mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Cotton Brook Connector - Moscow / Waterbury, VT

So, where is this connector trail, to go from Cotton Brook to Little River and back?

Green Mountain Bike Update 2009 | Vermont Sports Magazine

VMBA and its Stowe chapter, the Stowe Mountain Bike Club, are working together on developing the Vermont Ride Center, and the most significant progress towards that goal is the opening of the approximately two-mile connector trail between Little River State Park in Waterbury and Cotton Brook in Stowe. Two miles may seem short, but this piece is both locally important and symbolic of a much greater development. Vermont–Forests, Parks and Recreation (VT-FPR) is considering six miles of trail in Little River State Park and eight miles in Cotton Brook.
    I don't see it marked on this map: (which is dated prior to the VT Sports Article)

http://www.vtfpr.org/parks/pdfs/litt...ea_history.pdf

Its also 'proposed' on this map:

Vermont Mountain Bike Association > Ride Center > Ride Center Maps

Was there this past weekend, coming in from the Moscow side, up Cotton Brook, and down. No sign of a MTB trail. Everything we encountered heading south / south west was signed 'No MTB'.

We ended up riding and walking a trail that paralleled the reservoir, then connecting over into LRSP from Hedgehog to Dalley Loop.

Bivy, fire, food, and a good sleep.
    Rolled out the park entrance in the morning for breakfast in Waterbury.

IMG_2219 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

View from a warm sleeping bag by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    From my conversations with the park manager, the trail is built, but not open to mountain bikers. Since it is on state land it needs to meet the criteria they have set for sustainable trails; basically the trail needs further armoring and a hard surface needs to be put down.

When I do that loop, from Richmond up to Stowe, I ride up the Daly loop trail, hop off the bike at the J. Carney Farm, and hike a bike up and over to Cotton Brook Rd. The connector trail is steep and loose, not actually rideable, even if you were allowed to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjabkrvt View Post
    From my conversations with the park manager, the trail is built, but not open to mountain bikers. Since it is on state land it needs to meet the criteria they have set for sustainable trails; basically the trail needs further armoring and a hard surface needs to be put down.

When I do that loop, from Richmond up to Stowe, I ride up the Daly loop trail, hop off the bike at the J. Carney Farm, and hike a bike up and over to Cotton Brook Rd. The connector trail is steep and loose, not actually rideable, even if you were allowed to.
    thanks. been a mystery to me why there can't be a definitive map / guide / post / warning something on vmba.

we actually rode to the end of the double track, then followed the reservoir edge (up high) on a trail that looks like it hit hedgehog hill loop. we then went up, past where you mention, and down the dalley loop on the double track, popping out between sections A and B. that section of trail was rideable, even in the dark and wet.

we passed where you must connect into the cotton brook side, wandering up that trail on foot to scout it, near kelty corners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've tried to find this also. If you go to:

Vermont Mountain Bike Association > Ride Center > Ride Center Maps

and scroll down to the map for LR to Stowe, that shows a trail location that runs along the reservoir, while the map your include above shows a trail much higher up on Hedgehog Mt. I've never really been able to figure out how to ride from LR to Cotton Brook, but given info from jjabkrvt, it appears its more bike a bike vs trail riding, at least for now. Would be nice to have up to date maps at VMBA. So I guess that explains my riding in circles.