mtbr member

Dogs at bradberry mt.

I'm going to be up in Maine in a week and I was just wondering how Bradbery Mt. is with dogs? I'm going riding ther and would like to bring my dog. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    There was an incident a couple of years ago and now dogs are required to be on a leash and cleaned up after. This is mainly enforced on the west side. I ride with my dog off leash on the east side where most of the good bike trails are. Others do the same and I have never been hassled. Not even by a ranger. That being said I always leash my dog to cross the road from the parking lot. Mainly for his safety but also to prevent some asshat from hassling me about my dog. Once across the road he is free to run along side me.

Had some idiot hassle me at Kingdom Trails a couple weeks ago on a weekday even though dogs are allowed off leash on weekdays according to their website. I think he was just looking for a fight because he came at me in the parking lot and said very aggressively "you are not going to take your dog with you are you?" I said yes and rode away from him before he could get his testosterone all pumped up in his brain.

I also try to ride when I know the park will not be too busy. Early or late in the day on the weekends. Any time on weekdays.

So the answer is you should be fine if you have a dog that is bullet proof with good trail manners.

mtbr member
    Thanks she a great trail dog.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Please don't bring your dog and ride off leash at Bradbury.

The park has a blanket rule that applies to all users and all trails, and when mountain bikers show up and ignore the rules it reflects on all of us. Reality is that non-dog people report that mtn bikers are not using leashes, and that comes back to those of us working with the park trying to maintain good relations between mountain bikers and the state park managers, so they will allow MTB on new trails being developed.

And most people don't understand what 'good trial manners' are... if your dog doesn't come and heel with one command, you don't have good trail manners.

If you want to ride with your dog, just go someplace else.

p.s. I have 3 dogs, and never bring them to Bradbury as there are plenty of other places to have them off leash.

mtbr member
    Fishbum does have a point although I have seen plenty of hikers on the east side with dogs off leash when I left mine at home.

I think it would be nice to open the east side to well mannered dogs. Very few uses other than bikers over there now. I know some people do not hike over there anymore because of all the bikers. They consider the west for hikers and the east for bikers.

Bradbury is a very progressive park considering they allow foot, horse, mountain bike, ski and snowmobile use on one of the most popular summit trails on the west side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode Bradbury about 5 times last year with my trail mutt...no issues.

mtbr member
    The rangers have always politely asked my party to leash the dog.