing.

I THINK Stratham hill also grooms for skating but I do know people have also started classic skiing there.

mtbr member
    Choices choices! Sounds like maybe where the team goes would have a good chance of being tracked? Any word on snow conditions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes the fields behind the field house have tracks. Can't really speak to conditions. Based on the temperature. Ice skates would be appropriate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    plenty of snow at kingman, just not as much as the cape, ha! truth. as kevin said, Stratham is great. lots of great skiing there, as is the newfields to manchvegas rail bed. skate ski yer heart out for over 30 miles each way! or connect from there right into the fort rock groomed snowmo trails loops 2 and 3. tons of options. I pretty much quit Nordic since I bought a fatbike. love it so much I sold my regular mtb and am going fat year round. it's like CRACK!!!

rog

mtbr member
    Haha I heard that rog. My buddy kris was asking how I liked my unit. Knew it was you selling it. I've tried fat biking once. Would love one but need to balance funds. Besides it's winter and I like mixing it up. Thanks for the tips. Snow definitely looks less but I'm hoping to get to kingman tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast