mtbr member

CircumBukre Riders, Past and Present

I've never done any sort of racing, or a really even an organized ride of this kind. I'm considering riding the CircumBurke this year. I can ride 20-30 mile rides at Kingdom Trails, 30 is about my max I think. I understand the CircumBurke isn't on many KT trails. I'm trying to get an idea if this is feasible for me to do. How grueling is it really? Lots of double track or easier riding or is it mostly single track? Lots of climbs? Do most people ride it like a race?

Index

mtbr member
    I would say 20 miles should not be a problem for you. I would check on the vertical though.

Check out the map posted here: Map

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    How grueling is it really? Lots of double track or easier riding or is it mostly single track? Lots of climbs? Do most people ride it like a race?

Index
    The circumburke is only as grueling as you make it. It doesn't have to be raced and many people completed it last year at their own pace. The worst part of the route is the first two or three miles which climb up lodge and camptown trails to the CCC road. From there it climbs the CCC road around to the back side of Burke mountain. It's quite a bit of climbing all up front. Once you get past that, it goes up and down but never as much up as that. The single-track on the back side is surprisingly good. I really wish that KT would make this route a regular trail, although with the caveat that you shouldn't ride back there all by yourself.

The trails are mostly double track and there is quite a bit of mud to be found. I thought it was a lot of fun and am planning on doing it again this year. Here's my report from last year: Circumburke Challenge 2011 Single-Speed Slogging

mtbr member
    Sounds doable for me. I'd like to push myself to a certain extent just to see what I can do on it. I'm not a racer by any means though. The initial climb would be the worst part. I ride from in town up burn'em and up the road to the CCC road so I can do J Bar from time to time. I'm not fast but I can do it. Probably have to mount up some more mud friendly tires.