mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Clough trails, Weare/Dunbarton, NH

Has anyone been out to the Clough State Park trails recently? Been away for a few years and I'm wondering if they're still open. Drove by and saw the road closed the other day.

think
    Jul 2008
    Clough is a lot of fun on a dirt bike. It's like the fort rock of dirt bike riding. Mountain biking there would be unpleasant to say the least though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I used to ride there quite a bit in the mid-90s. It gets a bit muddy and you have to be aware of the dirtbikes bombing up behind you, but I found them to be a lot of fun. I got my start in mountain biking out there. They used to have a race there as well.
    When was the last time you went? The road to the parking area looks closed... wondering if you can still access it.

think
    Jul 2008
    I haven't been up there in a few years.

Unless there's good trails outside the stuff the dirt bikes have access too, riding there would be 100% horrible. Long whooped out sandy sections and stuff. There's plenty of other GOOD riding built by mountain bikers in that area to check out, don't waste your time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    I haven't been up there in a few years.

Unless there's good trails outside the stuff the dirt bikes have access too, riding there would be 100% horrible. Long whooped out sandy sections and stuff. There's plenty of other GOOD riding built by mountain bikers in that area to check out, don't waste your time.
    Would have to agree. I have a 2009 Gas Gas EC 300 (while is for sale if anyone's interested) and ride there on occassion and just too many dirt bikes and atv's buzzing around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If I recall, the sandy sections are mostly around the lake and can be avoided. The stuff I remember riding was in the woods. Rocky and rooty and occasionally muddy.

mtbr member
    Clough is not what it used to be back in the 90's. That is where I would ride all the time back then. Now it is pretty much just for motorized entertainment. It has probably been 6 years since I went out there for reference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We're going to be in Weare for a 4 day camping trip the end of July and would love some beta for some trails, preferably near the Center School where we are staying near. Thanks for any ideas : )

mtbr member
    I was out there a couple of weeks ago on my crf450x. MTB would be a lot of fun there. Just go early in the morning, moto guys are too lazy to get up that early.

Its really only muddy in the spring, and then a day or two after a rain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the reply : ) Are you talking about Clough or the Army Corps Of Engineer property? We've gone over there in the army vehicles and the roads would be good for mnt biking, although dusty. I was hoping to be able to ride from the campsite and hit some trails or dirt roads at least in the down time. None of it shows on the google map.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Two great places close to weare are Pats Peak and fox state forest. Loads of trails in both aces. PM me for details.

Toby

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you for your reply. It'd be great to get some beta on trail heads and length/type of trails. We live in Hill so if the trails are good its worth heading that way. I found online that there's 25 miles of trails which is great and i want to get some riding in while we're at the truck rally. BTW, I tried PM but I'm too new a user.

mtbr member
    I guess i'm too new to post links. I'm happy to details, but cant seem to post links to google maps, or my email address.

Let me know if you have any other ideas... 1 down, 9 more posts before i can do anything meaningful.

Toby

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I saw Vincent State Forest is close to the school and on the way to Fox. Honeyhiker is my yahoo or we can keep replying till we reach the 15 posts. Silly!

mtbr member
    Just sent an email...