Thread: CircumBurke

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

CircumBurke

What an epicly brutal ride. That is a killer event, especially if you like to climb. Very well organized and produced. Conditions were a little tough on the Gold trail, but still fun. I don't think the 29 miles on Saturday and staying up half the night drinking helped me, but I still had fun and will do it again.

What is the plan for all that single track way out in Victory? Its completely in the middle of nowhere as far as I can tell, but really good.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    What an epicly brutal ride....

What is the plan for all that single track way out in Victory? Its completely in the middle of nowhere as far as I can tell, but really good.
    It was a really great time all the way around. I'd love to see that singletrack opened up for general use during the summer months. It's so remote out there that I'm sure the traffic would be mighty light. Here's my writeup on the day:

Circumburke Fatbike Slog | Single-Speed Slogging

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Great write up, thanks for sharing. I noticed a few guys in the beginning on fat bikes, it made my legs hurt just looking at them.

I ride a lot on hilly terrain, some good, some bad in Carrabassett Valley, ME, but I am still amazed at how nasty CircumBurke felt. That climbing in the beginning puts you right up against the wall. I was psyched to hear chatter at the orchard aid stn about the second half being easier. With the exception of the Gold Road trail, it was easier...but the Gold Rd was starting to feel like an eco-challenge with the mud, climbs, streams, and crap weather. Great fun... Can't wait to do it again next year.

Reading about the Victory trails on the CircumBurke website makes it sound like the ST out there is open for riding any time?? Just a bugger to get to?

backwoods and backwards
    I think there is a plan to include the Victory trails into the KTA at some point, but not open yet. Probably need a local contact and get a tour.

My legs still hurt a bit.
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    kt really needs some trails where you actually feel like yer out in the wilderness. like desperately. I feel more remote on trails between rte 1 and the ocean here in maine

no joke.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    kt really needs some trails where you actually feel like yer out in the wilderness. like desperately. I feel more remote on trails between rte 1 and the ocean here in maine

no joke.

rog
    I think it's a trail density thing. Over developed networks just lose that feel, even if they are in the middle of no where. When you're squirling around over the same terrain on different trails, you lose that sense of a tour and start to feel like you're in a contrived bike park, imo. Sounds like a fun event. Under-ridden, middle-of-nowhere are buzz phrases that get me stoked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I think it's a trail density thing. Over developed networks just lose that feel, even if they are in the middle of no where. When you're squirling around over the same terrain on different trails, you lose that sense of a tour and start to feel like you're in a contrived bike park, imo.
    ^^^^^^that's kt in a nutshell.

rog

mtbr member
    Temps in the 30's, a brutal climb out of the starting gate, freezing rain, mud pits... What's not to like?

I had a blast.... until I busted chainstay on my bike jumping over a stream. It was right at the end of the Gold trail, right before all that descending down McGill. Doh! I had to walk the bike a few miles to the road...

I still had a great time and can't wait til next year. Nice write-up Ant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    At least you got to experience most of what the Gold Trail had to offer

I realized last night I have been riding for two weeks with a broken rear triangle, last night it finally completely broke and really caught my attention. I look forward to riding circumburke next year with an uncompromised frame!

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^^^that's kt in a nutshell.

rog
    I think that's the risk you get with any developed trail network. I love the remote thing but I do most of my riding solo and don't really care to be MIA for days at a time out in the wilds of Victory should something go wrong. I guess we both serve a purpose.

Not to derail this top too much, but I've wondered if there were some way we could collaboratively map out all the class-4 roads in the region that would be good for mountain biking. I live a few miles from E. Burke and know about miles of doubletrack that fits the remote descriptor but it's not always easy to find the first time around.

BTW, if you really want to feel remote, biking the circumburke route in the winter gives you that sensation on steroids.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I think it's a trail density thing. Over developed networks just lose that feel, even if they are in the middle of no where. When you're squirling around over the same terrain on different trails, you lose that sense of a tour and start to feel like you're in a contrived bike park, imo. Sounds like a fun event. Under-ridden, middle-of-nowhere are buzz phrases that get me stoked!
    Agreed. KT is like an overgrown bike park and that's kinda what I like about it. It's super easy to put together an all day 30+ mile ride on ripping trails one day and the next day do shuttle runs and lift rides. Now if I lived there I would want more but for a few weekends a year it's fantastic. This addition of trails in Victory does give you that long backcountry style ride that KT is missing.

As far as Circumburke goes I think you'd like the ride. I did it last year and it reminded me a lot of the rides you've taken us on out at Stowe. Kind of a long grueling slog to get out there. Once your there you are treated to some pretty good singletrack out in the middle of nowhere. Once that's over there's a long slog back to get back into the system. I was pretty surprised how much those 25 miles took out of me last year. I was gonna do it but I couldn't get anyone to go with me so I just rode part of the system.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Agreed. KT is like an overgrown bike park and that's kinda what I like about it. It's super easy to put together an all day 30+ mile ride on ripping trails one day and the next day do shuttle runs and lift rides. Now if I lived there I would want more but for a few weekends a year it's fantastic. This addition of trails in Victory does give you that long backcountry style ride that KT is missing.

As far as Circumburke goes I think you'd like the ride. I did it last year and it reminded me a lot of the rides you've taken us on out at Stowe. Kind of a long grueling slog to get out there. Once your there you are treated to some pretty good singletrack out in the middle of nowhere. Once that's over there's a long slog back to get back into the system. I was pretty surprised how much those 25 miles took out of me last year. I was gonna do it but I couldn't get anyone to go with me so I just rode part of the system.
    Yea. There is alot goin on there and I am glad for that place. The Mtn side is awesome if you like riding the lifts (or so I hear). I am certainly more interested in a circumburke type event then a day hanging out at the resort area or doing Darling with 400 other users. Way to keep it diverse KT.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    that first climb looked brutal

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the burke mountain side of kt is great w/o using the lifts. climb almost everything, descend everything. they've definitely added some good stuff on the mountain. even that longer demo loop at the nembafest which had you climbing on a great mix of everything to get from the lower base lodge up to the ccc and down j-bar had more great riding packed into 4 miles than any riding i'd bother doing on darling hill. was a great loop for demoing the 6" travel bikes in that +- 30lb category. you found out real quick which ones climbed and descended better than others.

when I owned a home and lived in e burke for a time I used to often ride up the burke trail system on the mountain, up ccc, down the backside, across victory and up to the top of east mountain, the highest mountain in the NEK (9 mile climb), then descend down to my dads house in east haven then loop through a mix of duo track and white school area stuff to darling and down. good 40+ miles, 4-ish hours ride depending on exact route on the rigid ss pushing 36-18t. that east mountain climb is ballz

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Burke backside/Victory is thick with deer flies and mosquitoes. In fact some slow rider from RI/NJ would most likely be carried away and drained of blood by the deer fly army in July or August.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    when I owned a home and lived in e burke for a time I used to often ride up the burke trail system on the mountain, up ccc, down the backside, across victory and up to the top of east mountain, the highest mountain in the NEK (9 mile climb), then descend down to my dads house in east haven then loop through a mix of duo track and white school area stuff to darling and down. good 40+ miles, 4-ish hours ride depending on exact route on the rigid ss pushing 36-18t. that east mountain climb is ballz
    I've done pretty much that same ride, although it was quite a few years ago. East Mtn area is HUGE and the climb is surprisingly long. I should try to fit that in sometime in the near future. It might make for an epic winter fatbike jaunt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant-Eater View Post
    I've done pretty much that same ride, although it was quite a few years ago. East Mtn area is HUGE and the climb is surprisingly long. I should try to fit that in sometime in the near future. It might make for an epic winter fatbike jaunt.
    that area and climb would be amazing on a fatbike! the climb up to the top to the old radar buildings with all the views would be a brilliant winter adventure. that climb from granby would make for one of the best uphill time trials in the northeast. last time I climbed it was about a year and a half ago when I did that whole ride including the burke stuff on my cross bike with 700x33's. the jake the snake was so great for the climb after tearing a$$ across victory after descending burke. yowza.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Could you ride the Circumburke route outside of the event time? (assuming you paid your dues to KT/Burke)

Looks like a fun spring challenge for a longer MTB ride.

mtbr member

CircumBurke

Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Could you ride the Circumburke route outside of the event time? (assuming you paid your dues to KT/Burke)

Looks like a fun spring challenge for a longer MTB ride.
    Officially, no.
    There is a portion of the Circumburke course that traverses state land (Victory State Forest) that is currently off limits to bikes. My understanding is that MTBs are allowed on much of VSF, though Weir Brook Road- which is the gated road that veers left off of the CCC road- is one of two roads in VSF that are off limits. The Vt. Dept of Forests, Parks, and Recreation help a special meeting a couple of months ago that allowed for the Circumburke event use Weir Brook Road, though only on 10/27. FP&R held another meeting a couple of weeks later to allow for public input in preparation for their rewriting of the Management Plan for Victory State Forest. (This new plan will result in policy for 10+ years.) VSF's current management plan is the reason why bikers are not allowed on that road, so many local MTBers showed up for the meeting. It was not a forum, though everyone there was given an opportunity to share their viewpoints at various "stations" at the meeting. Needless to say, the "Recreation" station was inundated with MTBers who were calling for Weir Brook Road to be opened to cyclists. As far as I could tell, there were no other user groups there who were calling for it to remain off-limits to cyclists. That being said, this meeting is not the only place where FP&R gets input or direction regarding the new management plan.
    My understanding is that the new management plan will take another 12-18 months to be drafted and implemented. I think that our voices were heard pretty loud and clear, so my hope is that Weir Brook Road and all of VSF will be opened to MTB use, and hopefully (limited) trail development in the not-too-distant future.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, Chris. Thanks for such a thorough reply. I hope that the FP&R has an open mind about allowing access on that road.

I had heard of trails in VSF but am not at all familiar with the area. I love full day rides with a mix of gravel/carriage road and single track, especially adventuring like that. It would be nice to have another option and even more trails in an area known for its amazing trail building. Best of luck.